PDA

View Full Version : A Shiny New Mac-Forums!

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
The updated design for the community has been pushed live! Thank you to the beta testers and everyone who provided feedback.

If you have any questions or comments, please share them here. Some elements are still on the agenda to tweak and refine, so we'll be making smaller ongoing improvements in the weeks to come. :)

McBie
01-31-2012, 01:10 PM
I was confused for a couple of second as I just swiped back from another page and ... voila .... a whole new world.

Looks great.

Cheers ... McBie

Doug b
01-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Looks great thus far! One big annoyance though... On the home page, there is a link to blog reviews. Each time the subject page changes (there are 4 pages) it also shifts the entire web page away from where it was focused and you have to re-scroll to where you were.

Also, is there a reason as to why iPhone/iPad/iPod is part of the "featured discussions"? Is it the most visited section on the forums? Just seems a bit out of place IMO. Or perhaps a bit redundant, I dunno.

Doug

Raz0rEdge
01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Looks great..though what happened to the Get New link??

Lifeisabeach
01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
I like it better than my first impression from the beta. But I still think the red font is a mistake. It should only be used for something that really needs to grab your attention. On real paper… red is more often used to indicate something of importance, or as a "correction" (think back to school… a red pen is used by teachers to show corrections).

It's also a bit too "white" all around. Perhaps a soft gradient could be used as a background for the sections to "float" on top of. White floating on white just doesn't work. And the spacing…. everything takes up twice as much space. Just browsing through a forum category takes twice as long now.

Doug b
01-31-2012, 01:44 PM
I like it better than my first impression from the beta. But I still think the red font is a mistake. It should only be used for something that really needs to grab your attention. On real paper… red is more often used to indicate something of importance, or as a "correction" (think back to school… a red pen is used by teachers to show corrections).

It's also a bit too "white" all around. Perhaps a soft gradient could be used as a background for the sections to "float" on top of. White floating on white just doesn't work. And the spacing…. everything takes up twice as much space. Just browsing through a forum category takes twice as long now.

+1 for everything said.

Doug

Doug b
01-31-2012, 01:46 PM

I think it has been replaced in quick links by "today's posts". Though I much prefer a static permalink such as "new posts"

Doug

Edit: Also, if you hover over "Forum", you get a drop down list, and there we also have "new posts". I would still prefer to be able to do it in one click though.

Spellbinder
01-31-2012, 01:51 PM
I like the idea of a softer gradient of some sort. That being said, it still looks great!

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Looks great thus far! One big annoyance though... On the home page, there is a link to blog reviews. Each time the subject page changes (there are 4 pages) it also shifts the entire web page away from where it was focused and you have to re-scroll to where you were.

Also, is there a reason as to why iPhone/iPad/iPod is part of the "featured discussions"? Is it the most visited section on the forums? Just seems a bit out of place IMO. Or perhaps a bit redundant, I dunno.

Doug

The featured articles need to have consistent excerpts and featured images included, we'll be working on consistency there to ensure the re-sizing issue does not persist. :) For now it is a problem though.

The Featured discussion section includes the major forum categories from the forum homepage - general discussion, digital lifestyle, and ihpone/ipad/ipods. The categories can be tweaked in the future if there is consensus regarding the 3 best major sections of the forum to feature there. :)

It is in the drop down when hovering over forums, there is also today's posts which gives a similar search when you hover over quick links.

I've requested a subnav be added below the main nav, for elements such as user control panel, new posts, etc. The stuff forum regulars use multiple times every day they visit - hovering is ok, but I like being able to directly click better as well.

Raz0rEdge
01-31-2012, 01:54 PM
I think it has been replaced in quick links by "today's posts". Though I much prefer a static permalink such as "new posts"

Doug

Edit: Also, if you hover over "Forum", you get a drop down list, and there we also have "new posts". I would still prefer to be able to do it in one click though.

Bingo, thanks Doug..that's how I use the forums..glad the link didn't go away, a permalink would be great..but the hover option also works just as long as I know where it is..:)

Doug b
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Matt, what exactly is the difference between "today's posts" and "new posts", if anything?

Doug

Dysfunction
01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
One bit of quick feedback. The "Please welcome our newest member" in the Site Statistics sidebar is non-op on forums. Works fine on the main page.

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 02:02 PM

There has been a couple comments on the red, but nothing close enough to a consensus yet - there needs to be something of a color, and red was part of the old theme as well. As you would likely agree, design stuff can be difficult to appease everyone's tastes. If some sort of consensus emerges, we are always open to change however. These things are also discussed with site moderation and administration, to prioritize what needs attention, what is agreed upon, and get that consensus necessary to ensure we make good changes. :)

I've seen comments about the white/spacing go both ways - some have commented it looks cleaner and sharper, others think too much white on white. If we let this simmer, we may also get a better sense of consensus. :)

Matt, what exactly is the difference between "today's posts" and "new posts", if anything?

Doug

New posts will show you threads you have not viewed since the last time they were replied to - as you view threads and go back to new posts, the threads you just viewed or just replied to will no longer appear in new posts until they receive a new reply.

Today's posts will show every post, whether you have viewed it or not, in the order that it was posted to.

Every vbulletin forum like ours has both these searches by default, very few people recognize or are aware of the difference. :)

MYmacROX
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM

+1 for everything said.

Doug

Make that +2 for everything said. Right now, it looks like a beta version of something to come. That's my 2˘...

I am glad to see a change and I appreciate the efforts of all involved. :)

Doug b
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
There has been a couple comments on the red, but nothing close enough to a consensus yet - there needs to be something of a color, and red was part of the old theme as well. As you would likely agree, design stuff can be difficult to appease everyone's tastes. If some sort of consensus emerges, we are always open to change however. These things are also discussed with site moderation and administration, to prioritize what needs attention, what is agreed upon, and get that consensus necessary to ensure we make good changes. :)

I've seen comments about the white/spacing go both ways - some have commented it looks cleaner and sharper, others think too much white on white. If we let this simmer, we may also get a better sense of consensus.

Could we perhaps get an official poll going then, perhaps? Maybe a long term one? Like say, over the course of a month or more, in order that even new members get a word in about it?

New posts will show you threads you have not viewed since the last time they were replied to - as you view threads and go back to new posts, the threads you just viewed or just replied to will no longer appear in new posts until they receive a new reply.

Today's posts will show every post, whether you have viewed it or not, in the order that it was posted to.

Every vbulletin forum like ours has both these searches by default, very few people recognize or are aware of the difference. :)

Thank you for clarifying for us few then! :)

Doug

RavingMac
01-31-2012, 02:12 PM
For some reason I still have the old look (not that I'm complaining).

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 02:14 PM
For some reason I still have the old look (not that I'm complaining).

Cacheing, you may need to manually clear your browser cache, or force a hard refresh (shift + F5 in some browsers).

Dysfunction
01-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Cacheing, you may need to manually clear your browser cache, or force a hard refresh (shift + F5 in some browsers).

I had to go select the new skin, those with the ad-free skin option may have to do the same (since it's NOT default) ;D

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Could we perhaps get an official poll going then, perhaps? Maybe a long term one? Like say, over the course of a month or more, in order that even new members get a word in about it?

Thank you for clarifying for us few then! :)

Doug

Sure, I think that makes sense. Probably best we hold off on any sort of poll for a bit though. We'll be making some adjustments on an ongoing basis for the near future - with more time and perspective, and a little time to stabilize, we should be able to make a more accurate and actionable poll. :)

iggibar
01-31-2012, 02:20 PM
I which there were more contrasting backgrounds to differentiate between thread topics/thread areas, and such. It kind of seems...like it's not finished yet...too much white.

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
I had to go select the new skin, those with the ad-free skin option may have to do the same (since it's NOT default) ;D

Hadn't thought of the ad free skin yet, good input. Thanks!

iggibar
01-31-2012, 02:24 PM

I'm going to 3rd this. Agree with everything. I think a red(crimson red:)) background, with a white(but not too bright for night time browsing) floating on top would look sweet!

Chris H.
01-31-2012, 03:18 PM
It's so pretty!

However, after reading some comments about the red font (which I understand is the old theme) and the excessive spacing...and to some extent how white-walled it looks...I have to say, it needs some tweaking.

On a second note, the red font doesn't bother me much. But it's like I'm staring at snow in the sunlight.

I like the new overall look though. :)

Stanley
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Nice and clean!

Discerptor
01-31-2012, 03:56 PM

I endorse this message, though I don't mind the spacing out of the content that much.

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
It's so pretty!

However, after reading some comments about the red font (which I understand is the old theme) and the excessive spacing...and to some extent how white-walled it looks...I have to say, it needs some tweaking.

On a second note, the red font doesn't bother me much. But it's like I'm staring at snow in the sunlight.

I like the new overall look though. :)

I've talked with the design team a bit already about the whiteness when viewing threads, and they agree and understand the feedback. It will likely be tweaked to refine it a bit more yet to give more differentiation/contrast to break things up.

MacDude121
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Looks pretty good thus far. Bit of constructive criticism, there doesn't seem to be much separation between posts, only a slightly gray line. Makes stuff seem a tad jumbled, and too "spaced out"

Also personally wouldn't have gone for the pupleish reddish color, but that's just me. :P

vansmith
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
A quick tip for everyone - coming from mac-forums.com, you'll notice that the links in the "menu bar" (I don't know what else to call it) will give you a good ol' 404. If you're accessing it from mac-forums.com/forums, you won't have this issue. A simple way to get around it is to click the link twice - once to get the 404 page and again to get the actual page.

Kevriano
01-31-2012, 04:14 PM
I like it, but it still doesn't fit on my 12" Powebooks screen, I have to scroll across to read all of the text, which is annoying to be honest.
Can this be looked at please?
I would also like a direct "new post" tab on the home page, but I guess the drop down works and I'll get used to it.
Nice job overall though.

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Kevriano, what resolution are you on with that 12" screen?

Working on the subnav thing as well, it is one of the priorities I noted as well - the dropdown works, but I like directly clicking. When you spend all day or multiple hours on a site, which many people do, it really stands out how much more convenient it is to point and click rather than hover point click.

Kevriano
01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi. 1024 x 768.

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks Kevriano, I can replicate your issue by setting the same resolution here. These days 1024x768 is definitely on the bottom end of the target display resolutions - but its a valid issue for netbooks and mobile devices. Noted and we'll see what we can do.

Ghost Rider
01-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Reading this on the IPad It looks great!!! Let's see how it looks on my iMac :)

Good job!

Kevriano
01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks Kevriano, I can replicate your issue by setting the same resolution here. These days 1024x768 is definitely on the bottom end of the target display resolutions - but its a valid issue for netbooks and mobile devices. Noted and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks. It's the maximum resolution for this screen, so I suspect the applies to iBook users and other older Macs.

harryb2448
01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Looks reasonable but do miss the Get New button.

osxx
01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Nice and neat.

dtravis7
01-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Harry, Get New is under the Forums clicker to the left up top.

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Harry, Get New is under the Forums clicker to the left up top.

Thanks. And hopefully its coming back to a sub navigation bar right below the main navigation bar where you can directly click it. More than a few people have mentioned missing it, or having a hard time finding it - probably best to have it directly accessible. :)

dtravis7
01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
I understand Kevin's complaint. I often use my 12" iBook G4 and can understand just what he is talking about. 1024x768 is still a used resolution by many, not just people with older Macs as some have eyesight issues and turn the res down a bit. I have 2 friends that have to run 1024 to really see things.

Also like was pointed out, a lot of Netbook screens will be cut off also. I do own and use an Acer Aspire One sometimes and some sites are a pain on it. Agreed though, Mac Forums is fine on my 1st Generation iPad.

Just some more input on Kevin's issue.

I.M.O.G.
01-31-2012, 06:11 PM
We'll likely figure out something on the 1024 resolution issue, just takes time to sort through the list we've compiled so far. This is on the list though. :)

To put it in perspective however only in the interest of being familiar with our audience, this is a very detail oriented item. According to Google Analytics, less than 3.5% of visits to Mac-Forums are using a screen thats 1024x768. In comparison, 7.5% of visits come from resolutions of 320x480 (a common mobile resolution). Kinda interesting numbers when I just checked, so thought I'd share.

Strukt
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Really nice! :)

EndlessMac
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Working on the subnav thing as well, it is one of the priorities I noted as well - the dropdown works, but I like directly clicking. When you spend all day or multiple hours on a site, which many people do, it really stands out how much more convenient it is to point and click rather than hover point click.
That is good to hear. I use the Get New/New Post feature very often and I completely agree about the convenience. The requirement to hover isn't as convenient if a person uses the button as often as I do.

I also agree with both points. White on white makes it extremely bright to look at. It does look pretty but I don't know if I want to look at it for long periods when reading the forum. The background can be white but I do think the floating white part should be a darker color. It could still be a light color since I dislike forums that uses black backgrounds but please just don't use white on white.

The spacing also seems rather excessive. I've already forgotten what the spacing on the old design looked like so I can't remember the exact difference except that now one person's reply can take up almost my full screen.

I also miss the centering of the reply text box section when I type a reply like in the old design. The new design has the reply box all the way to the left causing me to constantly turn my head to the left.

Overall I do like the new forum so hopefully you don't get the wrong impression from my reply. As others have also mentioned there seems to be a only few minor changes to make it a better forum design.

dtravis7
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Matt, Rob one of our Mods from England can not even log in to Mac Forums. He wanted me to give you a heads up. Tried several browsers and nothing so he asked me if the forums are up and they are for me. he is in England.

This is what he just told me in Chat.....

i think its an issue with the 3.8.4 adless skin - cause i can access the new look before, but not after i log in - it just comes up totally blank. it says "thank you for logging in, robduckyworth" in the new style, then nothing.

toMACsh
01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
This will take some getting used to, but it looks great.

EndlessMac
01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Matt, Rob one of our Mods from England can not even log in to Mac Forums. He wanted me to give you a heads up. Tried several browsers and nothing so he asked me if the forums are up and they are for me. he is in England.

This "problem" sounds like the perfect excuse not to do his mod duties for the day. Just kidding Rob. ;)

Ghost Rider
01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Looks good on my Imac! Very nice upgrade!

iggibar
01-31-2012, 10:20 PM
On the site with my PlayBook as i type this. I have to say, it looks even better on here! The ratios just seem a lot better, if thats even it.

Groovetube
01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
I saw it briefly, then switched to the old one to compare, and can't switch to the new one.

Is there a way?

Lifeisabeach
01-31-2012, 10:49 PM

I agree that you will never please everyone. And design stuff is difficult… I'm far better at critiquing it than actually creating anything. ;) That said… red was only a part of the old theme in terms of the graphics. I don't ever recall red fonts anywhere. Hopefully I've adequately articulated why it's such a bad idea. Not trying to deride your efforts here, mind you. I'm just not one to nod my head and say it's all great.

I've seen comments about the white/spacing go both ways - some have commented it looks cleaner and sharper, others think too much white on white. If we let this simmer, we may also get a better sense of consensus. :)

I'd suggest making a couple demos showing alternatives to white-on-white. Not necessarily the entire site, but maybe post screen caps of a page. I'd bet my last dollar that if it's done right, a large number of those who are fine with how it is now would pick an alternative.

EDIT: it's also possible I'm more bothered by the white-on-white due to the increased spacing, which itself leads to more "whiteness" in between lines.

Groovetube
01-31-2012, 10:49 PM
oh wait I figured it out.

McYukon
01-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Anyone else who found the new style switcher on the front forums page and wants to switch back, User CP>Edit Options>Forum Skin @ page bottom, -- Mac Forums 3.8.6

Ghostshadow
02-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Looking pretty good. I almost thought I went to a different website when I clicked on my bookmark tab for the forum, haha! I agree with some about the bright white but it's a fresh change. I do kind of wish things were a little be smaller though. The topics and categories look a bit large, but I'm sure we'll all get used to it over time.

harryb2448
02-01-2012, 01:06 AM
McYukon changing forum skin to 3.8.6 does precisely nothing.

MacDude121
02-01-2012, 01:44 AM
McYukon changing forum skin to 3.8.6 does precisely nothing.

3.8.4 switches it back to the old style. Which I think I may keep using until some of the small kinks are worked out of the new one. :)

Netty4mac
02-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Love it! :)

pendlewitch
02-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Hello,

This came as a surprise this morning, it's always good to see change and progress..well done.

Yes I know I can be a bore at times but I'll post this link again.

http://www.pnas.org/content/82/17/5983.full.pdf

I'm finding the home page difficult to navigate around, it has an 'Impressionist' feel.

EDIT-extract from article...

"In our experiments, brightness assimilation is less than half as strong as the effect of contrast. Thus, the brightness of an object is to a large extent determined by the local physical contrast around its border. However, assimilation is not negligible."

A change from Red to a medium Blue colour for header fills and fonts would probably nail it.

A quick question also, why is the Review pane so prominent? I find it distracts away from the forum.

Liam

Mini_mi
02-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Looks good. Definitely was confused for a bit. Thought I had gone to some other forum by accident.

Demapples
02-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Fresh and nice. I would like a single "what's new" button though, not two steps to get only "today's". Thanks and cheers. :Cool:

madwolfe
02-01-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm quite liking it, looking at new content isn't too difficult and getting to the subscriptions is easier.

I also, unlike others it seems, quite like the white - red combo. Much smoother.

iggibar
02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
This is weird. I reverted back to the old style, and I thought, "Ooh, this is nice!"
In my opinion, there was never a problem with the way it looked. It was real nice, simple layout, easy to navigate, and easy on the eye with the backgrounds/layers.
I'll probably be sticking to 3.8.4 for a while.

beamon
02-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Doug

Agree, you're already in the forum so why is the extra click needed?

Like it, generally.

I.M.O.G.
02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
A quick question also, why is the Review pane so prominent? I find it distracts away from the forum.

Liam
If you are referring to the featured articles on the homepage, it is prominent to do a better job of featuring the articles that are written, and encourage more people in the community to share articles. A nice article takes a little longer than an average forum post, so its good to highlight some of the best work of the community there. We've had a blog on Mac-Forums for quite some time, but it never used to be very functional and it wasn't ever featured well - we're looking to kick that up a notch. :)

This is weird. I reverted back to the old style, and I thought, "Ooh, this is nice!"
In my opinion, there was never a problem with the way it looked. It was real nice, simple layout, easy to navigate, and easy on the eye with the backgrounds/layers.
I'll probably be sticking to 3.8.4 for a while.

Everyone has their own tastes, nothing wrong with that! :) However from a positioning standpoint for the site, updating the design was an important move for the community. Apple products are pretty trendy and hip, while our old 3.8.4 design has been in place almost since the dawn of man - it has a distinct style that is more typical of a site in 2004 than a site in 2012. While the community has grown, evolved, and improved over the years - it deserved an updated style that also keeps up with the times. :)

Lifeisabeach
02-01-2012, 11:55 AM
3.8.4 switches it back to the old style. Which I think I may keep using until some of the small kinks are worked out of the new one. :)

Ditto. Thanks for bringing this up.

EDIT: as an FYI… if you are using the old skin, going to the main Mac-Forums page will give you a blank screen. e.g.:
http://www.mac-forums.com/

To get past this, go to:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/

Lifeisabeach
02-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I've talked with the design team a bit already about the whiteness when viewing threads, and they agree and understand the feedback. It will likely be tweaked to refine it a bit more yet to give more differentiation/contrast to break things up.

I was wondering why white-on-white never bothered me before in the old style, and on closer inspection… the old style isn't white on white. It's very very subtle, but the background behind the fonts is a very very soft blue, while the main background is white. I threw a screen cap inside a graphics editor and confirmed the changes with the color picker. RGB values are 251 each behind the fonts, and 255 each for the main background.

BTW… I never noticed it before, but I see now that the font colors changed to red when you hover over a link in the old skin. That was a nice touch and preferable to having the fonts always red.

Chuckoir
02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Being the "clicker" that I am, I clicked the button that takes you back to the old style forum...

How do I change it back?! :[

Moss
02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
It's been a little while, so I was surprised to see this when I came back! Looks good guys.

vansmith
02-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Being the "clicker" that I am, I clicked the button that takes you back to the old style forum...

How do I change it back?! :[In your user CP, go to Edit Options. At the bottom is a list of skin options. The new one is 3.8.6 and the old one is 3.8.4.

Chuckoir
02-01-2012, 01:16 PM
In your user CP, go to Edit Options. At the bottom is a list of skin options. The new one is 3.8.6 and the old one is 3.8.4.

Mint! Cheers, Van! :)

I promise not to just click on things willy-nilly from now on... ;)

pigoo3
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Aww...but then you won't have as much "fun"!;)

- Nick

vansmith
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Mint! Cheers, Van! :)

Aww...but then you won't have as much "fun"!;)

- NickHaha, I was going to say that. Where's the fun in restraint? :P

iggibar
02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Everyone has their own tastes, nothing wrong with that! :) However from a positioning standpoint for the site, updating the design was an important move for the community. Apple products are pretty trendy and hip, while our old 3.8.4 design has been in place almost since the dawn of man - it has a distinct style that is more typical of a site in 2004 than a site in 2012. While the community has grown, evolved, and improved over the years - it deserved an updated style that also keeps up with the times. :)

I have nothing against it, or anyone else's opinions...it's just that feeling you get when you get really comfortable with something, and it changes to something else. It's nice that we have the option to stick with the old version:)

I'm not sure if a new update to the rep meter was posted, but can you explain what the difference between light and dark rep circles? I noticed that some people that had 8 reps, now have 5 dark colored circles, and 3 lighter ones.

Groovetube
02-01-2012, 01:55 PM
nice clean look. Lights up the room here :)

I.M.O.G.
02-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I know that feeling iggibar. :)

The option to stick with the old version should remain I think, however I expect it to remain unmaintained. It is just a skin, so that should mean it will probably keep working just fine - but it won't get any improvements or fixes. As we make some refinements and improvements on the new design, I would hope the new skin may grow on you if you check it out down the road.

Haha, I was going to say that. Where's the fun in restraint? :P

Some people do have fun with restraints I hear.

vansmith
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Some people do have fun with restraints I hear.Haha, touche. ;)

I think iggibar is correct - people get comfortable with a particular design and it can be somewhat jarring to see such a drastic change. I think if we all give it time to settle, we'll find that the design works well.

pendlewitch
02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
If you are referring to the featured articles on the homepage, it is prominent to do a better job of featuring the articles that are written, and encourage more people in the community to share articles. A nice article takes a little longer than an average forum post, so its good to highlight some of the best work of the community there. We've had a blog on Mac-Forums for quite some time, but it never used to be very functional and it wasn't ever featured well - we're looking to kick that up a notch. :)

Hi Matt,
Thank you for your reply. Yes I was referring to this.

It just seems big and is looking like the most important thing about our forum. I did express an interest in helping with blogs but I haven't heard anything and I can't remember who it was who asked for the PM.
Anyway not to worry, more power to your elbow because I'm settling in with the new site nicely.
Cheers,
Liam

I.M.O.G.
02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Thats a valid concern and one I expressed when we were planning the change. The intent with the homepage was to feature both forum and blog content, so we were going for a balance there without marginalizing either - other than the featured article box, the homepage is nearly entirely forum content. Maybe it isn't a perfect balance, but a very good balance is what we were going for.

What I would really like to see would be for the blog to start covering forum things as well going forward, so that way the featured box for the blog also promotes the importance of the forum. Along with the design changes, we have also integrated forum comments into the blog articles now. Each time an article is published it creates a forum thread for discussion... In this way, the blog and forums will hopefully grow to become more complimentary than separate.

You can view a blog discussion thread here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/265488-review-cosmonaut-pen-ipad.html

You will also find those comments listed as part of the article at the bottom here:
Review: Cosmonaut pen for iPad | Mac-Forums Blog (http://www.mac-forums.com/blog/review-cosmonaut-pen-for-ipad/)

The blog is a great avenue to highlight forum talent, knowledge, and skill, so I'm hopeful it catches on with more people. Not everyone is into digging through forums and getting involved the way many of us are, but quite a few people are interested in learning from the skill-sets and experience we've gained if we share some things through the blog. There is a portion of the audience out there that finds a blog format less intimidating than a forum hierarchy - it should extend the reach of the community if all goes to plan. :)

By the way, follow up with AptMunich or me if you'd like to get involved writing or reviewing. He's the main man, but I can help get people started too. :)

JUKE179r
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
meh... I don't like it much...yet. It kind of reminds me of TUAW mixed 9to5 mixed with Mac Forums.
I'm not a paying member on here so I guess my opinions may not count as much. :Oops:

But I'll still come to vist! lol

MacDude121
02-01-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure if a new update to the rep meter was posted, but can you explain what the difference between light and dark rep circles? I noticed that some people that had 8 reps, now have 5 dark colored circles, and 3 lighter ones.

I was wondering about this as well.

I.M.O.G.
02-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I missed that question earlier, sorry. I don't know much about reputation dots, Mac-Forums may be the only forum I'm very familiar with that uses the reputation system and displays dots to represent reputation.

However, by right clicking and selecting "copy image URL", it appears the dark color dots indicate positive reputation points. The lighter color dots start after 5 dark color dots, and they represent highly positive reputation.

That is about all I know, but I don't think it means anything else special. These are the image URLs:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/custom/reputation/reputation_pos.png
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/custom/reputation/reputation_highpos.png

EndlessMac
02-02-2012, 12:04 AM

I was wondering about this as well.
I think it means those people are part of an under, very underground society. It's so secretive that its members don't even know they are in it. ;)

I've been trying to get in by bribing the mods but all they do is take my money and never let me in. :D

McYukon
02-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Nah, it appears to be the 1/2 way mark to full rank ( Whatever that is ;P )

I.M.O.G.
02-02-2012, 03:33 AM
I've been trying to get in by bribing the mods but all they do is take my money and never let me in. :D

I gave them specific instructions for how to let people in. Tell you what, I'll give you a special discount for your trouble - just do half the payment, direct to my personal account and I'll see that its taken care of. ;)

TattooedMac
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I am liking the new look, although it will take time to warm to the new ways of navigating around the forum.

As with quite a few others, I'm missing the 'Get New' perma link, as i use this 95% of the time.

Good work iNet peoples :)

EndlessMac
02-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I gave them specific instructions for how to let people in. Tell you what, I'll give you a special discount for your trouble - just do half the payment, direct to my personal account and I'll see that its taken care of. ;)
Now I see how things work around here, but I don't know where I'm going to find half of a penny? I think that might be the reason why I'm not getting in. ;)

As with quite a few others, I'm missing the 'Get New' perma link, as i use this 95% of the time.

The User CP is also another button I use a lot. I vote that the navigation buttons be the first to be fixed on the list since is it starting to sound like many people use it also.

RavingMac
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
I am going to start another thread for the benefit of people like me and Harry . . . Not to complain BTW

I.M.O.G.
02-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Now I see how things work around here, but I don't know where I'm going to find half of a penny? I think that might be the reason why I'm not getting in. ;)

The User CP is also another button I use a lot. I vote that the navigation buttons be the first to be fixed on the list since is it starting to sound like many people use it also.

It is near the top of my list as well, the absence of a subnav containing these elements was one of the first things I personally criticized about the design - people who really use the forum a lot like to quickly access those things. :)

We'll get it fixed, hopefully sooner than later.

Doug b
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
It is near the top of my list as well, the absence of a subnav containing these elements was one of the first things I personally criticized about the design - people who really use the forum a lot like to quickly access those things. :)

We'll get it fixed, hopefully sooner than later.

I wonder, could those navigation elements be made quick buttons in the top gray menu section?

BTW, was .psd and .zip part of the attachment repertoire previously?

Doug

I.M.O.G.
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I wonder, could those navigation elements be made quick buttons in the top gray menu section?

BTW, was .psd and .zip part of the attachment repertoire previously?

Doug

It could be part of that gray menu area, however if you click the white arrow in that section it rolls up to make the area smaller - it only has a single line worth of space when its compressed. To me, it seems most natural to have those sorts of elements in a subnav, directly below the main nav, like you find here:
Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/)

I don't think the attachment repertoire has changed - this is only a skinning upgrade, which doesn't effect vbulletin settings like those for attachments. I believe those attachment options have been available for some time, but often times you don't notice small changes until there is a big change that makes you pay more attention. :)

TattooedMac
02-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Question. How do i now no when my friends are online or not.

https://img.skitch.com/20120203-fj39ugjxawbbefnkyjbx9293p5.jpghttps://img.skitch.com/20120203-mwd2fexwkpae6ichb24ttxs1ic.jpg

I don't think this has been asked previously, or am i missing something simple ??

Cheers

dtravis7
02-03-2012, 02:37 AM
They are working on getting that back. Bugs me also. For now Click on Quick Links and then on Who's Online. Hope that helps.

dtravis7
02-03-2012, 02:37 AM
They are working on getting that back. Bugs me also. For now Click on Quick Links and then on Who's Online. Hope that helps.

ronin67
02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Folks. The new layout design is so much better. Great job, love it.:Cool:

May God bless.

Ed

TattooedMac
02-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Yea thanks Dennis mate. The long way isn't worth the effort though. Its just nice at a glance to know if you can get a conversation going with the OP if there still around or so on. You can give the long answer to get through until tomorrow, or the short quick get answers now type of post . . . . . . If that makes sense ? lol

Kaioshoryuken1
02-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Personally, I've switched back to the old skin. Having all the forum categories at the bottom of the page felt very inconvenient. It was nice having the topics with activity posted at the top of the page, but if at all possible, I think having all that below the forum categories would be best.

The reason being the forum categories is a short yet very important field, and it doesn't take up much space. Having the topic list underneath it would be good.

That's just my opinion, though :) Do whatever you want, lol.

Bundy
02-05-2012, 01:37 PM
A great new look. I was pleasantly surprised to see the new decor when I checked in today. Haven't had a chance to give it a real good go over but first impression is nice and clean looking.

Way to go!!

xstep
02-05-2012, 03:51 PM
This site is pretty broken. I have to remove all of the site cookies in Safari and Firefox to even get in. Oddly, OmniWeb seems fine. Then, where are the forums. Half the time I can't find them. I might have just now figured it out. The Forums menu heading is also a selector.

This is the worst upgrade I've seen on any site. What with the cookies?!

I.M.O.G.
02-06-2012, 11:07 AM
xstep, I feel a bit insulted by your comment, but I understand the site isn't working well for you. I'll see if we can help you. If you refer to the 90 posts before yours in this thread, most everyone else is not experiencing the cookie or navigation issue that you are - there might be something special causing an issue for you which we need to figure out.

Are you using anything special to manage cookies or logins?

I've tested firefox, IE, and chrome myself - all seem to be working fine with logging into the forums. If you can PM me further details, or post in this thread, I should be able to help you further.

iggibar
02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Did you remove the option to revert back to the old style? I can't even see it on the edit options section. It was working fine less than an hour ago.

RavingMac
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Did you remove the option to revert back to the old style? I can't even see it on the edit options section. It was working fine less than an hour ago.

Still there (at least on my page--though it appears to have shifted a bit to the right).

I.M.O.G.
02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
It should be near the bottom of the options page here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

iggibar
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
It should be near the bottom of the options page here:

It's gone:( I knew it was there last time, because I witched back after trying the new interface. I tried logging out, resetting cache, and deleting history...nothing. What's weird is that I was using the old interface just 1-2 hours ago.

I.M.O.G.
02-06-2012, 03:21 PM
It's there for me on the new skin, and its also there for Razormac... Can anyone else confirm if they have the option to change their skin on this page:

xstep
02-06-2012, 03:46 PM
xstep, I feel a bit insulted by your comment, but I understand the site isn't working well for you. I'll see if we can help you. If you refer to the 90 posts before yours in this thread, most everyone else is not experiencing the cookie or navigation issue that you are - there might be something special causing an issue for you which we need to figure out.

Are you using anything special to manage cookies or logins?

I've tested firefox, IE, and chrome myself - all seem to be working fine with logging into the forums. If you can PM me further details, or post in this thread, I should be able to help you further.

I don't know why you'd feel insulted by my comments. The thing wasn't working for me and cookies seemed to be the cause, as removing them from both Safari and Firefox fixed those browsers temporarily. Naturally seeing a blank screen isn't much of an upgrade, so that is why I described it as the worst upgrade I've seen. I have yet to decide if I like the look & feel.

As of this very session, this is the first time I have come to this site since the upgrade and it loaded without me removing the previous set of cookies. I just tested FF and it too worked. I don't know what voodoo is happening but I'll hope all has magically been fixed.

I have nothing extra on those two browsers for cookies or logins. I see in Safari that I do block cookies from third party sites and advertisers. It looks like FF is setup in a similar manner.

I've learned my way around the forums issue. I can now find them and my subscriptions. Perhaps subscriptions could be added to the Forum menu.

Thanks for your concern. If the problem returns, I'll repost.

MacDude121
02-06-2012, 04:00 PM
It's there for me on the new skin, and its also there for Razormac... Can anyone else confirm if they have the option to change their skin on this page:

Gone for me as well. It also forced to the new skin because I know I had it set to the old style when I left last night.

iggibar
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm in my PlayBook, and I can't see it on here either.

MacDude121
02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm in my PlayBook, and I can't see it on here either.

Not sure what's going on. Kinda unfortunate that I have to adjust to the new skin so fast, seeing as there's still quite a few issues and bugs that have not been corrected yet. (at least for me)

Has the user control panel been looked at at all lately? Not sure about others, but for me the spacing and text is all over the place. The Received Rep area also shows big red (X)'s where the small green dots used to be.

I.M.O.G.
02-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Not sure what's going on. Kinda unfortunate that I have to adjust to the new skin so fast, seeing as there's still quite a few issues and bugs that have not been corrected yet. (at least for me)

Has the user control panel been looked at at all lately? Not sure about others, but for me the spacing and text is all over the place. The Received Rep area also shows big red (X)'s where the small green dots used to be.

Yup, those issues are already noted for being fixed. Thanks!

I.M.O.G.
02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Gone for me as well. It also forced to the new skin because I know I had it set to the old style when I left last night.

That is not intended, and it appears some users have the ability to choose their preference still while others do not. I'm looking into what is going on here, thanks for the input.

EDIT: It should be fixed now. :)

iggibar
02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Yep, it works now:) Thanks.

MacDude121
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
That is not intended, and it appears some users have the ability to choose their preference still while others do not. I'm looking into what is going on here, thanks for the input.

EDIT: It should be fixed now. :)

Fixed for me too. Thank you very much. :)

dtravis7
02-06-2012, 06:20 PM
I guess it was just affecting some users as I could see the selection for Skin the whole time. Glad it's fixed though.

xstep
02-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your concern. If the problem returns, I'll repost.

Problem is still occurring. I'll play with deleting individual cookies, but my patience with this is quickly coming to an end. **** gremlins!

xstep
02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
...but I understand the site isn't working well for you.

The latest is I got a blank screen again today. I removed one cookie, the bbstyleid cookie, did a reload, and the page displayed as it should.

Aptmunich
02-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Problem is still occurring. I'll play with deleting individual cookies, but my patience with this is quickly coming to an end. **** gremlins!

Thanks to everyone for being patient, people are working hard to get all the little bugs here and there sorted out.
Big thanks to Matt and his team – anyone who has worked on a project this big, with a gigantic database and as many users as this site has, knows how hard this type of rollout can be.

I realize there are a few individual quirks, but this whole process has been extremely smooth given how much there is to update.

pendlewitch
02-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for being patient, people are working hard to get all the little bugs here and there sorted out.
Big thanks to Matt and his team – anyone who has worked on a project this big, with a gigantic database and as many users as this site has, knows how hard this type of rollout can be.

I realize there are a few individual quirks, but this whole process has been extremely smooth given how much there is to update.

Can I just second this and commend you all for showing polite diplomacy in the face of what has been at times some awfully rude criticism.

xstep
02-08-2012, 08:03 PM
The latest is I got a blank screen again today. I removed one cookie, the bbstyleid cookie, did a reload, and the page displayed as it should.

I confirmed again today that the bbstyleid cookie is at least one of the gremlins causing my issue.

Postoak
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Personally I like the new format much better, much easier on the eyes.

I.M.O.G.
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
The links in the forum subnav are back at the top, rather than hover clicking! The online indicator is also back, below the avatar to indicate if someone is online.

Doug b
02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
The links in the forum subnav are back at the top, rather than hover clicking! The online indicator is also back, below the avatar to indicate if someone is online.

Just noticed this... great job! Thanks for your efforts everyone!

Doug

Doug b
02-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Hmm.. Having an issue and not sure if it is related to changes being made. Last night, I posted a new thread with (as I count them) 9 images. No emoticons and only two other html address links. It let me post just fine, and I was able to see all of the images as well.

I came back today and noticed that none of the images were posted, so I tried putting them back in. But when I tried to save the post, I got a message saying that I have 14 images and am only allowed to post up to 10. Again, I only count 9 images, so can you tell me if it's me or something else?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/266247-compact-flash-card-reader-ipad-mini-review.html

Thanks!

Doug

Edit: And now the images are back again? Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

Kevriano
02-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the direct links, much better, one thing though (grammar police alert), can we have the first letter upper case on each please, it looks nicer/proper. Thanks :)

iggibar
02-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Hmm.. Having an issue and not sure if it is related to changes being made. Last night, I posted a new thread with (as I count them) 9 images. No emoticons and only two other html address links. It let me post just fine, and I was able to see all of the images as well.

I came back today and noticed that none of the images were posted, so I tried putting them back in. But when I tried to save the post, I got a message saying that I have 14 images and am only allowed to post up to 10. Again, I only count 9 images, so can you tell me if it's me or something else?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/266247-compact-flash-card-reader-ipad-mini-review.html

Thanks!

Doug

Edit: And now the images are back again? Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

The images don't work for me when going to the link provided. They show up as a square with a question mark. However, if I right click on the pic box, and tell it to open in a new tab, it works. Does the same thing on Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

Doug b
02-12-2012, 05:22 AM
The images don't work for me when going to the link provided. They show up as a square with a question mark. However, if I right click on the pic box, and tell it to open in a new tab, it works. Does the same thing on Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

There is definitely something strange happening. When I go to the post directly from the forum link, only some pics make it. But when clicking on an external link, I see no photos at all. This has to be a forum bug.

Doug

Demapples
02-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Just noticed the '"New posts" link. Nice! (Must have been missing it all along, or it was just added)

iggibar
02-12-2012, 09:40 AM
There is definitely something strange happening. When I go to the post directly from the forum link, only some pics make it. But when clicking on an external link, I see no photos at all. This has to be a forum bug.

Doug

I'm going to try posting an image from sketch:
https://img.skitch.com/20120201-xu9hc1dyww9au8r557rtm11x6a.jpg

Seems to be working fine for me when importing photos in https:.....jpg format.
Maybe there's a problem with the photo site you are using?

Oh...I just realized, your links are working fine now.

baggss
02-13-2012, 03:26 AM
I gave the new skin about a week and then I couldn't stand it anymore and went back to the old one. Ah well.

I.M.O.G.
02-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Doug

The images are hosted externally, not on mac-forums - they are loading fine for me now, but weren't the other day. I can't see any sort of forum bug, just looks like the external server isn't always serving up the images when the thread loads. If the images are uploaded to the forum and are not displaying, I would be more concerned.

Any other threads where anything similar is happening? I think its just the image server the poster used.

iggibar
02-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Hey I.M.O.G.,
I've been using the new MF...might as well get used to it, and help out. I was wondering, is it at all possible to change the font colors so that it's easier to distinguish from read and non-read threads. As of right now, to me, it looks like they blend in too easily with each other.

For some reason, I think Mac-Forums works better on Google Chrome than Safari or Firefox.

I.M.O.G.
02-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Currently, unread threads are marked by bold text, and a red icon:
Regular unread thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/custom/statusicon/thread_new.png
Hot unread thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/custom/statusicon/thread_hot_new.png

Read threads are marked in non-bold text, and a grey icon:
Regular read thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/custom/statusicon/thread.png
Hot read thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/custom/statusicon/thread_hot.png

Do you have a suggestion for how to change the font colors for read/unread, in a way that works with the theme? I'm not too good with colors and design stuff personally, but I like to make specific suggestions whenever possible.

vansmith
02-13-2012, 06:09 PM
I have a general question: what makes a thread "hot"?

iggibar
02-13-2012, 06:10 PM
I believe the "Forum" section works fine with the current color setting, and doesn't need changing.
After that, say you are clicking on Schweb's Lounge, that's where you become inundated with the red.
The new, or updated threads look fine with the bold red. It's the old one's that would look better with a different color. To me, anything in red suggests importance, which fits a new/fresh thread fine. I believe the tried and tested color of black text for ond threads/links works and looks best.

I think the folders only help to the smallest degree, at least to me because I go up and down the listings and look only at the text...to know what the thread is. I don't really read the thread title, and look to the left to check out the folder. I actually can't remember ever looking at it until the upgrade.

Also, if it were me, I would change the clickable user's name to a different color so that it doesn't all blend in on the forum section. I envision a dark blue for that would look nice, or even the same shade you see on the user's name you see once viewing a thread. I wish I could tinker with it and help you out, but I'm only a member.

What do you think?

I.M.O.G.
02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
@iggibar: That could work. Let me give it some thought and maybe try some things out on stage to see what it looks like.

I have a general question: what makes a thread "hot"?

15 posts in the thread, or 150 views... Those may be fairly default settings for vbulletin, and may be something staff should consider adjusting to something more fitting for the amount of traffic we see here. Almost every thread here is "hot" currently. :)

vansmith
02-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the ins and out of vBulletin yet.

I.M.O.G.
02-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Me neither, its a twisted web vbulletin weaves. But I have picked up a thing or two at least.

iLove
02-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Looks great!

cptkrf
02-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I have to go with the nay sayers. Ever since CRTs hooked to some electronic device came out, red has always meant, "Uh-oh." I will get used to that, I guess, but since the beginning of time (that is, Arpanet), links have always been a shade of blue. Any Internet user with more than a month of surfing will automatically see the blue links in a document.

Now they just blend in with everything else. You have to run your mouse over the line to see if you get a pointer change.

vansmith
02-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I have to go with the nay sayers. Ever since CRTs hooked to some electronic device came out, red has always meant, "Uh-oh." I will get used to that, I guess, but since the beginning of time (that is, Arpanet), links have always been a shade of blue. Any Internet user with more than a month of surfing will automatically see the blue links in a document.True, blue is the most common colour (it helps being the default). However, I'd say the widespread use of CSS on links across the web has made all of us quite aware of the different colours of links. On top of that, blue would look really out of place here.

Now they just blend in with everything else. You have to run your mouse over the line to see if you get a pointer change.How so? The body of posts have black texts with red hyperlinks - seems obvious to me.

xstep
02-19-2012, 04:44 PM
True, blue is the most common colour (it helps being the default). However, I'd say the widespread use of CSS on links across the web has made all of us quite aware of the different colours of links. On top of that, blue would look really out of place here.

How so? The body of posts have black texts with red hyperlinks - seems obvious to me.

Looking at your post tells a different story. Your signature has links. They are gray or black, not sure, which blends in with the rest of the text. They only turn red when I cursor over them.

vansmith
02-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I haven't modified the link colouring in my signature in the slightest and they appear red here. I can't explain why you see black links.

Lifeisabeach
02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Looking at your post tells a different story. Your signature has links. They are gray or black, not sure, which blends in with the rest of the text. They only turn red when I cursor over them.

That's how it looks in the old forum skin, which I'm using. The new forum skin, which I'm double-checking in another browser, has hypertext links as red, the way vansmith describes.

iggibar
02-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I tried hard to get used to the new look...again...and just can't get used to it.
For the life of me, I just can't stand the large spacing. I hate the feeling that the new look gives off as if you have the web browser on zoom. Compared to the old one, it feels less...efficient...that's the best word I can describe it as. Here's a clear comparison of how much extra info you see with the previous version.
Both windows are open to the max without going "full screen" just had them overlapped so you can see them both at once, and both use the top pixel row of the "thread/thread starter" bar as a guide.
Isn't it possible to reduce the spacing? That would be AWESOME!

vansmith
02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
You mean like this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/presto_magico.png

You can achieve this effect by adding some CSS to Chrome's custom stylesheet. Open up ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/User StyleSheets/Custom.css and add the following:
.tborder td {
padding: 4px 6px !important;
}Save it and presto (it should work immediately).

Lifeisabeach
02-20-2012, 10:40 PM
You can achieve this effect by adding some CSS to Chrome's custom stylesheet. Open up ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/User StyleSheets/Custom.css and add the following:
.tborder td {
padding: 4px 6px !important;
}Save it and presto (it should work immediately).

Any suggestions on how to change that red font to a different color in the same manner? In Safari? The spacing and that color are the two big things that are keeping me from using the new skin.

vansmith
02-20-2012, 11:36 PM
This (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger_v2.safariextz) is the best I could do. It's not perfect (it makes all links and most of the text black) but it might help.

As a note for those using the custom CSS above in my previous post - that may affect other sites (it looks for certain elements on a page that may have the same names on other sites). You've been warned. ;) I could make it into a Chrome extension and control what domains are affected (as I do for the extension here) if there is demand.

EDIT: Chrome extension (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFPaddingChanger.crx) for my previous post which will prevent the changes made there from affecting any other site. It's also easily installed as well. :)

Lifeisabeach
02-21-2012, 12:05 AM
This (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger_v2.safariextz) is the best I could do. It's not perfect (it makes all links and most of the text black) but it might help.

Thanks. The font color change across the board made it worse, unfortunately, but I appreciate the stab at it. I'm just going back to the old skin. I quite frankly hate the new look. The high contrast style is just too overwhelming.

vansmith
02-21-2012, 12:42 AM
I tried but I can't differentiate between the links since they are all share similar IDs or classes. My CSS skills aren't that advanced (yet). As such, it's an all or nothing at this point. It does give me a good opportunity to learn some new skill though.

Lifeisabeach
02-21-2012, 01:06 AM
I tried but I can't differentiate between the links since they are all share similar IDs or classes. My CSS skills aren't that advanced (yet). As such, it's an all or nothing at this point. It does give me a good opportunity to learn some new skill though.

My creation skills are more or less nonexistent, but what I am good at is reverse engineering. :D. I found out how to unpack your extension to look it over and maybe tweak it, but apparently you have to be a registered developer to save it? Well anywho, I didn't bother looking more into it since I couldn't have saved it. Changing the font won't address the general high contrast in the new style anyway. That high contrast is **** on the eyes.

vansmith
02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
My creation skills are more or less nonexistent, but what I am good at is reverse engineering. :D. I found out how to unpack your extension to look it over and maybe tweak it, but apparently you have to be a registered developer to save it?Haha, unzip it. :P

It's nothing fancy - it's just injected CSS. And yes, to create Safari extensions, you need to be a registered developer which is a pain when you just want to make small changes to someone else's extension to meet your needs.

iggibar
02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
I'd rather not mess with the whole editing things, as it alters all websites in general, and also is for chrome. Simpler to just revert to the old look. Is it too much to ask for to revert o the previous style of the spacing?

vansmith
02-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I'd rather not mess with the whole editing things, as it alters all websites in general, and also is for chrome.The extension I linked to above limits the changes to MF and takes 3 seconds to install. You also had a screenshot in which you're using Chrome so I assumed you used Chrome. ;)

MYmacROX
02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Is it too much to ask for to revert o the previous style of the spacing?

I'd also like to see the old style of spacing. I'm using Safari and have no knowledge of the "altering" you guys discussed earlier. I'd just like to see it more stream-lined and less "clunky". It feels like a child's version of a website. IDK, that's just the best way I can describe my impression of the new look. :Smirk:

xstep
02-24-2012, 02:21 AM
That's how it looks in the old forum skin, which I'm using. The new forum skin, which I'm double-checking in another browser, has hypertext links as red, the way vansmith describes.

That's interesting. I'd check just to see it, but for the last week I haven't had to delete a cookie to load this site, so I'm not messing with it.

Mr.MacOSX
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Hey You guys! I'm new at this forum.. I was wondering on how do you change your profile picture on MacForums? Is it only for senior or staff members? Or does it work on a point system that you gotta have a certain level of points to change your profile picture? Thanx every one!

vansmith
02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Go to your User CP > Edit Avatar.

MacsWork
03-03-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm sure you've spent countless hours on making improvements to this forum.

But to be blunt, I absolutely hate it.

I feel like I'm using one of those phones for old people where the phone only has a number pad and the buttons are one inch squared.

Not that my contributions on this site are monumental, but a a user I find myself forcing myself back, versus wanting to participate.

cwa107
03-03-2012, 04:47 PM

I feel like I'm using one of those phones for old people where the phone only has a number pad and the buttons are one inch squared.

Not that my contributions on this site are monumental, but a a user I find myself forcing myself back, versus wanting to participate.

I don't think you've given it enough of a chance.

I felt the same way at first, but after a few days, it was like second nature.

pendlewitch
03-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Just shy of 2K of posts is no small contribution, can you not look beyond the aesthetic and get involved again?

MacsWork
03-04-2012, 12:20 PM

Doy...I'll just use the previous version of the site. Much better.

cwa107
03-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Doy...I'll just use the previous version of the site. Much better.

But ultimately, that will go away at some point. Might as well get used to it now.

It's really not that significant of a difference. You just have to give it some time.

MacsWork
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM
But ultimately, that will go away at some point. Might as well get used to it now.

Bummer

It's really not that significant of a difference. You just have to give it some time.

I'll agree to disagree. I've used it for a month. I doubt more time will change my mind. With all change you're gonna have pros and cons. I just don't see the pros. Since most everything I've noticed is aesthetic, and not functionality as I don't belong to any groups, or follow any threads. So if there is more function, it's beyond my usage. I do feel like I get as much out as I put in, which is why I gave my two ˘ to begin with. And that's OK with me.

No worries.

Lifeisabeach
03-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Um… yes it is that significant a difference. The high contrast alone hurts my eyes. Literally. Aesthetically, there's some good ideas, but it's far from polished. I won't rehash my objections to the new look, but I will have to say that if the old skin goes away, barring any corrections of some of the more egregious issues with the new look, I''ll be out too. The high contrast alone is simply intolerable for me.

I get that you guys want to freshen the look of the site up some, but quite frankly it was highly functional and pleasant as it was. I don't get the whole "it looks too 90's", and furthermore don't get how the new look is supposed to be more modern. The old skin was most certainly a very professional job, while the new skin is quite amateurish. I hate to be so blunt, and I certainly don't expect anything to change to suit me, but being silent isn't going to get any attention either. I'd be curious to see what exactly was the inspiration for the changes. There are no websites, blogs, or forums that I frequent that even remotely look like this new skin.

cwa107
03-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Um… yes it is that significant a difference. The high contrast alone hurts my eyes. Literally. Aesthetically, there's some good ideas, but it's far from polished. I won't rehash my objections to the new look, but I will have to say that if the old skin goes away, barring any corrections of some of the more egregious issues with the new look, I''ll be out too. The high contrast alone is simply intolerable for me.

Black on white is kind of a common theme - just off the top of my head, Mail both on OS X and iOS uses that theme, let alone a large majority of blogs and news sites.

Yes, I think it's kind of shocking when you're used to looking at the forum one way for many years. And to be honest, I found it annoying at first... but after a few days, it seemed pretty normal to me.

I get that you guys want to freshen the look of the site up some, but quite frankly it was highly functional and pleasant as it was. I don't get the whole "it looks too 90's", and furthermore don't get how the new look is supposed to be more modern. The old skin was most certainly a very professional job, while the new skin is quite amateurish. I hate to be so blunt, and I certainly don't expect anything to change to suit me, but being silent isn't going to get any attention either. I'd be curious to see what exactly was the inspiration for the changes. There are no websites, blogs, or forums that I frequent that even remotely look like this new skin.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I do think it looks fresh and modern. Yes, there are a few lipstick and mascara issues that have yet to be addressed, but I think it's made good progress since it was introduced.

I'm really surprised that you find it that appalling. The basic theme of grays/whites/blacks and reds are a common theme to both the old and the new skins. Yes, there's some differences in formatting and the text is black on white, but to my eyes, it's not that dramatic.

Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative and I'm sorry you feel this way - I was just hoping that you'd given it a chance before dismissing it.

Lifeisabeach
03-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Black on white is kind of a common theme - just off the top of my head, Mail both on OS X and iOS uses that theme, let alone a large majority of blogs and news sites.

You can't really compare to those. In Mail, you are reading one message at a time. Here, a thread has replies stacked on top of each other. On blogs and new sites, you generally are reading one article at a time on a page, rather than on top of each other. I suppose there are exceptions, but the ones I frequent have more colors and textures to them. This site right now is downright boring.

Oh, and Mail does make use of a blue background in the pane for the mailboxes, along with softer font colors. If it was black-on-white like the list of messages, it would look hideous.

I'm really surprised that you find it that appalling. The basic theme of grays/whites/blacks and reds are a common theme to both the old and the new skins. Yes, there's some differences in formatting and the text is black on white, but to my eyes, it's not that dramatic.

Really it's a combination of element changes here that's making it harder to read, not simply the high contrast. The gaps between the lines are huge now, which makes the white background pop out that much more. The reds are way overkill now. The red fonts are just too much, at least as bright as they are. A darker maroon wouldn't be so bad perhaps. The red titlebars are now oversized and disproportionate to the text inside them. And there was actually a lot of use of blue in the old theme that is mostly gone. In fact, there were several soft shades of blue used everywhere. It helped break up the page and differentiate different elements in a page. The white-floating-on-white that's going on now is pretty awful. Honestly now… can you point me to any site that does it like that? If you want a 3D-ish look like that, you need something more to add to the depth perception. Say… here's an idea I just had… why not white floating on blue, like clouds on the sky? It'd sorta tie in to Apple's iCloud thing in a way, and bring back in the blues from the old theme.

Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative and I'm sorry you feel this way - I was just hoping that you'd given it a chance before dismissing it.

Oh you aren't being argumentative. And I have tried to give the new look a chance, but it really is difficult to read. There are a lot of GREAT ideas… really there are, but the execution is just sloppy IMO. The site has come along a bit better than the first time I saw the preview, or at least it seems it has, but it still needs a lot of polishing.

shannongavin
03-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone,
First, thank you for making this thread!! FYI- I happen to be a techie myself, (nearly 18 years of technical support at Cisco.) I have searched all over mac-forums, even tried goodsearch.com, as well as searching this thread once I found it.

I cannot figure out how to post a new thread. (I even did "contact us", but I never heard back.)

Thanks!!
Shannon

cwa107
03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone,
First, thank you for making this thread!! FYI- I happen to be a techie myself, (nearly 18 years of technical support at Cisco.) I have searched all over mac-forums, even tried goodsearch.com, as well as searching this thread once I found it.

I cannot figure out how to post a new thread. (I even did "contact us", but I never heard back.)

Thanks!!
Shannon

The automated response that you received after sending a 'Contact Us' inquiry has instructions for creating a new thread (assuming you supplied a valid email address during the process).

Mini_mi
03-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks!!
Shannon

To start a new thread enter into one of the forum categories like 'Notebooks'
then. Click red 'New Thread' button.

shannongavin
03-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks Mini_Mi, that was a great help. :-)

xstep
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
I see you've messed with the system again. I got a blank screen once more and had to remove the cookie I mentioned in my previous posts.

I.M.O.G.
03-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Seems like a browser problem or system configuration issue really. I haven't heard anyone reporting issues other than you, which makes it a very difficult problem to address on my end.

Nothing has been changed on the site from our end xstep, so I can't correlate your problem to anything being done here. Sorry I can't help more, I just don't know what to tell you from here.

xstep
03-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Seems like a browser problem or system configuration issue really. I haven't heard anyone reporting issues other than you, which makes it a very difficult problem to address on my end.

Nothing has been changed on the site from our end xstep, so I can't correlate your problem to anything being done here. Sorry I can't help more, I just don't know what to tell you from here.

Well that's annoying. I've tried several things and so far only deleting that one cookie fixes it, for a short while. I can't imagine why the problem returned. If I add /forums to the end the URL I bypass the main page and the problem.

I.M.O.G.
03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Well that's annoying. I've tried several things and so far only deleting that one cookie fixes it, for a short while. I can't imagine why the problem returned. If I add /forums to the end the URL I bypass the main page and the problem.

The homepage does not work correctly with recognizing vbulletin login - this is pending resolution. However, it doesn't matter if you are logged in on the homepage - the homepage works the same for logged in members or guests.

The forum login itself should work normally. Logging in from any page on the forum, and coming back to the forum, logins should work fine. Only on the homepage does it not work correctly.

xstep
03-23-2012, 04:29 PM
The homepage does not work correctly with recognizing vbulletin login - this is pending resolution. However, it doesn't matter if you are logged in on the homepage - the homepage works the same for logged in members or guests.

The forum login itself should work normally. Logging in from any page on the forum, and coming back to the forum, logins should work fine. Only on the homepage does it not work correctly.

None of that means anything to me regarding the blank homepage I see.