WD 1.5tb external just stopped showing up...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just had a disaster the other day... My WD 1.5tb external has been hooked up to my iMac. I restarted my iMac and it wouldn't boot up (running the latest version of Lion). I tried to restart, attempting to zap PRAM and it still wouldn't boot. I finally disconnected both my WD external drives and it finally restarted properly. When I plugged in my 2 external drives, only 1 of them showed up. The second took forever then I got the "drive connected cannot be recognized" message.... Ugh.

Disk utility eventually could see the drive but not the partition and I checked the drive to see if I could hear any issues with it and it appears to be fine (no clicking, grinding sounds etc).

I looked everywhere to see what to do and I stumbled onto Perro Hunter's post about how to use testdisk to recover a lost partition,( http://perrohunter.com/read/30/repair-a-mac-os-x-hfs-partition-table) only I can't get past stage 9 because the terminal is telling me that I don't have permission to write to the disk.

I don't have access to a pc so I can't check the drive in Windows and I am trying desperately to salvage this drive. It's got too much unbackedup data.

The drive is about 1 yr old and has never had any hard jolts or anything, it's always worked perfectly. I originally formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Is there anyone who can give me any guidance as to what to do? I am sick at this stage.. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.