Will the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter work with the Mini Display port on my MBP

Reaction score
Hello all

I hope someone can help me

What I want to know is quite simple

I have a mid 2009 13'' Unibody MacBook Pro

with the MacBook Pro I have a mini-display port to DVI adaptor, which was connected to my Samsung monitor via DVI and worked perfectly, this monitor has now gone elsewhere in my house.

I also have a 17'' Apple ADC Studio LCD Display connected into my Quicksilver G4 again working fine, but the G4 is sluggish, but I do really like its matching monitor.

I'm intending to buy the fairly expensive Apple DVI to ADC Adapter and I am hoping to connect it to my 13'' MacBook Pro, through the mini display port interface is this possible and will it work?

the only source of evidence I found was a while back showing a photo of a new style macbook air apparently connected to and driving one of the larger 23'' ADC displays via its display port and that was apparently working fine.

I've been told in theory this should work, because the ADC adaptor other than providing a power source for the monitor isn't doing anything else, since ADC is still a DVI signal, its just apples proprietary version of it

I hope someone can help

kinds regards & thanks a lot Ryan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I also have a 17'' Apple ADC Studio LCD Display connected into my Quicksilver G4 again working fine, but the G4 is sluggish, but I do really like its matching monitor.

I'm intending to buy the fairly expensive Apple DVI to ADC Adapter and I am hoping to connect it to my 13'' MacBook Pro, through the mini display port interface is this possible and will it work?

Don't bother:

- That 17" Apple display with the ADC cable is worth about $25 bucks.
- The ADC to DVI adapter (depending on what you're looking at) can cost $100+
- a newer used 17" LCD monitor with a DVI port will cost you about $25-$30.

So basically...why spend close to $100 bucks to get an old ancient Apple monitor to worth with your MBP...when you can spend just $25-$30 for a newer used 17" monitor with a DVI port?

Or...use the same $100 that would be spent on the ADC to DVI adapter...and buy a used 22" monitor with a DVI port...which would be far SUPERIOR to the old 17" Apple monitor.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Don't bother:

- That 17" Apple display with the ADC cable is worth about $25 bucks.
- The ADC to DVI adapter (depending on what you're looking at) can cost $100+
- a newer used 17" LCD monitor with a DVI port will cost you about $25-$30.

So basically...why spend close to $100 bucks to get an old ancient Apple monitor to worth with your MBP...when you can spend just $25-$30 for a newer used 17" monitor with a DVI port?

Or...use the same $100 that would be spent on the ADC to DVI adapter...and buy a used 22" monitor with a DVI port...which would be far SUPERIOR to the old 17" Apple monitor.

- Nick

thanks for the reply, sorry but I won't be taking your opinion into consideration, because thats not what I asked in the first place.

I don't want a generic 17'' display it would look FUGLY next to my MacBook Pro. If you have used any Apple display especially the old 2003 style ones they are awesome image quality. The display what I currently have belonged to a friend of my mums, who used it very rarely with her MDD G4 and as such its like new and mint condition, I believe that the display retailed for $699 when she got it in the summer of 2003.

I already had a 22'' display with DVI, my old 22'' Samsung 226bw which was suppose to be one of Samsung flagship models in 2007 can't even come close to the colour and image quality. I don't care what samsungs specs say about it, its simply not as good a panel to the one in the Apple display. My samsung got damaged when my iSight Camera fell onto the screen and scratched it so I gave it to my parents to use with the mac mini.

My samsung like many other displays i've used seem to have horrendous viewing angles whereas this 17'' Apple display is viewable in any 180 degree direction with no loss in image or colours at all

finally to top it all off I have already bought the ADC-DVI adaptor, I am 99% it will work just fine.

I'm not sure where you've seen a 17'' Apple display for $25, here in the UK the cheapest one i've seen on ebay in good condition like mine with no damage to the case or screen and without dead pixels is about £80-£100.

I'm using the display whilst my macbook pro is in desktop mode, because I have a window directly behind my desk I also just bought the Final Cut Studio 3 suite for my video transfer business and I would prefer a larger screen, the 13'' is kinda small for editing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the reply, sorry but I won't be taking your opinion into consideration, because thats not what I asked in the first place.

finally to top it all off I have already bought the ADC-DVI adaptor, I am 99% it will work just fine.

I'm not really sure why you posted in the first place! Your thread title states: "Will the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter work with the Mini Display port on my MBP?" If you're 99% sure it will work...then really why ask?

Secondly...in your first post you said "I'm intending to buy the fairly expensive Apple DVI to ADC Adapter..."...in your 2nd post you said that you already bought it. "Intending" means that you HAVEN'T purchased it yet...if you knew that you already bought this adapter BEFORE you made your first post...why say "Intending"???

The bottom line is...you ALREADY have the adapter, you ALREADY have your old Apple monitor, and you ALREADY have the MacBook. So why not just plug everything together?? Why waste our time posting this question...when you could have answered it yourself???

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
The bottom line is...you ALREADY have the adapter Nick

well I only won the bid on ebay yesterday so haven't got it yet.

I shouldn't even waste my time on here no one on any web forums for me has ever answered a straight forward question, they either give me an opinion which is no use to me or just question why I'm doing it. I'm just going to try it, after all its not the end of the world I can just use my Mac mini instead if it somehow don't work on the mbp

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure where you've seen a 17'' Apple display for $25, here in the UK the cheapest one i've seen on ebay in good condition like mine with no damage to the case or screen and without dead pixels is about £80-£100.

I'm in the United States...and you're in the UK. I was stating what they are worth here. I do realize (since we have many members from the UK) that used computer items in the UK are worth more.

If you had filled in your Mac-Forums profile with your location...then I could have taken this into consideration when mentioning values.

Finally...the OLD Apple LCD displays may have decent image quality...but they have ABSOLUTELY terrible response times (16ms)...are absolutely terrible when it comes to gaming or watching videos...and the resolution on the 17" display is "teeny" by todays standards.

Hey...I have absolutely nothing against you continuing to use this older monitor...I have three of them!:) I've been a Macintosh user for 26 years...and I have TONS of old Macintosh equipment.

I was simply answering your questions relative to the financial impact of trying to get this old ADC based monitor to work with much newer Apple hardware. The same money you spent on that ADC-DVI adapter...you could have purchased a more modern & greater resolution monitor.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I shouldn't even waste my time on here no one on any web forums for me has ever answered a straight forward question, they either give me an opinion which is no use to me or just question why I'm doing it.

I can only say one thing...you couldn't have made a more incorrect statement than what you said above!!!:( Mac-Forums is probably one of the BEST internet forums out there. VERY VERY helpful, VERY VERY fair, and VERY VERY well moderated (folks don't get flamed, abused, or bullied by other members)...and no one gets made fun of for making what others would consider "stupid questions".

So you couldn't be more wrong my friend!!!:(

- Nick

p.s. Since you only have a total of 3 posts...and have been a member of Mac-Forums for less than 10 hours...maybe you should hold off on making such judgements!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
or just question why I'm doing it.

Hrm, I wonder what this implies. BTW, very often I"ll ask what the intention is, because it's either completely unclear, fundamentally important to the answer, or so far out in left field that it's likely just not going to work. Asking if something will work, after you've already gone to lengths to try it, is well... somewhat pointless.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have that Apple Adapter and the 22" version of your Apple Display. It SHOULD work. You will need a Mini Display Port to DVI adapter and you should be ready to go. I love my 22" version but it has a bit higher resolution. Still works like new.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have that Apple Adapter and the 22" version of your Apple Display. It SHOULD work. You will need a Mini Display Port to DVI adapter and you should be ready to go. I love my 22" version but it has a bit higher resolution. Still works like new.

WOW...the 22" version would be pretty awesome...with a still decent 1600 x 1024 resolution even compared with today's more "modern" LCD monitors.:)

But maybe still a bit dated due to the slow refresh rate of around 16ms...which of course is only a problem if someone does a bunch of action gaming or watches a lot of action videos.

I'm guessing (or hoping) you didn't buy this brand new...since in 2000 they originally cost $3999!!!:(

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Played MANY action games on it and see no ghosting at all and trust me, ghosting makes me very angry when playing a game. Halo is a very demanding game and I played that for ages on that display and it looked as good as my newer Viewsonic Wide Screen on that game if not maybe a bit better!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Played MANY action games on it and see no ghosting at all and trust me, ghosting makes me very angry when playing a game. Halo is a very demanding game and I played that for ages on that display and it looked as good as my newer Viewsonic Wide Screen on that game if not maybe a bit better!

I have the 17" and 19" version of the same monitor...and when you "grab" a window by the title bar...and move it around the screen...it's just terrible. But I would still like to get a 22" for the "collection!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonder why I see no ghosting in any game then or any movie? Don't know what to tell you. Radeon 9800 Pro 256 running it btw.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonder why I see no ghosting in any game then or any movie? Don't know what to tell you. Radeon 9800 Pro 256 running it btw.

The fastest computer I've had these monitors hooked up to is a 1.8ghz Powermac G5 with a Radeon 9650...which is way more computer & video card than these monitors were ever originally intended to be used with.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.