iTunes Help!

Reaction score
I recently was rearranging my files through out my Mac. Within my music folder I put the four files; iTunes Library Extras.itdb, iTunes Library Genius.itb, iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Music Library.xml within my actual iTunes folder. The next day I open my iTunes to discover it is a brand new library with nothing in it, like I just installed iTunes for the first time. I moved these four files back to where they originally were and still didn’t change anything. The last time iTunes saved my library was six months ago, so I loaded that previous library. Everything was in there minus the 1100 song different between those months. All my music is still in my music folder. Is there any way I can just get my most up to date library back to normal? Every time I open iTunes it says “Previous Library”. Is my most updated library with all my updated playlists gone for good?

C

chas_m

Why would you move the iTunes files from where they (obviously) need to be?

Actually, putting them back and overwriting the replacement files MIGHT fix things if you then open iTunes with the option key held down and direct it to this "new" library you've re-created.

I love your phrasing of "the last time iTunes saved my library" ... do you mean Time Machine? Either way, iTunes isn't responsible for backing up your music library, you are. This is exactly what Time Machine is for.

If you've overwritten the old files with new ones, and don't have a backup, then yes the updated library is gone for good. You can re-import the 1100 songs and reconstruct your playlists in the "new" library.

I'd suggest that if the music library is important to you, backing it up more often is probably a good idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.