ISP Failure on MBP, Success on Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having difficulty troubleshooting a problem with my MacBook Pro's network connection.

Here are the network statuses:
Airport - Green
Airport Settings- Green
Network Settings- Green
ISP - Red
Internet- Red
Server- Red

When I try the network diagnostics, I get this page:
Network Diagnostics cannot fix the current networking problems.

Check with your Internet service provider or network administrator and make sure you are using the correct network settings.

I am using my university's internet, and they are vague in giving out who is the exact ISP.

What's really strange is that my Mac Mini's internet seems to work just fine, and it uses the same airport for its wifi service. Here are the specs for both machines:

MacBook Pro:
Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
Processor 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

TCP/IP
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
Configure IPv6: Automatically

DNS Servers:

Mac Mini:
Mac OS X Version 10.7.2
Processor- 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory- 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Same TCP/IP and DNS Server specs as the MBP

I've deduced that the airport's probably not the problem since the mini's not working, and the ISP's probably alright too for the same reason, so I'm not too sure what's acting up :/

OP
X
Reaction score
Also, I've just tried out plugging the ethernet cable directly. That doesn't work either. :< Is there a virus or something out there that blocks the Internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No but there is a DNS Changer Trojan. If the DNS is different from the Mini download the Tool and run it.

http://www.dnschanger.com/

OP
X
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that isn't it either. The DNS are identical. I just pinged my MacBook Pro's IP address and it sends back packets- makes me utterly befuddled... I'm hoping I'll learn something in my current networks class that will let me solve this strange problem.

Also, another update: I manually changed my IP address and made sure it was available. The new IP address also sends back ICMP packets when my mini pings it. Now when I run the diagnostics, it says my Internet Service Provider works now, but my Internet and Server doesn't! :< I'm really confused why the internet's being blocked when the computer's so obviously connected to the network!

OP
X
Reaction score
This issue is RESOLVED.

Apparently my school's proxy was getting in the way, but wasn't working properly and asking for authentication when it should have. I reset the proxy settings and also changed the DHCP settings back from manual to automatic and applied the settings- and the proxy finally kicked in again. (At the very least, from what I know I think it's a proxy... but I could be wrong).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.