mac wont accept external HD

M

mark owen

This computer was given to me about six months ago. The memory was almost full so i got an external hard drive, it has worked great until now. ALL of my itunes music library is on the external HD and now i can not access the HD 2. my computer is not even recognizing that the HD 2 is even there.

I have done a full shut down and unplugged everything, then i restarted the computer after letting it sit for about 30min and plugged the HD 2 back in to see if it would access it, but no luck. When i start the computer the light comes on, on the HD 2 as though it is being accessed but then it dose not connect to the computer. I dont know what else to do.

please help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
What kind of computer is it? An iMac? A PowerMac? And by memory, I assume you meant hard disk space? What OS are you running?

OP
J

jn4jenny

If this is a hard drive that your computer has been able to see in the past but suddenly can't, then maybe the problem is with the port or the hard drive. Have you tried plugging other devices into the port (firewire or USB, I'm guessing?) Have you tried plugging the hard drive into other computers?

OP
M

mark owen

it is an imac, sorry i didnt say before. Yes I meant hard drive space. I have tried plugging the external into other USB ports, and thats it not the problem. I plugged my mouse into the other port and it worked fine. I do not have another computer to try plugging it into. A friend of mine has a mac mini, so on friday i am going to take the external hard drive to his house and see if it works with his computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
mark owen said:
it is an imac, sorry i didnt say before. Yes I meant hard drive space. I have tried plugging the external into other USB ports, and thats it not the problem. I plugged my mouse into the other port and it worked fine. I do not have another computer to try plugging it into. A friend of mine has a mac mini, so on friday i am going to take the external hard drive to his house and see if it works with his computer.

Bring the whole computer here, AND the External drive, not just the drive.

You have Big issues with Software that is out of date, and probably just need to do some maintenance and get things cleaned up a bit.

Im his "friend" :) and he has bigger issues than those which he described, including apps that wont open and other issues, hes new not only to the world of macs, but computers in general

hes running A blueberry Imac G3 500 with 512 Megs of RAM and OS 10.3.9 Panther, Old and tired but still Humming along just fine at 5 years old.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.