• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Not that this has to do with anything, but...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 32 GB WiFi, iPhone 16 GB, iMac
I can't sleep.

Please put me out of my misery. I'm sick and I need sleep.

Any remedies that don't involve narcotics?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Watch a video with Steve Balmer of Microsoft. That will make you want to sleep to get away from it! :D Grin

With me what works is put on movie while in bed that I really love and I always without fall asleep and miss all of it! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't drink. Sigh. And I've been reading Harry Potter...last night I got about 150 pages done. Holy crud, this is the worst...

I'm thinking melatonin is my next ditch effort.

I've been watching tons of movies lately, though.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm close to taking some horse tranquilizers, though...=)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I'm close to taking some horse tranquilizers, though...=)

I believe they'll send you daft.:D

'Bio-ears' ear plugs and induce in yourself a sensation of falling through space.
Works for me every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here's a different kind of suggestion. Can't sleep? Do something practical. Read "Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson." Mine just came in the mail yesterday, and haven't been able to put it down...finally stopped reading it a ~3am!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Read the service manual for the IBM model 3584 UltraScalable Tape Library. It always does the trick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't mean this as a joke, first of all. I had been very sick this past week, and am still getting over a flu w/fever etc. I had only been taking theraflu, which did very little for me as far as I'm concerned. I also could't sleep very well, and one night... I started channel surfing. Don't ask me why or how, but when I hit C-SPAN3.... those droning dull voices seemed to do the trick! If you can't get C-SPAN, then try finding NPR radio. I'm sure the hosts voices are just as, if not more... monotone and dull!

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't mean this as a joke, first of all. I had been very sick this past week, and am still getting over a flu w/fever etc. I had only been taking theraflu, which did very little for me as far as I'm concerned. I also could't sleep very well, and one night... I started channel surfing. Don't ask me why or how, but when I hit C-SPAN3.... those droning dull voices seemed to do the trick! If you can't get C-SPAN, then try finding NPR radio. I'm sure the hosts voices are just as, if not more... monotone and dull!

Doug

Glad you're feeling better.

But . . . Though I am certain it would work it makes me think of the Sci Fi novels I used to reading where "Sleep Learning" always seemed to play a big part.

Do REALLY want to expose your defenseless and highly sugestible "sleep deprived" mind to that drivel . . . ;)

Think of the potential consequences . . . you could end up a politician.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Warm Milk and honey .... always works.
Or hot coffee with Austrian Stroh Rhum ( 90% Alcohol ).

If that doesn't work, you don't need sleep.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Get some melatonin tablets from a pharmacy or supermarket. Try a "PM" version of Tylenol. If you wake up and then can't get back to sleep, get up. Sit in a dark room for 20-30 minutes until you're bored to tears. Get back in bed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Fresh tea, and broccoli 'n' cheese soup, or chicken noodle soup always makes me feel better when I'm sick. Feel better!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you're feeling better.

But . . . Though I am certain it would work it makes me think of the Sci Fi novels I used to reading where "Sleep Learning" always seemed to play a big part.

Do REALLY want to expose your defenseless and highly sugestible "sleep deprived" mind to that drivel . . . ;)

Think of the potential consequences . . . you could end up a politician.

Maybe I'd affect some decent change for once. =)

You guys are all amazing, by the way. I've been drinking lots of tea (have to keep hydrated while I'm coughing up infection) but I haven't tried the milk and honey yet. Melatonin was my next step--I've gone through all my Tylenol PM, and the doctors don't want me to take it if I can help it (plus I think it's losing its effectiveness on me.)

Watching something boring or droning or reading that is a definite possibility. I usually have a heating pad on and try to read. I'm also going to try using some "ocean sounds" to see if that'll induce sleep.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fresh tea, and broccoli 'n' cheese soup, or chicken noodle soup always makes me feel better when I'm sick. Feel better!

Unfortunately, I usually am not hungry with this. Chicken noodle soup might be a really great idea though, as I eventually have to eat something. Thank you!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Chronic non-sleeper here - and stress tends to make it a LOT worse. I take a benadryl at night - that helps. Go run 3 miles - that will help as well.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Yeah Im like this - one of the primary reasons i joined the forum in the first place.

Doing lots of muscle stretches before bed, and taking a shower beforehand usually help with my sleep.

If that fails, i just watch a movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Watching something boring or droning or reading that is a definite possibility. I usually have a heating pad on and try to read. I'm also going to try using some "ocean sounds" to see if that'll induce sleep.

No TV. (too much light)
No reading. (stimulates the brain)
Paint a wall. Then watch it dry.

Blackout shades in the bedroom.
Run an electric fan for "white noise".

No TV or computer in the bedroom.
The bedroom is for sleeping. (primarily) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I've been drinking lots of tea
It's none caffeinated tea right? ;)

I think the trick is to bore yourself and keep your mind from thinking. Either read a very boring book or listen to something boring on TV or radio. If you have the TV on you should turn down the brightness because any light will keep you up.

If you're really desperate then read all the books on tax laws. That should work instantly. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.