split long podcast into tracks

Reaction score
I'd be grateful for any info on how to split a long podcast into tracks. Specifically, a weekly 5 hour podcast has a full live music show by the Grateful Dead tucked into it. I'd like to split out the 2 sets of the full show, and from there, even label the various tracks inside the sets.

I have fiddled around with garage band a little bit, and I've downloaded Audacity, but haven't really figured it out yet. I'm open to any relatively straightforward way to cut the 2 sets of the show out of the podcast, and then to further break them into individual tracks. Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15" Iphone4
You should have an option in Audacity under file, to export selection..If your not familiar with DAW software here is a link that should help..There are countless tutorials on youtube that will help you learn about multi-track recording and producing podcasts...Hope this helps..

Audacity: How to Split A Long Audio File Into Mulitple File - YouTube

OP
A
Reaction score
Label Clips?

Ok, Mooesknuckle was helpful. I've now used Audacity to delete the parts of the podcast I don't need, and keep the 1+ hour set of live music, and export it back into iTunes, where is shows as all one track under the name I've given it. What I'd really like to do is clip it into sections (songs, essentially) that I can then name and skip through like album tracks. Is that possible? I've looked at the Audacity manual and see how to make "clips", but not how to label them, and it looks like they would all still be together in one track. Any hints on how to do this would be appreciated. Or if it's not possible, that would be good info too. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15" Iphone4
Good job!! You'll be a production guru before you know it...I recommend trying Adobe Audition CS5.5 I personally use this program to produce radio imaging spots for several broadcast stations. The great thing about Audition is, Its made to do the kind of stuff your doing like Voice Overs, Podcast, Etc...And has built in presets for these types of recording's..Very user friendly. It also has the Izotope Maserting Suite, Which really polishes your sound. Also CS5.5 is free to try for 30 days. Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.