Temperature measurement with my Iphone

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was looking for great accessories and add-ons for my new Iphone 4S as I found an IR-module to measure the temperature (surface, air temperature...)! Here is a link to this topic: BBQ & Grill IR .

To be honest, I am an absolute beginner when it comes to hardware and electronics. Nevertheless, I am very interested in how this whole meausurement thing works. Has anybody an idea why the developers of this external modules sometimes use the TRS connector and sometimes utilize the 30-pin-dock-connector to communicate with the Iphone/Ipad?

And even more fundamental: How does the communication work in general? To be more specific: How is the Iphone able to handle/process the signals which are transmitted by the (e.g. temperature) sensor?

I hope anybody here can give me an advice! I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Hans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I am pretty sure that is not possible with the iphone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Why not? With the 30-pin dock connector, it would be technically trivial to build a temperature sensor that could interface to an iPhone.

C

chas_m

Doesn't the link in the first post indicate that it is, indeed, possible -- given that the company have sold thousands of units that do exactly this?

As chg indicated, a digital thermometer that pushes the info via the 30-pin dock connector to software is "all" that's required. It's beyond my technical ability, but a HowStuffWorks article on digital thermometers coupled with Apple dev documentation on how to read incoming digital data through the dock connector and a soldering gun should be all one needs. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Interesting stuff. This is a thermal radiation thermometer which converts the IR to a signal and then onto the display. I can't fathom as to why he chose a BBQ'd steak to demonstrate it with because it can't read core temperature, which is what you need for guesstimating how well the steak is done.
Medium Rare for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.