iPhone 4 will not play with Bose SoundDock 2

Reaction score
I just received a Bose SoundDock 2 and my iPhone 4 will not play through it. My iPod classic will play through it, a 3Gs will play through it and an iPhone 4 (Verizon) will play through it, but my iPhone 4 (AT&T) will not. It will charge when it is docked, but it has no response to playing any music.
I have tried resetting the SoundDock and I have tried resetting my iPhone as well. I thought it might be an issue with the dock port being dirty, but I cleaned it out and even then, it charges fine while docked.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
How old is the AT&T iPhone? The reason I ask - is if a Verizon iPhone works - then it probably isn't anything on the sound dock side. I have an old iPod classic and the audio chip just crapped out on it - so it won't play through the dock or the headphones (basically a paperweight) Not directly your problem but I have seen iPods go south like that. Does your AT&T iPhone play through any other dock connector system? Can you put it through the AUX port to the headphones (i.e. does the headphone jack still work?)

Also - do you have the latest software on the AT&T iPhone?

OP
A
Reaction score
The phone is just over a year old. It will play through another brand of docking station as well, and the headphone jack still works fine. I have read that other people have had this problem after upgrading to iOS 5, but the iPhone 4 from Verizon had been upgraded and it still worked fine.

I'm still thinking it might be something with the OS but that leaves me with either waiting until a OS upgrade (whenever that might be) or just sending it back and getting another brand of docking system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Probably is - you've eliminated hardware by showing it played in another dock. You've eliminated the Bose because other iPods/iPhones play through it. If the AT&T iPhone is the main reason you got the Bose dock - you are better off getting something that works.

Do you want the sound dock because it charges the iPhone while it plays? There is a new speaker from Bose that uses bluetooth. There are also other sound bars that use bluetooth so you don't need to physically keep the phone on the speaker anymore. That is one nice thing about the Sound Dock - I can plug my phone in - and it will keep the phone charged. (iPhone 4, 5.0.1 Verizon - as you said does work with the Bose Sound Dock)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
According to Bose, the sounddock 2 is compatible with the iPhone 4. Have you contacted them?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah I did troubleshoot with Bose for a while. But since another iPhone 4 works with the system, it kind of eliminated Bose from the problem. I've searched quite a few forums and it seems that there are multiple people who have had this problem after upgrading to iOS 5.

Kind of a shame, don't think there is any "fix" for it. Just a matter of taking my chances and waiting for the next OS update in hopes they address it or shipping it back and getting something new.

I like the Bose for multiple reasons. I like the functionality of having my phone charge while playing, and I'm also just a fan of Bose sound. I have seen the ones with airplay, and I know I don't want something that needs a wireless connection to use. I could possibly be open to using bluetooth, but it is not ideal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.