.eml files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have a mate who keeps on sending me .eml files from his Microsoft PC some that I can read but the majority that I can't. Is there anything that I can download so as to be ble to read them all?

I realise the files are a M/soft format files.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
EML files are simply saved emails and any major email program should be able to open them with ease including Outlook, Mail and Thunderbird. Do you get some sort of error message when you try to open them?

A better solution would be to get your friend to forward emails instead of sending you the saved email file.

Reaction score
It's not a better solution from a security perspective; while I'm not sure the OP had this in mind, I think it's important to point this out on general principles. If you send the emails in one or more files you can encrypt them. If you forward the emails they are more vulnerable, particularly if they are coming from or going to popular email servers.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Generally, if the .eml file has attachments, you will need a version of Outlook to open them. Generally.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's not a better solution from a security perspective; while I'm not sure the OP had this in mind, I think it's important to point this out on general principles. If you send the emails in one or more files you can encrypt them. If you forward the emails they are more vulnerable, particularly if they are coming from or going to popular email servers.

Just my two cents.

Cheers
True but could you not obviate this solution if you used SSL?

Reaction score
Depends on how much protection you want/need, who is receiving them, what level of SSL the email server supports, etc. All I'm saying is that there are good reasons for using .EML files rather than forwarding the email.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.