Which Mic?

Reaction score
Im stuck on which mic to get. Im on a budget of $240. I have the choice of getting one of the following: Blue Yeti Pro (no interface) or MXL 990 Condenser mic (with interface). The reason why I ask is because i want good sound and no latency when i play back the recorded track and its for vocals. Ill be using the mic on Logic Pro 9 on an iMac with OSX Lion. Keep in mind that i have a CAD u37 usb mic and Im using it on Reaper and its giving me terrible latency problems. If you can help me out that would be great. Thank you.

C

chas_m

I have no experience with the MXL you mention, but I use Blue mics for podcasts, radio commercials and just recently a movie voiceover and from my perspective they work great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15" Iphone4
Mic

I would have to say Blue..Its a shame you can only choose between those two mics, for 20.00 bucks cheaper you could get the Rhode NT1-A. This is one of the best mics bang for your buck. Also you say you have latency issues with that other mic.. Its not the mic thats causing the latency, its all the variables..your computer, your daw software and processors, If using any..Depending on the DAW your using, you should be able to buffer in Audio Preferences...Hope this helps

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Rhode nt1-A is a killer mic for vocals. the vocal kit includes a shock mount and pop shield. its got a nice, bright tone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.