4s battery drain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17 2.8 GHz Intel OS 10.7.3 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Core 2 Duo
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before but the 4s just arrived in my country in january 2012.

I unplugged my iphone at 6am anf it is now 10am and its down to 50% battery life. I have been texting and viewing a few emails, nothing major. This is my first iphone and so far i'm disappointed with the battery. I feel like i ha e to carry around a charger anywhere i go. This is my second week using the phone. I have every other Apple product but i have been a blackberry user for 5 years.

I have been doing some reading on the battery issues and all the suggestions i see are about "dumbing down" the phone. Turning off apps, location services, push, siri....features that make you want to have an iphone, imo.

My usage stats:
Usage 3 hours 44 min
Standby 4 hours 23 min

Does anyone have any suggestions? Did i just get a faulty device? Thanks in advance.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
....and i feel that it gets warm on the backside when i am constantly using the phone. Is this normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before but the 4s just arrived in my country in january 2012.

Yes, it has. ;)

I feel like i ha e to carry around a charger anywhere i go. This is my second week using the phone.

That is a good solution. Keep one in the car, one in your desk at work, one next to the bed to charge at night while you sleep. Etc, etc.

I have been doing some reading on the battery issues and all the suggestions i see are about "dumbing down" the phone. Turning off apps, location services, push, siri....features that make you want to have an iphone, imo.

That's true, those are the suggestions and that is the result. You could try one of the cases that has an extra battery built in but it makes your iPhone kind of bulky. :\

Did i just get a faulty device? Thanks in advance.

Not faulty, just typical for all the features your iPhone is running. There isn't a smartphone on the market that will do everything without draining the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks for the tip. I did a search before but didnt come up with much.

Just another tip. Give it regular, smaller charges rather than big ones from the red zone and beyond. This will keep the Lithium moving about properly and enhance your battery's health:D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it has. ;)

That is a good solution. Keep one in the car, one in your desk at work, one next to the bed to charge at night while you sleep. Etc, etc.

That's true, those are the suggestions and that is the result. You could try one of the cases that has an extra battery built in but it makes your iPhone kind of bulky. :\

Not faulty, just typical for all the features your iPhone is running. There isn't a smartphone on the market that will do everything without draining the battery.

Thanks for the reply. I never had this issue with blackberry. I am not even running any apps on it. I find 29% at 11am with the amount of use i have given it unacceptable.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just another tip. Give it regular, smaller charges rather than big ones from the red zone and beyond. This will keep the Lithium moving about properly and enhance your battery's health:D

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 macbook pro 13.3'' i7 750gb 8gb ram, iPad 3 64gb white, black iPhone 5
i have been through 4 4s's because i thought it was an battery problem but it is a bug that apple are working on and by 5.1.2 it should have cleared up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
You may not be running many apps, but the fact that your phone is "in use" for 90% of the time it's running on battery, suggests that you have a lot of background services running.

Check your notification/location services and turn off the ones that aren't essential/you don't use. If you have an IMAP/POP email account, make sure that emails are pushed opposed to fetched so that your phone isn't checking for emails when there aren't any new ones there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may not be running many apps, but the fact that your phone is "in use" for 90% of the time it's running on battery, suggests that you have a lot of background services running.

Check your notification/location services and turn off the ones that aren't essential/you don't use. If you have an IMAP/POP email account, make sure that emails are pushed opposed to fetched so that your phone isn't checking for emails when there aren't any new ones there.

I have location services off. I could try turnig off some notifications. My work email is a pop account and can only be fetched not pushed on the iphone.

Email and notifications are the services running in the background, dont think any others.

It doesnt seem like you can run the phone to its potential. I never encountered this with the blackberry. I finally switched when my last blacberry's os would get continually get stuck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
My phone doesn't even use half of it's battery during the day. It's the 4S. I have my location services on. I turned Bluetooth off (I don't use it). Wifi is off (I prefer 3G, and even using it as often as I do, I still don't go over the 2GB limit). I turned notifications off for almost all of my apps because they annoy me. I also keep my brightness down. Unless I'm out side, or in a very very well light area, I keep my brightness to about 1/4 of it's max setting. At night, it's at its lowest setting. I don't need it to be any brighter than that, and it's a battery hog. The screen is a big flashlight and will drain your battery. My phone does get hot, but from what I've encountered, all smartphones get hot because when you play games ect. or are even on the phone for a while it takes a lot out of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.