PDA

View Full Version : Ways to install XP with external DVD drive

raaron1990
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi all,

I've been searching for a couple days now, but I haven't found a solution to my problem.

I've been trying to find a way to install Windows on my Macbook Pro, running Leapord 10.5, but I can't seem to find a way. My superdrive, of course, isn't working, and I don't have the means to replace it. I saw a number of threads that have the same issue, but none of them really come to a resolution.

Is there a way that I can install Windows on my Macbook, either using Bootcamp or not, and be able to still use OS X?

I've made a partition already, and when I try to install Windows, a blank screen appears and tells me that there's no bootable device, or something of the like. I'm not sure of what to do with at this point, but there are a couple of Windows-only programs that I need to run for a class I'm taking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

chscag
01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Sorry... there is no way you can install Windows from an external DVD drive as it doesn't get recognized until Windows boots and it loads a generic USB device driver. The same applies to a flash drive or any other USB device.

harryb2448
01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
It is an anti-piracy measure Microsoft employ. You could consider an external optical, however Bootcamp Guidelines which assume you have printed, state you must use an internal optical drive. Maybe it is time to consider a new optical drive for your MBP.

raaron1990
01-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks, guys.

I just ended up buying a new Mac Book Pro. I appreciate the help, though. =]

harryb2448
01-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Lucky dog.......................