• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP! Blank screen and no sound with quicktime

Reaction score
I posted this but I cant find it anywhere,

I need some help. I am trying to watch a movie through bittorrent. I am using Utorrent to play. But everytime I click on it quicktime opens and its just a black box. No sound or video.

This is really bothering me as I have been trying for hours. I have a Mac OS X 10.5 laptop.:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
What file type is the video you are trying to watch?

C

chas_m

Utorrent is not a player program, it's a bittorrent client. I'm not very knowledgable about BT having very limited use for such things, but my understanding is that the file must be completely downloaded before it can be played at all.

Second, as mgsfan18 points out, Bittorrent video files can be any format or set of codecs under the sun, and while QuickTime plays a number of them (especially if you download and install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian, both free), it doesn't handle everything. So knowing what format the file is using would be helpful.

Also, if this is regarding any kind of movie you are attempting to pirate illegally, this thread will be shut down and no further discussion allowed. Please check out this thread:

Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : Movies and Video

(fifth paragraph)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.