Thunderbolt as external display with IMAC(11,1) late 2009

Reaction score
Hello,

as the title says, I have an intelbased IMAC 11,1 and recently got a thunderbolt monitor. I tried everything to make them work together, did all the neccessary updates , but still, when I go to system profiler, under Thunderbolt it says "no drivers" found. And the updates are not finding anything new. Just then......I found this topic:

Getting the best performance from Thunderbolt

so, is this definite confirmation that this monitor is useless with my IMAC? Why do I then see Thunderbolt under "hardware section" ? I am connecting it with thunderbolt cable, to my IMACS minidisplay port. Is that maybe a problem? Should I get some other type of cable ?

I am not experienced MAC user, but I really can not wrap my mind around the fact that this monitor is just wasted and I can not use it with my IMAC.

All the help, hints and advices are very welcomed.

Greez

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I believe that's a 2009 model iMac, is it not?

If it is, it will not have a Thunderbolt port - although it should have a standard Mini DisplayPort connector - and that should at least send a display output to the monitor, even if it doesn't enable the use of Thunderbolt bus connectivity.

But considering the cost of that monitor, you could probably find a more cost-effective external display. The big advantage of that monitor is its Thunderbolt "hub" and power connectivity for notebook models. If you can't use either, then you might as well go with a third party monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thunderbolt displays require a thunderbolt connection, which appeared in 2011. So no, it won't work with your 2009 iMac.

OP
X
Reaction score
Hello, thanx for the reply! Yes it is a late 2009 model. Exactly, I am connecting it to the mini display port. Well, the thing is that this monitor I didnt buy, we had it in our office, since some ex colleague used it with his laptop.....after he left, they gave monitor to me, because im the only one who should be able to use it, since im only one with (i)MAC :) So, monitor is here, can not be returned.

Anyways, you say tthat connecting it to the minidisplay should be sending the output to it? I saw some hints to do IMAC EFI and SMC updates, but when I download update which is official for my model (from this webpage: EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs), update aagain can not be installed by saying that there is no hardware for it ?!?!?!?!? So I think its maybe some problem with the IMAC.... but cant find similar issues

I believe that's a 2009 model iMac, is it not?

If it is, it will not have a Thunderbolt port - although it should have a standard Mini DisplayPort connector - and that should at least send a display output to the monitor, even if it doesn't enable the use of Thunderbolt bus connectivity.

But considering the cost of that monitor, you could probably find a more cost-effective external display. The big advantage of that monitor is its Thunderbolt "hub" and power connectivity for notebook models. If you can't use either, then you might as well go with a third party monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for the reply Dysfunction. So, apsolutely no existing workaround?

Not that I'm aware of. Call AppleCare, see if they've got something up their sleeves.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for the reply Dysfunction. So, apsolutely no existing workaround?

I would tend to think it should still work as a display through a Mini DisplayPort connection. Make sure you have the right cable. If it's the Apple Thunderbolt cable, that may be the issue.

That display is very new and should still be under warranty. I think your next move would be to call Apple directly and see what your options are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would tend to think it should still work as a display through a Mini DisplayPort connection. Make sure you have the right cable. If it's the Apple Thunderbolt cable, that may be the issue.

That display is very new and should still be under warranty. I think your next move would be to call Apple directly and see what your options are.

Potentially, but this is not the first time I've heard reports of it NOT working with a non-thunderbolt model as a display. Even the minimum requirements state 'Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac'

For all I know, it's input may very well not be mdp standards, but an extension of the pcie bus.. in which case, it would not work.. at all :)

Aha! found an anandtech post that mentions that while it does carry displayport data, it's muxed in. So yep, don't think it'll work.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Potentially, but this is not the first time I've heard reports of it NOT working with a non-thunderbolt model as a display. Even the minimum requirements state 'Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac'

For all I know, it's input may very well not be mdp standards, but an extension of the pcie bus.. in which case, it would not work.. at all :)

Aha! found an anandtech post that mentions that while it does carry displayport data, it's muxed in. So yep, don't think it'll work.

Yeah, that makes sense. Huge bummer.

Well, OP - if you have no use for it, I'd gladly take it off your boss's hands. Ask him what he wants for it ;)

OP
X
Reaction score
Haha, thanx guys. Well yes, the anser is negative, I called today the apple support, and they said, that maybe in 2 months there will be some solution lol :D

Reaction score
Oh, man. I was hoping for a solution. I just bought one of these and hooked it up to my late 2009 iMac (i7) and had the same issue. I really want to keep it and use it with my new Macbook Pro, so I won't get rid of it, but it sucks that I can't also use it as a second display for my iMac..

Maybe an adapter to DVI, then back to displayport..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe an adapter to DVI, then back to displayport..?

That won't work, because it needs a mux'd signal. Without that, it won't work. From the sounds of it, above, Apple may have something up their sleeve. Call them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From the sounds of it, above, Apple may have something up their sleeve. Call them.

What's likely "up their sleeve" will be a very expensive adapter "a la Apple". ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.