Is there ever a chance when buying refurb that you might get new instead?

Reaction score
Just wondering if its only ever once used macs that you get from apple refurbished or is it possible that you may get a brand new one in original packaging? I mean surely when the white macbook got discontinued you would think they may want try and least sell out factory unopened, unsold leftovers right???

Thers a white macbook refurb on sale right now and i kinda want it but i hate that its refurb and afterall the cool box a new one comes in is all part of the experience!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sometimes end of line items are sold in the refurb store. But when you buy a refurb its not some scuffed up second hand mac. Its an as new device complete with shiny new packaging and a full new warranty.

Reaction score
I did lots and lots of research, and it seems that refurb is as good as new.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sometimes end of line items are sold in the refurb store. But when you buy a refurb its not some scuffed up second hand mac. Its an as new device complete with shiny new packaging and a full new warranty.

By all accounts I've seen, the refurb Macs come in plain, brown-box style packaging. My first MacBook Pro (2006 model) was a refurb and came this way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I stand corrected :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My Mac Pro was purchased refurbished, or as Apple likes to call it Remanufactured, from Apple Elk Grove CA in the brown carton and shipped home to Australia no problems. The only difference to a new machine is you get an RM serial number. Same warranty and accessories as a new from the shop model at quite a saving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Can you get AppleCare with a refurb model?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Can you get AppleCare with a refurb model?

Providing its from Apple, yes, same terms as new.

EDIT: Actually, I will have to check, but you may be able to get AppleCare regardless of source of your Mac as long as it is purchased within one year of the original sales date.

EDIT2: I haven't been able to confirm or deny whether you can purchase AppleCare on a used Mac (within the original 1 year warranty). I read the legalese and you could read it either way so I would check with Apple first if inclined to go that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Cheers, Razor!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.