Password to ATV2 via SSH problem

Reaction score
Hello fellow Apples! I am new to this forum, and am in need of your knowledge.

Tried searching threw the threads about my problem/question.

Here is the thing; I needed to SSH into my ATV today. I typed in the IP to gain access to root via Terminal. After having a good amount of dinner and even a greater amount of beer I started typing my password, but finding my hand hitting enter before I could finish the passphrase. However, I had gained access to my AppleTV.

I was a bit stunned, end ended the session to start a new one. Again I tried with only typing in the first eight letters, and again; I was connected to my AppleTV. Tried with the first seven, and even with another word; this failed. I then accessed it, in a new session and with only the first eight letters, and tried to execute a killall command. This worked.

I have also tried connecting to it using the whole passphrase, with luck as well.

Is this just normal or a bit weird?

I have a ATV2 jailborken with Seas0npass running 4.4.4. I have also installed Plex 0.10 Beta.

I have changed my password to a 15 character long password with lower/upper case, numbers and symbols.

Hope to hear some input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
So, basically any password will get you on to the ATV2?

OP
V
Reaction score
No only get access when typing the first eight characters or more of the password. Any other random words or a lower number than the eight first characters fails to connect.

EDIT:
Will try to see if I get the same issue when trying to SSH to my iPhone 4 later.

EDIT2:
Okay, changed my password on iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken with redsn0w. Changed the passphrase to same I have on the ATV2. And strangely, here I could also only type in the first eight characters of total of 15 to gain access via SSH.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.