Backing up files

Reaction score
I am new to Mac. Getting the hang of it step-by-step. How do I save my files such as Microsoft office for mac word and excel files. with a pc i had an external hard drive to back up files. can i do this with my mac air os x lion? or what? I really appreciate anyone who could help me get set up to back up my work. Thanks and I'll wait to hear.

"Reggie"

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Generally you do things the same way. Choosing Save As from the File menu brings up a dialog. In the dialog you should be able to choose the save location. Ifbyou do not see other drives click on the arrow just to the right of your drive name. The box should expand to show all drives.

You can back up your drive to the external hard drive. Here's an overview of using Time Machine for backups http://www.atpm.com/15.03/howto.shtmlw

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Hope that answers your questions. I should have mentioned that another option is to clone your drive. This produces an exact copy of the drive onto another drive. Unlike Time Machine copies clones are bootable. For that you might look at either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.