Making a G4 backup server, Ubuntu or Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I have decided to turn my G4 into a backup server to store mainly Pictures and music files to keep excess files off of my MBP and to generally back up my important info. Currently It has Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 on it (this is the 996Mhz QuickSilver Tower) currently and my MBP has Lion though Mountain Lion is in the future once it launches. Would it be better to put the latest Ubuntu on it (can I even run that?) or just leave Tiger on it? This will be an offline server by the way, just something I will plug in when I need to backup or access files and then unplug when I don't need it. THanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why muddy the waters? Leave Tiger on the machine. Ubuntu for PPC is not exactly the best, but it does run if you have the patience to fool with it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why muddy the waters? Leave Tiger on the machine. Ubuntu for PPC is not exactly the best, but it does run if you have the patience to fool with it.
As much as I like to sway people to go the Linux route, if you have a house full of Macs, you might as well make the server run the same OS. Homogeneity is your friend here. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Keep it with tiger, and if it's just standard tiger rather than Tiger Server, then you can use share points to easily share more than just a home folder on Tiger

HornWare: SharePoints

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The beauty of using OS X here over Linux is the ease with which you can setup shares. Although Ubuntu's server editions are well documented (quite well if I may say so), it's not as easy as flipping a few switches using a nice UI. If you're new to server work, you might want to stick with the easy route for now.

One option for you might be to learn how Linux works (virtual machines are your friend here). Once you learn the basics (or how to do what you want), you can make it into a Linux server. I only suggest this because, as well as Tiger may work, you may benefit from some of the newer advances afforded to you by using a more up to date operating system.

I knew I'd eventually recommend Linux, haha. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
as well as Tiger may work, you may benefit from some of the newer advances afforded to you by using a more up to date operating system.
Agreed.

While the OP's computer is still going strong with Tiger, and they could potentially get a little more life out of it while still running OS X by upgrading it to Leopard (ideally the server edition thereof); that would cost money, and eventually even Leopard will become outmoded, whereas there will always be plenty of perfectly good & up to date PowerPC ports of linux server distros available (and available free of charge at that).

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Agreed.

While the OP's computer is still going strong with Tiger, and they could potentially get a little more life out of it while still running OS X by upgrading it to Leopard (ideally the server edition thereof); that would cost money, and eventually even Leopard will become outmoded, whereas there will always be plenty of perfectly good & up to date PowerPC ports of linux server distros available (and available free of charge at that).

Well the problem with getting leopard server OS is that the cost is enough for me to ditch the PPC and get a portable USB HDD for backup instead. I was thinking of a Linux Server OS over Leopard, but what would be the main advantage? I know I would be able to run more up to date things on it but what would I gain? I have never used Linux server and this would be my first backup server ever.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stick with OS X then. If you're only doing basic backup, you won't need much more than the basic client version of OS X (you get file sharing and ssh which is enough for most people).

I've got a Linux server sitting behind me. It's pretty easy to setup and configure, it's rock solid and it's free. It's not for everyone however and the fact that I have 7+ years of Linux experience made it much easier to set up. This is why I recommend sticking with OS X while trying out Linux in a VM to see if it's something you like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.