• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hypocrisy at its best!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, I have a BlackBerry PlayBook. I really like it. It's a really good device. What I can't stand about it has absolutely nothing to do with the device itself, but with the people associated with it on BlackBerry forums, along with just about any other BB user. It's driving me NUTS! So many hypocrites...OMG! I don't wish to say something about myself, but those people on that specific forum(the largest one) just about sound like a bunch of blind people who make absolutely ANY kind of excuse to fit their argument. I go in there for some tips and general advice, and I end up getting sidetracked from conversations dealing with something VS. Apple. It's ALWAYS against Apple, and Apple ALWAYS is the bad guy. And for those few people that use devices from both companies...it doesn't go so well for them.

3 recent examples:
-"You don't like BB? Of course you don't, you use an iPhone!"

-"Don't like BB? Just some more Apple sheeple!"

-Sales rep states the PB isn't good, so he responds with "let me guess you're an apple jock sniffer aren't you?" Sales rep says he owns an HP TouchPad.

They themselves use BB and hate Apple. Are they that blind to not realize the hypocrisy in this?

I literally can't find ONE topic without someone eventually starting crap about BB vs. Apple and their users.

I like the PB, but the community seems to be filled with a bunch of morons! As good as the PB is, I want a community where I can go in for advice, feedback, and just about anything else worthy of talking about, without reading a bunch of crap from these people, and because of that, I can't see owning this much longer
knowing that there are actual worthy communities that aren't files with consist at hypocritical crap.
I don't understand how someone could be so full of themselves to think it's their way or the highway.
They all seem like a bunch of 10 year olds.

I have a feeling BB isn't going under just because they are slow to adapt, it's their user community just as much. Sad, because they can actually make a darn good device.

I would state what the forum is, but it's not nice to state a forum within a forum.

Just had to vent for a bit.

I like this place. A LOT. I actually think we get spoiled by the tidiness, and etiquette setting of Mac-Forums.
Bring on the iPad 3!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think we're lucky in one respect: the fanboys tend to fade away quickly or they get corrected (I like to think I help with the "correction" haha). That said, the Apple community as a whole can be fairly pretentious and hypocritical. Although that's the case, it's not unique - every community has rabid fanboys who would defend their favourite brand to the death. This is why I'm not surprised that RIM is any different. Interestingly, as someone who's lived in Waterloo, I never noticed such rabid apologetics "close to home."

When you're down on luck (as RIM is rignt now), you tend to lash out. The response from that community (CrackBerry?) doesn't seem to be all that different. That doesn't take away from their lack of reasoned thinking however.

I truly wish more people took my approach to devices (and on many other things but that's for another thread) - use what's best for the job and respect that others like different tools for the same job. I couldn't care less if someone owned a PlayBook, Android tablet, webOS tablet or an iPad. What do I care?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't let it worry you and get under your skin. The more you react the more crap you will get. There are many serious problems than mobile phones.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
"You don't like BB? Of course you don't, you use an iPhone!"

This was actually a valid point. To use the PIM (Email/Calendar/Contacts) you needed a Blackberry phone to pair with your playbook. I guess with 2.0 they have a native app now.

I used a BB back in the dark ages when it just did email. Even today it still has the best thumb keyboard out there.

I went to a Windows OS phone back in the day ~2002 before the Blackberry had a phone - I have had a converged device of some sort every since - just not a Blackberry.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Lol, try a PC forum. Full of pretentious flamers who:

A) generally ridicule newcomers, with patronizing replies and sarky posts (and the mods do nothing about it)

B) have a devout loyalty to certain brands, and an unfounded hatred for Apple

C) use stupid memes everywhere - i get it, an "arrow in the knee", "But can it run Crysis", "stupid post is stupid" stop now already.

D) have animated GIF avatars.

Thats not to say there arent respectable members, but a good majority of them fit into one of those categories.

In my mind, Mac-Forums is a place where you talk about everything, and you are allowed an opinion. If you dont like something, and have a justifiable reason to back it up, its accepted here, and thats what i like about the place.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Comeback deleted by Vansmith. Reason: Too good

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I really hope RIM has a resurgence now that they've freed themselves of their co-CEOs. Hopefully their rigid philosophies left with them.

QNX is an amazing OS, and one that shouldn't be limited to mobile devices. It was my hope that with RIM pushing it into the consumer space, it might gain some traction and maybe even become an OS X alternative.

I've yet to try a Playbook. We had several of them in testing at work that we were considering as an alternative to the iPad. I think we leaned toward the iPad, so I'm hopeful I may be able to snag a Playbook at some point

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hypocrisy is a good thing? Or maybe you meant "Hypocrisy at its worst"?

Now, I know that some "young turks" on Wall Street believe Gordon Gekko, who isn't even real, but isn't that backwards?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hypocrisy is a good thing? Or maybe you meant "Hypocrisy at its worst"?

Now, I know that some "young turks" on Wall Street believe Gordon Gekko, who isn't even real, but isn't that backwards?

"Gordon Gekko" . . . Isn't he the spokesman for Geico Insurance Company? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I just have to laugh that Blackberry users have adopted the term "sheeple". I find that hilarious. I know it's an old saying, but I never knew it was applied to such weighty topics a Blackberries. I think of it more in the mortal sense. Anyhow, who cares what piece of tech someone else uses? Tools.

On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Comeback deleted by Vansmith. Reason: Too good
Touché Mr. Duckworth, touché.

I really hope RIM has a resurgence now that they've freed themselves of their co-CEOs. Hopefully their rigid philosophies left with them.

QNX is an amazing OS, and one that shouldn't be limited to mobile devices. It was my hope that with RIM pushing it into the consumer space, it might gain some traction and maybe even become an OS X alternative.

I've yet to try a Playbook. We had several of them in testing at work that we were considering as an alternative to the iPad. I think we leaned toward the iPad, so I'm hopeful I may be able to snag a Playbook at some point
I think you might like it if you can manage a 7" form factor (much too small for me). The OS is slick and the multitasking is second to none. It's lightning fast as well. In my short time with it, I was mighty impressed and was tempted to get one when they had one of their many fire sales (a lack of apps I needed stopped me at the last minute).

If you can manage using the default apps and not much past that (the PB's Achilles' heel is the lack of third party support), I think you'll be pleasantly satisfied.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"Gordon Gekko" . . . Isn't he the spokesman for Geico Insurance Company? ;)

LOL! Reminds me of the years I spent in Hawaii. Those things were all over our rented house. My wife would start screaming at me to get rid of them and I would try to explain that they were beneficial because they ate the Hawaiian Roaches. (which were plentiful) :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
LOL! Reminds me of the years I spent in Hawaii. Those things were all over our rented house. My wife would start screaming at me to get rid of them and I would try to explain that they were beneficial because they ate the Hawaiian Roaches. (which were plentiful) :p

I think I would rather have a Gekko hang out in my house than some roaches. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Sometimes, the jokes write themselves...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
This isn't nearly limited to just BB v.s. Apple, Windows v.s. Apple, etc. What it really seems to be is that somebody gets attached to a brand of electronics (or anything else really) and as a result, will defend it to the absolute death. Usually in flame wars over the internet. ;) I've been on forums before where they hated Apple to the core, Steve Jobs was the incarnate of evil, it was pretty pathetic actually. Whenever one brave soul came forward and said they don't hate Apple. Not even that they liked but, but were so much as neutral about it, they would get so much negative Rep they would be auto banned within an hour or two, or a Staff member would ban them (the staff were just as biased as the members themselves)

When Steve passed was when I finally had to draw the line. The comments that were made were just absolutely disgusting. A real marvel of how bad human nature really can be. I don't like windows, but I'm not going to rejoice when Bill Gates passes away!

I left after that, haven't been back since. And I suppose the moral of the story is, just ignore them. No matter how many good points you make, no matter how convincing your argument is, you can't win.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This isn't nearly limited to just BB v.s. Apple, Windows v.s. Apple, etc. What it really seems to be is that somebody gets attached to a brand of electronics (or anything else really) and as a result, will defend it to the absolute death. Usually in flame wars over the internet. ;) I've been on forums before where they hated Apple to the core, Steve Jobs was the incarnate of evil, it was pretty pathetic actually. Whenever one brave soul came forward and said they don't hate Apple. Not even that they liked but, but were so much as neutral about it, they would get so much negative Rep they would be auto banned within an hour or two, or a Staff member would ban them (the staff were just as biased as the members themselves)

When Steve passed was when I finally had to draw the line. The comments that were made were just absolutely disgusting. A real marvel of how bad human nature really can be. I don't like windows, but I'm not going to rejoice when Bill Gates passes away!

I left after that, haven't been back since. And I suppose the moral of the story is, just ignore them. No matter how many good points you make, no matter how convincing your argument is, you can't win.

I agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
The upshot is that there will always be people who don't see the difference between their opinion and fact; be they the Windows hoards, BlackBerry hipsters, Fandroids, Apple iFans, or anything else...

It's best to ignore them until the ones who obsess over your own favourite brand start making people with your preference look bad; at which point you should make it abundantly clear that it is their personality that makes them so obnoxious, not their liking of that particular brand.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's best to ignore them until the ones who obsess over your own favourite brand start making people with your preference look bad; at which point you should make it abundantly clear that it is their personality that makes them so obnoxious, not their liking of that particular brand.
As much as that logic is sound, it never seems to work out that way. If that were the case, there would be no fanboys since they'd all be shamed into silence. Unfortunately, they're louder than ever and it appears that this will be the case for some time to come.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.