Partitioning Failure

Reaction score
I'm trying to partition my hard drive so that I can dual-boot Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop onto it. I've done it before, but to free up some space I had to remove it. I installed reFIt, burned my disk, and opened up Boot Camp Assistant. I allocated about 30 GB to the Ubuntu partition, and then click start. It immediately froze. My mouse still worked, and could move around, but I couldn't open/close applications, nor could I force quit Boot Camp. I tried switching Spaces, and then my mouse wouldn't even work. The only solution was a hard-reset. I tried again to no avail. I then decided to take the hard road and set up the partitions myself in Disk Utility; same problem.

I just really want to dual-boot Linux, so if anyone else has encountered this problem and fixed it, your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaving for school in a minute, but in certain classes, I'll be able to check on the post, so if you need more information, just ask.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2010 13-inch, if you want to get specs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like it might be a problem with the hard drive. Run Disk Utility from your original install DVD and verify the hard drive. If the drive verifies OK, the partition table may be messed up. That may require an erase of the drive and reinstall.

However, before doing anything above..... since you already had Linux installed at one time, try doing a PRAM reset to release what's in the NVRAM. Let's see if that works first.

OP
B
Reaction score
PRAM Reset

However, before doing anything above..... since you already had Linux installed at one time, try doing a PRAM reset to release what's in the NVRAM. Let's see if that works first.

What else will happen if I reset the PRAM? I just want to know all of the potential "side effects" before I go right into this.

Reaction score
Done it many times and never seen any. Very safe to reset PRAM, and recommended periodically anyway.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.