Looking for some advice.

Y

ysuee

Hey All,

I've been a mac user for about two years now and have become more and more impressed by the stability offered by Unix.

However, I still live in both worlds (XP and OSX) and my programming roots are windows based (sorry :) ).

I'm trying to determine which direction I should head for writing a program that gives me access to the USB ports on a Mac, and allows me to correlate it to a web atmosphere. Basically, I'd have a device attached to a USB port (or multiple), and I'd use an OSX USB driver to write to a database, in turn - use dreamweaver to build a WEB that interfaced with this database.

I'm not sure what software I should use to write an app that can talk to my USB ports, as well as load them into a chosen database. I think once I have the data collected into a database, I can handle the WEB side of this, but I want to take this one step at a time.

I installed Xcode and I was ready to take off when I said - "wait a minute, this isn't exactly visual studio."

My programming background is in C++, VB and ASP (with VB script & Java Script) but I haven't written for about 3 years (hence the ASP and not ASP.net)

I'm asking for some advice on what books would be a good aid for me to purchase in order to help me achieve what I'm trying to do. I stopped in at my locals Border's bookstore the other night, and there was quite an array (not a java array ;) ) to choose from.

So here is what I almost picked up for a starter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...n=507846&s=books&v=glance?tag=macforums0e4-20

Any suggestions?

Another major thought in my mind is the transition to little endian, which is what Intel uses (vs OSX big endian). Obviously, I don't want to get burned by this if I flip the wrong bit after the architecture changes....

I realize I may have really 'broad brushed' this, but I really wanted to hear everyone's thoughts since there may be other 'projects' I attempt to tackle on OSX.

Your suggestions on any books, sites, software, etc will be greatly appreciated......

Thanks for reading,
Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.