• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Community Profile - Browsers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How else would those who know me expect me to build a profile? ;)

So, over the last two days, I've been running a script which analyzes the user agent string of people who are online at random points during the day. I did this because I was interested in developing an understanding of what browsers people really used. Did many of our users stick to Safari? Did many of you download a superior browser or did you use Firefox? How many of us use the best browser? How many of you were clearly browsing at work (I'm looking at you IE users)? (Oh yes, I'll take any chance I can get to critique browsers).

I realize that we have a "which browser do you use" thread but that doesn't tell me much - it tells me what you were using when you posted and that's it. Our browsing habits change and some of us use multiple browsers which makes a one time post largely irrelevant. Plus, this script got all users - those who posted in that thread are likely those who care about browsers and I wanted to present a much richer understanding.

So, without wasting more of your time, here are the results. I took 29 samples which included 1307 users. For those that don't know, "PubSub" is the Safari RSS reader.

Screen Shot 2012-02-14 at 11.13.51 PM.jpg

And, for the visual learners:

image001.png

image002.png

Limits:
  1. If it wasn't Safari, Firefox, Opera or Chrome, I didn't count it. That includes you SeaMonkey (yes, there was at least one of those).
  2. These samples were taken during my daytime. Read that as EST so there is a bias.
  3. If you spoof your user agent string, you skewed the results. :p
  4. I didn't count mobile devices for one simple reason: 95% of you are using iOS and 99% of those will be Safari (including Atomic users).

Nota bene: I don't expect this to stand up to statistical scrutiny but I figure it gives us a rough understanding.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You finally figured out something you could use Google Chart Tools for... :D. On the bright side - you get the nerd gold medal for the day. :D

C

chas_m

So what you're saying here is that Safari is the dominant browser on the Mac?

I for one am shocked. SHOCKED! :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I honestly do find the results to be surprising. Although Safari has the greatest percentage of users, it is significantly less than 1/3 (at least in your limited sample) and that strikes me as quite low for what should in theory be the default choice.

I use FireFox mainly because I switched on my Windows machines and when I transitioned to Mac I stuck with what I had gotten used to. But, the above (if truly representative of the larger Mac base) seems to point to significant real or perceived shortcomings with Safari.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How many of you were clearly browsing at work (I'm looking at you IE users)?

Hey now I resemble that comment..but I'm hiding with the Chrome users so you can't find me..:p

It is as expected to note that Chrome and Firefox are running neck to neck and that Safari is the most popular browser..

Amazingly, nothing in the chart looks crazy..

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not surprised either. Although, more people here use the RSS feed than I had thought.

These results are somewhat reflective of general trend (with some substitutions) - Chrome and Firefox are relatively even and Safari (combined with the RSS reader) is roughly equivalent to IE's market share of 50-60%. In this sample, IE has roughly the same user base that Safari does in global market share. And of course, Opera is under appreciated.

On the bright side - you get the nerd gold medal for the day. :D
Can I sell that for cash?

I use FireFox mainly because I switched on my Windows machines and when I transitioned to Mac I stuck with what I had gotten used to. But, the above (if truly representative of the larger Mac base) seems to point to significant real or perceived shortcomings with Safari.
I suppose it could be argued that many Mac users come from Windows (or Linux) where Safari is either non existent (Linux) or irrelevant (Windows) which might explain why significant portions of the user base use something else.

Hey now I resemble that comment..but I'm hiding with the Chrome users so you can't find me..:p
Oh, you can't hide that well - clearly you're at work. Your IP is listed as pba.army.mil and you're using IE 8. :p

WLH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 " iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB Mem 1TB HD - 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB
I must be the 1 SeaMonkey...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
yikes.

is this a secret governmental spy agency?
;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
I'm not surprised either. Although, more people here use the RSS feed than I had thought.

These results are somewhat reflective of general trend (with some substitutions) - Chrome and Firefox are relatively even and Safari (combined with the RSS reader) is roughly equivalent to IE's market share of 50-60%. In this sample, IE has roughly the same user base that Safari does in global market share. And of course, Opera is under appreciated.

Can I sell that for cash?

I suppose it could be argued that many Mac users come from Windows (or Linux) where Safari is either non existent (Linux) or irrelevant (Windows) which might explain why significant portions of the user base use something else.

Oh, you can't hide that well - clearly you're at work. Your IP is listed as pba.army.mil and you're using IE 8. :p

this is a cool thread... This last one where you told Razor his IP was great.... :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
That was really interesting to see.

I use Opera on my Windows machine and I really love it. However, I use Chrome due to issues with Opera and Safari on my Mac. They both tend to freeze and crash. Plus, Opera still has scrolling issues that aren't yet fixed in 11.61 or 12.00.

I am still surprised how many people still use Firefox... I thought most of those people jumped ship to Chrome. I may give it another go, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I recently ditched safari as my default, because I've been finding safari buggy, and bloated in general. Chrome seemed much faster, so I thought the only really way to tell, is to use it everyday for a bit.

So far, it beats safari by a long shot.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus, Opera still has scrolling issues that aren't yet fixed in 11.61 or 12.00.
What scrolling issues are you seeing? Scrolling seems fine here.

I am still surprised how many people still use Firefox... I thought most of those people jumped ship to Chrome. I may give it another go, but it just doesn't feel right to me.
Many did but it seems as if Chrome's growth has leveled off a bit lately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
What scrolling issues are you seeing? Scrolling seems fine here.
They fixed the scrolling for the trackpad so it was very similar to all the other browsers (I believe one pixel at a time), but it brought on a big issue with certain sites, such as Google News, where the CPU usage would go through the roof while scrolling. It is very laggy, but it is a known issue so it will probably be fixed sometime soon.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
this is a cool thread... This last one where you told Razor his IP was great.... :Cool:

Except of course, Van's only partly right that I'm at work (which I am), but don't work for the military..that part was a joke..;)

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Except of course, Van's only partly right that I'm at work (which I am), but don't work for the military..that part was a joke..;)
You know, I have a tendency to get you and Razormac screwed up (maybe it was him?) - all you razors look alike. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Don't make me mod this thing so it reports as Lynx ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I alternate between Safari/Firefox/Chrome constantly within 1 day. Does that mean you took my stats 3 times?

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may have taken your usage into account multiple times. I did a "snapshot" of who was online at random times over a two day period and as someone who's fairly active, I have no doubt that you are represented more than once in those figures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Okay, that's cool. I only asked because I don't have a die-hard preference for either, and wouldn't someone to think otherwise. Just saying. Each browser has certain good features that I like.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, this "profile" is far from statistically precise. The fact that I browsed MF with Opera to get the info skewed the results (and one other member made a concerted effort to represent Opera as the underdog, haha). ;)

Don't make me mod this thing so it reports as Lynx ;)
Why not the real thing? :p

Screen Shot 2012-02-19 at 11.59.24 AM.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.