I have a question about iPhoto

Reaction score
Ok, so on my old MacBook in iPhoto I made albums for the different cameras I shoot with. The pics I take with my Nikon I drag those pics from the camera to the Nikon folder and voila. Well now that I'm using iPhoto on my new MacBook Pro, I made folders the same way like on my previous MacBook. I then drag pics from my camera to said folder, but my pics don't show up in the folder. They show up in iPhoto, but under "Last Imported"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
This is because iPhoto is more than just an application. It's a digital asset management program. It's basically a database that controls the images. It stores them into your iPhoto Library under your Pictures directory.

Reaction score
Once in the Last Imported folder, you can (within iPhoto) create a system of folders and albums to organize your photos and drag them there.

C

chas_m

There's actually no need for you to do this at all. The whole idea of an organizer (like iPhoto, like Aperture, like Lightroom) is to let the COMPUTER do the actual work or organizing based on common criteria and your own custom direction.

In this case, for example, what you really want is called a Smart Album. A Smart Album looks like a regular album but is governed by criteria you set. You can see how to create one below:

From iPhoto's file menu:

Then from the resulting dialog box:

There you go! Any future photos taken with that camera can be automatically found in that Smart Album! You can even get MORE specific, such as showing which photos with that camera were taken at a given ISO, or with the flash on, etc etc. You'll be dumbfounded at the options, and how much work you DON'T have to do!

OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
There's actually no need for you to do this at all. The whole idea of an organizer (like iPhoto, like Aperture, like Lightroom) is to let the COMPUTER do the actual work or organizing based on common criteria and your own custom direction.

In this case, for example, what you really want is called a Smart Album. A Smart Album looks like a regular album but is governed by criteria you set. You can see how to create one below:

There you go! Any future photos taken with that camera can be automatically found in that Smart Album! You can even get MORE specific, such as showing which photos with that camera were taken at a given ISO, or with the flash on, etc etc. You'll be dumbfounded at the options, and how much work you DON'T have to do!

Thank you for that useful information. However, I just created a smart album labeled it as such (Camera name) and it didn't even import it to the Nikon album.

EDIT: Yes, it finally worked. How weird!! Thank you very much Chas!

OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
chas_m how can I get more specific with the album? Flash, ISO, etc.?

OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
Wow, another excellent post Pomeroy. Thanks for those screen shots! By the way how do I take screen shots on my MacBook Pro? I know on my old one it was command + shift + 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's still the same. Command +shift +4 for a selection (hit space and you'll highlight full windows), cmd - shift - 3 for full screen.

OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
Thanks Dysfunction! I have another question guys. I'm trying to delete certain photos from my albums, but for whatever reason it's not letting me. Anyone know why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may have to hold down a modifier key, like CMD. Someone who uses iPhoto will likely have an answer :)

C

chas_m

You can't delete a photo from a Smart Album, because it's not really an album -- it's a saved search. It will always show all the pictures that meet the criteria you defined for that Smart Album. Is that perhaps the issue?

OP
FLAWLS1
Reaction score
You can't delete a photo from a Smart Album, because it's not really an album -- it's a saved search. It will always show all the pictures that meet the criteria you defined for that Smart Album. Is that perhaps the issue?

OHHH ok. Is there anyway to delete certain photos then? There's a lot of photos in the albums that I want deleted. There has to be some kind of way.

C

chas_m

Sure. Go back to the Photos view and delete them there. IOW, albums are just filtered subsets of your photo library. Once you delete a photo from the library, it's gone -- and will not show up in albums or smart albums anymore.

To delete them permanently (as in "I'm sure, no mistake"), you must then empty *iPhoto's* trash, which is not the same as the system trash sitting on the bottom right of your screen. The iPhoto trash is IN iPhoto, on the lefthand-column near the different library views. You right-click or control-click to empty it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.