Can't send email

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.7.3, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5; 4GB memory; 1333 MHz DDR3
I have spent an entire day trying to reconnect my Mac Mail to the outgoing Comcast server to no avail. I called Comcast and they say it is an Apple problem. There are no "help" pages addressing Macs. I have three Macs running 10.7.2 and can get the mail if I log in to the Comcast accounts, and can send. Am still receiving my mail--just the outgoing server keeps saying "offline".

:'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5Ghz OS X LION 10.7.3
I have spent an entire day trying to reconnect my Mac Mail to the outgoing Comcast server to no avail. I called Comcast and they say it is an Apple problem. There are no "help" pages addressing Macs. I have three Macs running 10.7.2 and can get the mail if I log in to the Comcast accounts, and can send. Am still receiving my mail--just the outgoing server keeps saying "offline".

:'

I had the same issue with my AOL email account and got the solution here (based on a similar problem with Gmail !!). Assuming that your settings are correct for the output server, then you need to change your password in your original email account. On the face of it it doesn't appear logical, especially as the incoming is being picked up okay - but it definitely worked for me..... (I started the thread on this in the OS X forum about one week ago if you want to check it out). Good Luck

correction - it was on this forum on 29th feb

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which original account--Mac or Comcast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5Ghz OS X LION 10.7.3
Which original account--Mac or Comcast?

I had to log in directly to my AOL email account and change the password there, then amend the details within MAIL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
I have comcast as well and I had to go in the the mail setup and enter a passwrod for the SMTP, not sure why it didnt do it when I set it up. Im not sure if this is your issue or not.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have changed password, changed ports, and otherwise spent a full day of frustration on this. Called Comcast and they said they'd fix it for $50. Talked to Mac folks here, and they'll do it for $37.50. Have not yet yielded to temptation, but am getting there!

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Anne

C

chas_m

Not being able to send email out from one's home computer is almost always down to:

a. SMTP is not correct configured (wrong SMTP name, wrong port, wrong security level, et al)
b. Password or username typo

I think we've eliminated B so that leaves A. Take a break, relax, then go over the settings (preferably with a friend who has the same ISP and is using the same program) so you can compare any differences).

If Comcast and "mac folks" know how much to charge, that implies that they know what the problem is. Did they tell you what they think the problem is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.