iphoto as default for jpef files

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Simple question which has stumped me for AGES.

How do i make iPhoto my default program for opening JPEG files?

Thanks

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
ctrl + click or right click
open with
other
select iPhoto
tick Always open with

job done

Reaction score
That means doing it for every single .jpg image tho' doesn't it, or can you somewhere else select i photo as the default viewer for all images?
One thing though...if i photo is selected as the viewer, each time you open a .jpg image, i phot starts up and imports the image(s) directly. Maybe not what you want!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, the tick in the 'always open this filetype with this app' checkbox will sort that issue.

T

Tel

Alternative way:

Right click > get info > expand the 'open with,' box > select iPhoto > click change all

This will make any .jpeg, or any other file you like, open with the selected app every-time.

E

ellsin

Maybe I've got a problem?? This is what happens when I try to select new image viewer.
get info>expand the 'open with' box>select Photoshop>click change all>new window opens with — "are you sure....etc'>click continue>"open window" reverts to "Preview"?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
can I just ask, is there a problem with using something like preview? Once your iPhoto library gets quite large, it does become a little frustrating to open the app just to view a jpeg. I'd find it more convient to preview once or so with preview, and then add to iPhoto if I wanted.

Also, why do you choose photoshop from open with, when you want iPhoto?

Here's a screen of what I did to set it - it worked perfectly for me.
•click once on photo
•apple+i
•choose Open With (iPhoto probably won't be there, so select other and browse)
•click change all and then OK
and that's it.

iphoto.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
dtownley1: there are two people asking questions, one person wants to use iPhoto, the other Photoshop.

Agreed though, both iPhoto and Photoshop will take quite some time to load up just to quickly view an image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
dtownley1: there are two people asking questions, one person wants to use iPhoto, the other Photoshop.

Agreed though, both iPhoto and Photoshop will take quite some time to load up just to quickly view an image.

ah, didn't notice that. Sorry guys. I saw the words "maybe I've got a problem" of Ellsin. "Maybe I've got a problem too" would have made it clear for me. Apologies.

E

ellsin

My apologies, again , for confusion produced by my posting the same message twice. Personal choice, I usually want my images to open in Photoshop where they can be viewed and/or worked on immediately
Here's a screen shot of what I get when I click 'change all'. When I click 'continue' the 'open with' window reverts to "Preview" and. of course, the image will open in Preview. If I don't click 'change all' just that image will open Photo.
That's why I suggest there may be a problem someplace.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Are there two versions of Photoshop 5.5 in the 'open with' drop down menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hmm, interesting. You've turned your mac off since attempting this, right? Just that sometimes niggly little problems may sort themselves out that way.

Also, was photoshop 5.5 available for OS X? Do you open it in OS X or classic? I used it years ago for OS9. Photoshop 7 was the latest I personally used on OS X. I don't think that would be a problem, since an app is an app really.

I can't think what else it could be.
One more thing (not related to your problem, sorry) but what are the dimensions of that image? Seems strange to have an 892kb image, with dimensions that appear so small. I'm just curious.

Back to the problem. If it doesn't work after restart, possibly the only other thing to do is drag each image onto the photoshop dock icon.

Actually, you may be able to come up with something in Automator, or use a script. I don't use those things myself, so can't say if it will save time opening each image (if you have to open automator first or not) but that's something that could work. And although I don't use it much, Quicksilver (free download) may be another alternative.

Reaction score
I gave up with trying something similar. It's ridiculous.

I wanted every jpeg on the machine to open in Preview, however if I make a new JPEG in photoshop, then that JPEG will as default, open in Photoshop. Ridiculous.

E

ellsin

Turned off Mac — yes. I've tried this operation many times over the last week or so — the problem persists.

Photoshop 5.5 opens in classic and I suspect this is the cause of the dysfunction. I have a friend with an Imac G5 using classic for the same Phot 5.5 and he has the same problem!!
I'm hoping to pick up a later version of Photo for OSX — then we shall see.

In the meantime I'm considering dumping Preview, thus forcing images to open in Photoshop — but will they then open in Iphoto?? I can see no point in having Preview when Photoshop is my app of choice.

The image in the background of my screenshot looks so small 'cause it's just a thumbnail, desktop icons have been reduced to 'very small' 28x28 — the actual image, when opened, is about 45 X 32 cms at 72 res, used as the startupscreen on my old 8500.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
have you tried GIMP? That could be a good alternative until you upgrade, and is free. You should be able to set image to open in that with no troubles.

I imagine it must be a pain to wait not only for classic to open, but then photoshop also. To actually do it manually would be even more a pain. For that reason, Gimp might be something to look into ;)

E

ellsin

addendum to above post:— Dumped Preview — image now opens in ColorSync Utility — dang Darn It!!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you want a jpeg to open in iPhoto as the default. I believe that you have to go to the image capture application and change the default there.

As for openning in PhotoShop, you will need to do a get info on one of the jpeg files and select open with PhotoShop. Then you click on the change all button.

E

ellsin

I'm beginning to feel like a sower of confusion.

My post #17 refers to my earlier #15 — didn't notice we'd gone on to Page 2 already — pay attention at the back there!!!

I've set the mac to boot up with Classic, only a few seconds longer, then open Photoshop and I'm ready to go. Thanks for the Gimp suggestion — have been using Photoshop so long it's almost second nature so I'll persevere until the hoped for arrival of updated Photoshop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.