MacBook died during system update

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here. While my MacBook was updating, it ran out of battery power. When I plugged it into my charger and turned it on, the grey screen came up with the apple symbol and the loading circle thing. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're usually given a warning when doing updates that the machine should be plugged into AC power not on battery. Did you miss the warning?

Let the machine fully charge, and then reset the PRAM. Afterward, try booting again. Let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
I did see the warning, for some stupid reason I thought I could beat the system... I tried the PRAM procedure, but it seems to have reverted back to how it was before trying PRAM :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since the machine quit in the middle of an update, there is more than likely damage to OSX depending on which files were being written when the update got interrupted.

Do you have your OSX DVD that came with your machine? What version of OSX is on your Mac?

OP
M
Reaction score
I unfortunately don't have my disk, I'm at college and it's back home. I'm using Lion, which I installed through the App Store (if that makes any difference).

Reaction score
can you restart and hold command + R to get into restore mode and then reinstall lion?

OP
M
Reaction score
I restored it, but it's taking an unnervingly long time to verify my computers eligibility with Apple.. Will this mean I lose everything in my computer?

EDIT: it's still trying to verify my eligibility... Any reason this would be taking so long?

OP
M
Reaction score
I gave up on trying to restore it, it's still "Loading Installation Information"..
Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
I don't know, you may have to call apple care? I have googled it and can't find anything like what you're experiencing.
Did you try opening in safe mode? Shut down and then restart and hold the shift key. I don't know what that can do, but it may at least get you back into the computer. You may be able to start the upgrade again from there?

Reaction score
The shift key should be pressed as soon as possible after the start-up tone, but not before it.

Reaction score
Okay, you are supposed to release the shift key when the spinning gear appears on the grey screen. I didn't mention that before, sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.