Installing MacOffice 2011 on Mac Air

Reaction score
Hello!
- Looking for help installing Mac Office 2011 onto Mac Book Air using
shared network drive on PC.

The problem is I can setup sharing no problem and can view the folders, but
(scuse my old skool here!), where is the setup file???? or what do I do from here?

Should I copy all folders to my desktop? Then whats next?
Seems so easy to be a problem doesn't it??!! but it is!

Thanks so much for all help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm not sure which 'folders' you can see but, you should be looking at a DMG file - a disc image file.

Copy that over onto your Mac and double-click it. If will open in a Finder window and you'll see installation instructions from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Hello!
- Looking for help installing Mac Office 2011 onto Mac Book Air using
shared network drive on PC.

The problem is I can setup sharing no problem and can view the folders, but
(scuse my old skool here!), where is the setup file???? or what do I do from here?

Should I copy all folders to my desktop? Then whats next?
Seems so easy to be a problem doesn't it??!! but it is!

Thanks so much for all help!

Do you mean you're installing off a DVD from an optical drive on a computer on your network?
If so and all you see is a "Microsoft Office 2011" folder with the apps in it just drag that to your applications folder. The education version I install has an installer file called "Installer"

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,

I should have been more specific about the folders that I see.
The first items I see after putting in the MacOffice 2011 CD is one folder called
' Office Installermpkg ' and one icon called ' volume icon.icns'.
Should I copy these onto my desktop?
Think I am a long way off seeing a .dmg file yet.....

Thank you for your replies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So it's a CD you're seeing, shared over a network?
In that case create yourself a folder on your desktop then drag the entire contents of that CD into that folder.
Open up the office installer package by double clicking on it and it'll fire of the kind of step-by-step installer your used to.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry. Yes thats correct - CD over a network.
Just copied everything over and the contents are now on my Mac.
I double-clicked on the Officeinstallermpkg folder,which opened a 'contents' folder which opened a distribution.dist and two more folders called 'packages' and 'resources'....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
I wouldn't drag and drop them. Should be able to run that pkg right off the disk over the network.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That should be Office Installer.mpkg - the "mpkg" part is a file extension. I'm not sure why it's not named that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something about how the drives mapped on the network is preventing you from seeing the correct 'packaged' installer.
You should, however be able to run the file distribution.dist in the Contents folder to start the install

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried to launch/open/install by double clicking on the DISTRIBUTION.DIST and got the following error message:
"The operation could not be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1.) Couldn't open " DISTRIBUTION.DIST".

Also, the Installer has hung in the dock and seems to be doing nothing.
I have restarted my machine also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this Definately a complete disc? Off the shelf retail version?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need to run the mpkg file - no other file is executable. If the Office installer mpkg doesn't have the proper extension, give it the mpkg extension and run that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have they very same one and I can run the dist file to invoke the installer. But that's obviously not helping you.

I'd still say its something to do with how the drive is shared out.

You should just be able to run the mpkg file but when your double clicking it it's opening the package contents rather than running the installer.

Is there a machine you could use to create an ISO image of the disc that you could copy to a USB flash drive?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the installer isn't working when you open the mpkg file, it could be that the installer isn't associated with Installer.app. Right click the mpkg file > Get Info > make sure it is set to open with Installer.

OP
M
Reaction score
After taking some time to do more research on this, I opted to download the Mac Office trial version,(making sure it downloads correctly otherwise you'll get a '...not recognized' error), install and choose to activate. I entered my product key from my Mac Office 2011 cd that I bought which 'upgraded', my trial version to a full version. Simple eh!
Guess I'll never know why the other process did not work...although it looked like a sharing issue but hadn't got the time to test it out throughly.
Funny thing tho - when I contacted the 'support' centre I bought it from for more information, they sent me a link to this thread!
Thanks for your help...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.