• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Would You Want a Touch Screen Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Just wondering how many people would welcome a touch screen iMac or macbook?

I for one wouldn't. Part of the iMac / Macbook appeal for me is their appearance and I can't imagine anything worse than a less than immaculate finger smudged screen sitting in the room needing constant cleaning :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11.6,Macbook 13,ipad 1,ipod Classic,iphone 4S
Not for me.Love using the keyboard on my Macbook Air.For "touch-screen",I use my ipad 1.Cleaned often,due to "family" use,I have to say.Seen touchscreen's in local stores,running Windows 7,and although they look cool,I wont invest in one.Maybe I am old school,but have spent years "moaning" about a keyboard that "does not respond".Too old now to change my ways. :Mischievous:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just wondering how many people would welcome a touch screen iMac or macbook?

I for one wouldn't. Part of the iMac / Macbook appeal for me is their appearance and I can't imagine anything worse than a less than immaculate finger smudged screen sitting in the room needing constant cleaning :'(

Been discussed before:;)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/251217-touch-screen-imac.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/251130-ive-heard-rumors-about-imac.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/deleted-threads/250886-touchscreen-imac.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/212969-touch-screen-imac-patent.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/212393-desktop-ipad.html

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
For me no way Jose! You will have to be close to the screen for an IMac and I just don,t see that happening.

IPads are made for touchscreen and that is good enough for me.

I know a couple people that have touchscreen HP computers and they don,t even use the touchscreen 10 percent of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
No, but I want a wacom cintiq.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
As petty as it sounds, it's the finger smudged screen that kills it for me. Bugs me to no end to have them on my iPhone. And that my own fingers! It really chapped me when someone runs their greasy fingers all over my Linux screen. But I see touch screen as the wave of the future. Probably be just a matter of time before it's offered for Mac desktop/laptop products. In the mean time, I'll stick to my touch pad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I do. But not on the glossy glass screens. I hate the glossy glass screens apple insists on foisting on us.

Surely matte can happen. They did it on CRTs, and they've put a man on the moon at least several times that I know of, so, it can happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I already have it in the form of an iPhone and iPad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I wanted a touch screen I would buy an iPad. I own an iPad and iPhone so don't need a touch screen on my desktop thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
I love it on the phones and pads, but have no interest what so ever for it on my computers.....

Reaction score
I don't see how it would improve anything on the full-capability computer end. A real keyboard is far nicer to use than a virtual keyboard, and as long ans my hands are down on the real keyboard, whether a desktop or laptop, I would not want to have to reach out the the touch screen for mouse operations when a trackpad below my thumb (on a MacBook) or a mouse next to the keyboard (for a desktop) is much more convenient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
What might be good is - once Apple perfects the near-field sensors they're developing for future generations of the iPad, to allow three-dimensional gestures to be used - to have Macs that have ability to do some basic functions (i.e. scrolling through a document, or through files via the coverflow style view in the Finder, switching between full-screen apps, raising/lowering volume, zooming, etc.) via gestures made in mid-air in front of the screen.

I could see that being useful vs. doing everything via a trackpad and/or mouse...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm OCD when it comes to fingerprints on my screen. So, for that reason, I'd have so go with a big NO!. I've also tinkered with all-in-one pc setups from HP before, and all I have to say is that you think you're going to have fun with it, but you don't. A "PC" is not setup to run with finger movements well, at least for as long as your finger is activating the cursor underneath. If Apple could change how that works, maybe by making an OS based off of iOS controls, it might work better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.