need help with password and user name

Reaction score
I won a clamshell ibook on ebay that had a bad cd-rom, i figured that i could get this and fix it and relist it fixed. well i got the new cd-rom in and i went to turn it on to see what it had installed and a screen popped up saying that i need a username and password, after banging my head on the table for 10 min. i emailed the person that sold it to me and asked him if he had it, he just replied and said "nope", so now i need to know if some of you mac genius' can help me out and get around this whole thing. if anyone can help i'd appreciate it very much.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
da2003pizimp said:
I won a clamshell ibook on ebay that had a bad cd-rom, i figured that i could get this and fix it and relist it fixed. well i got the new cd-rom in and i went to turn it on to see what it had installed and a screen popped up saying that i need a username and password, after banging my head on the table for 10 min. i emailed the person that sold it to me and asked him if he had it, he just replied and said "nope", so now i need to know if some of you mac genius' can help me out and get around this whole thing. if anyone can help i'd appreciate it very much.

Sounds like you might have bought stolen goods.

Did the seller say why he didn't have the username and password?

I had this happen a while ago when a "friend of a friend" brought around a PC labtop which he had just bought from someone in a pub and asked me if I could install windoze for him (windoze from a CD-R no less!), I powered it up and hacked around a little and found out who it had previously been owned by. Turned out it had belonged to a doctor in a local hospital, I suggested he handed it in to the police to find out if it was on a stolen property list anywhere. I don't know what he did with it, probably sold it on.

Amen-Moses

OP
D
Reaction score
well i'm now stuck with this thing any suggestions? is there a way to reset the harddrive? if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
da2003pizimp said:
well i'm now stuck with this thing any suggestions? is there a way to reset the harddrive? if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Have you tried a clean install?

Amen-Moses

OP
D
Reaction score
well i would if i could but i'm not sure how to. I have all the disks so that's what i wanted to do anyways, but when i turn it on the very first thing that pops up is the login using username crap. how can i reset the HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
da2003pizimp said:
well i would if i could but i'm not sure how to. I have all the disks so that's what i wanted to do anyways, but when i turn it on the very first thing that pops up is the login using username crap. how can i reset the HD?

Try this first:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Next hold down "C" or "R" whilst powering up (I can't remember which it is) and then putting in the install CD, I think it prompts you if it doesn't find a disk but I've only ever used G4 and G5 machines so it may be different on yours.

Hopefully then you can re-install a clean OS.

Amen-Moses

Another useful link (maybe):

http://face.centosprime.com/macosxw/?p=65

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm assuming you are using OSX 10.2 or higher here. If so, boot from the CD as described above. When you get to the first instal screen, start checking the menu at the top of the screen for an option to change the password or create accounts. Somewhere in there it will allow you reset the password for the account already on the machine. Reset it as you desire and reboot from the HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
i thought he said the cd rom drive didn't work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It was, he says he replaced it...

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah the cd rom was replaced with an orange clamshell that i tried to install a HD on and couldn't put it back together, lol, anyways if anyone needs any tangerine parts please let me know.

OP
D
Reaction score
i got the computer to do a clean install of OSX 10.0, thanks to everyone for there help, i am in debt to you guys. also if anyone wants to buy a clamshell indigo please let me know. or if you need parts. thnaks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.