Odd voice message in my Bluetooth headset

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I have a Plantronics Voyager Pro and on occasion I hear a voice message of which I can only catch the last word "medium". I looked in the manual for the headset and nothing. I was wondering if it's an iPhone message of some kind.

Ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a Plantronics Voyager Pro and on occasion I hear a voice message of which I can only catch the last word "medium". I looked in the manual for the headset and nothing. I was wondering if it's an iPhone message of some kind.

It wouldn't be an iPhone message of any sort. The headset you are using appears to issue voice audio alerts under certain scenarios. Perhaps it is telling you that the volume is set to a "medium" level? Or the level of battery charge?

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
You're probably right but the manual makes no mention of it.

Thanks

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plantronics has confirmed that the message is not from the handset. So how do I find out what app is creating these? So far I've heard "factory low" and "factory medium"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check your settings under Bluetooth to make sure that there're no other devices connected to your iPhone.

If there are, investigate those devices. If there are not, then it must be the Plantronics. Your only recourse is to stop using it and try something else in the meanwhile to see if the voice goes away.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The manufacturer clearly stated it's not from the headset, and no other devices are paired.

Maybe the voices are in my head...
Seriously, this really has me stumped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The manufacturer clearly stated it's not from the headset, and no other devices are paired.

So call Apple. When they tell you rather clearly that it's not the iPhone, then you can pick and choose who you want to believe.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did I say it was Apple? I clearly stated that I wondered what APP it was. Sheez, people get so defensive when their assertions are challenged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did I say it was Apple? I clearly stated that I wondered what APP it was. Sheez, people get so defensive when their assertions are challenged.

*sigh*

Nowhere did you say you wondered if it was an app. You wondered if it was an "iPhone message", which could mean anything, including built-in services.

I'm HIGHLY skeptical that it's an app, and have already told you how to rule it out… use something else. If you get the voice while using another headset, then obviously it's not the headset. If you don't get it, then it is the headset. This is the only way you are going to figure this out definitively. If you are satisfied taking the word of a Plantronics grunt, then by all means don't try something else.

Of course if you are convinced it is an app, then you should be analyzing any apps that are running. Best to start by clearing everything off your task switcher to minimize the trouble. Next time you hear the voice, make a note of everything that is in the task switcher. Bear in mind that not everything that is in the task switcher is actually running.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*sigh*

Nowhere did you say you wondered if it was an app. You wondered if it was an "iPhone message", which could mean anything, including built-in services.
See message #4 above...

I'm HIGHLY skeptical that it's an app, and have already told you how to rule it out… use something else. If you get the voice while using another headset, then obviously it's not the headset. If you don't get it, then it is the headset. This is the only way you are going to figure this out definitively. If you are satisfied taking the word of a Plantronics grunt, then by all means don't try something else.

Of course if you are convinced it is an app, then you should be analyzing any apps that are running. Best to start by clearing everything off your task switcher to minimize the trouble. Next time you hear the voice, make a note of everything that is in the task switcher. Bear in mind that not everything that is in the task switcher is actually running.
I don't have another headset, but thanks for the suggestion. That said, why are you so convinced that Plantronics Tech support is wrong about the features of their own product?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See message #4 above…

Oh very well, I stand corrected.

I don't have another headset, but thanks for the suggestion. That said, why are you so convinced that Plantronics Tech support is wrong about the features of their own product?

Tech support people are the bottom rung, least technically competent people in the chain. That's just the reality of things. We get a parade of people through here who are told one thing by Apple (or whoever) and we basically help them prove that what they were told is dead wrong. I hate calling IT people at work because I know more than they do and wish like **** I was allowed to just fix whatever problems I have myself and be done with it.

In your specific case… take the message into context. The word "factory" implies hardware, not software. Although I cannot COMPLETELY rule out it being some app you have (being wholly unaware of what you even have) I can't think of a reason why any app on the iPhone would utter a phrase like what you are hearing. They just aren't allowed deep integration into the hardware, and the message implies something to do with the headset volume. Having used an iPhone since shortly after it debuted, I've never heard the phrase come from it nor heard of anyone having heard the phrase.

So why could the headset be uttering something its not supposed to? Maybe it's malfunctioning. Maybe it's in some factory test mode that is accessed by some fixed combination of button presses that accidentally got pressed by sheer coincidence, or there is a short causing it to enter that mode. Maybe the firmware is corrupted. I had a crazy issue some time back where my old Mac Pro was hanging on boot up… it was stuck on the Apple logo. It resolved when I unplugged the USB cable for my Cinema Display. At first I thought it was the display acting up. But no… it was my Jawbone bluetooth headset. It had never occurred to me to unplug it from the display until someone suggested it because, well hey… I figured it was "just charging". Well the Mac was trying to boot off of it. Seriously. The blasted Jawbone was malfunctioning in some manner, dunno how or when it started, but the guys who helped me with that (highly competent tech heads, I should add) had seen that problem before. Now… if I had called Jawbone tech support and suggested that their headset was keeping my Mac from booting, I'd bet my life's savings they wouldn't have believed me, or insisted it was a problem on Apple's end.

But anywho… back on topic. Your problem may not be the headset, but sheer logic points to it. It's going to be a process of elimination to figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just had one last thought. The voice... does it sound like the same voice for the other "known" audible alerts?

Also try unpairing from your iPhone and pair it with your Mac, then use it for a bit to see if the problem continues to occur.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.