Cursor no working in a part of the screen

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I had to register to see if anyone could help me. I searched about the problem I'm having on google, many times, but didn't find anything about it so, here it goes.
I own a Macbook Pro 13'' for two years now and I installed Lion OS X recently. Everything worked ok. Now, for about a week I'm having a pretty weird problem: my cursor doesn't work in just a bit of the screen. I can't select or drag in that part of the screen. I tried to connect a mouse too see if the problem was the trackpad, but it stays the same. Around the time this problem appeared I installed NerdTool. I even removed it to see if it was that program that was causing the problem, but still, all remained the same. It's pretty annoying since I can't do anything in that "affected area", and when working with programs like Photoshop and FinalCut, it's really frustrating.

I hope anyone can help me with this...
Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears NerdTool installs scripts which can be run to change various elements of the desktop and other things. Are you sure you completely removed NerdTool and all its scripts?

OP
F
Reaction score
It appears NerdTool installs scripts which can be run to change various elements of the desktop and other things. Are you sure you completely removed NerdTool and all its scripts?

I just uninstalled NerdTool with CleanMyMac, and the problem seems to persist...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know how effective "CleanMyMac" is since other members have reported problems using it. Anyway, I'm thinking that NerdTool (formerly GeekTool) is still hanging around your machine. Check out this LINK and follow the links on how to remove it.

OP
F
Reaction score
I don't know how effective "CleanMyMac" is since other members have reported problems using it. Anyway, I'm thinking that NerdTool (formerly GeekTool) is still hanging around your machine. Check out this LINK and follow the links on how to remove it.

I couldn't find how to remove it, on that link. I installed it again and tried to uninstalled with MacKeeper instead. The problem remains. I'm thinking that is not NerdTool causing the problem.
I really didn't want to format my Mac, but if I do it, should I install Snow Leopard, or I can just do the upgrade to Lion again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacKeeper is even worse than CleanMyMac. Please stay away from both of them as they can do more harm than good. If you decide to reinstall, boot to your Lion Recovery partition and reinstall Lion from there. After reinstalling, do not install any "junk ware" or "geek tools". They're not needed and only cause problems as you're finding out.

OP
F
Reaction score
MacKeeper is even worse than CleanMyMac. Please stay away from both of them as they can do more harm than good. If you decide to reinstall, boot to your Lion Recovery partition and reinstall Lion from there. After reinstalling, do not install any "junk ware" or "geek tools". They're not needed and only cause problems as you're finding out.

How can I do that Lion Recovery?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reboot your machine and as soon as you hear the chime hold down the option key. Choose the Recovery partition to boot from. Once in Recovery, you can choose to reinstall Lion. However, you might want to do a clean install. To do a clean install use Disk Utilities to erase the drive before downloading and installing Lion. Keep in mind that you will lose all your data and programs unless you back up what you want to keep.

OP
F
Reaction score
Reboot your machine and as soon as you hear the chime hold down the option key. Choose the Recovery partition to boot from. Once in Recovery, you can choose to reinstall Lion. However, you might want to do a clean install. To do a clean install use Disk Utilities to erase the drive before downloading and installing Lion. Keep in mind that you will lose all your data and programs unless you back up what you want to keep.

Thank you! I'll wait a bit longer to see if this problem disappears with updates or something. If not, I guess a clean install might be the best option...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.