Streaming Server App PowerMac Leopard

Reaction score
Looking for a streaming audio server app that will run on the G5 PPC with Leopard.

Ideas?

Thanks!

C

chas_m

I doubt Apple makes a PPC version of QuickTime Streaming Server (QTSS), but it couldn't hurt to look.

I was going to suggest RogueAmoeba's excellent stuff but they appear to have gone Intel only (as have most publishers).

Maybe if you explained a bit more about what you're actually trying to do (serve audio on the web? Move it around locally? Number of expected users?) we might have some other suggestions.

OP
S
Reaction score
@chas_m

Specifically I would like to steam my own audio (mp3) via the Web. as i'm sure you know, itunes will let me access media locally from the Mac on other PC's but not outside the LAN. as you mentioned many of the app vendors switched to Intel so in at a loss. I would also like to setup support for streaming tool my Android but that would be icing on the cake

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
C

chas_m

In addition to what Sylv provided, you can check out the console-only Shoutcast tool for 10.3 and higher if you're comfortable in the Terminal:

http://yp.shoutcast.com/downloads/sc1-9-8/sc_serv_1.9.8_MacOSX.tar.gz

You should be aware that your own outgoing bandwidth is unlikely to support more than 2-5 (at most) listeners at a time, so you may want to check out services that offer the ability to help you support a larger audience, such as Live365:

Live365 Internet Radio Network - Listen to Free Music, Online Radio

You may also want to consider another option: podcasting rather than broadcasting. Broadcasting gets expensive real quick, requires live service (and generally requires 24/7 operation if you want to seriously build an audience, lots of licensing (if you're using any music that's not your own) and tons of bandwidth.

Podcasting lets you create programs at your leisure and put them on iTunes whenever you want, for free (well you have to host the actual podcast files but you can do that on a wide variety of hosting sites, shouldn't cost much if anything). Worldwide audience, easy as pie using built-in tools like Garageband or whatever you like, can be video or audio or enhanced audio (audio with still images).

You still have to have a license to use copyrighted material that you don't own, but its still WAY cheaper than trying to broadcast live in most situations.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm not looking to server even small groups of people, just myself - so not worried about bandwidth. So far, I've installed the QuickTime streaming media server. Iv'e had some luck with it but it was all bad luck. I also installed the QuickTime broadcaster which it seems is supposed to run in conjunction with QTSMS. That being said, I configured the QT server and built a playlist.

So....start the server - ok
start the broadcaster - ok
start Playlist - Error "an error occured while starting or stopping you playlist"

I don't know if there is a specific order to start the items ie...Server then Broadcaster then playlist but so far it doesn't matter - the playlist won't start.

I'm close it seems but......
Any ideas?

In addition to what Sylv provided, you can check out the console-only Shoutcast tool for 10.3 and higher if you're comfortable in the Terminal:

http://yp.shoutcast.com/downloads/sc1-9-8/sc_serv_1.9.8_MacOSX.tar.gz

You should be aware that your own outgoing bandwidth is unlikely to support more than 2-5 (at most) listeners at a time, so you may want to check out services that offer the ability to help you support a larger audience, such as Live365:

Live365 Internet Radio Network - Listen to Free Music, Online Radio

You may also want to consider another option: podcasting rather than broadcasting. Broadcasting gets expensive real quick, requires live service (and generally requires 24/7 operation if you want to seriously build an audience, lots of licensing (if you're using any music that's not your own) and tons of bandwidth.

Podcasting lets you create programs at your leisure and put them on iTunes whenever you want, for free (well you have to host the actual podcast files but you can do that on a wide variety of hosting sites, shouldn't cost much if anything). Worldwide audience, easy as pie using built-in tools like Garageband or whatever you like, can be video or audio or enhanced audio (audio with still images).

You still have to have a license to use copyrighted material that you don't own, but its still WAY cheaper than trying to broadcast live in most situations.

C

chas_m

I don't have an answer for that, but if you're just serving this audio to yourself ... can you be a little more specific about what you're ultimately wanting to do? There are quite a few third-party tools that let your remote devices or other computers stream songs from a central device, maybe one of those would be a lot easier than trying to set up as a "broadcaster."

OP
S
Reaction score
I ultimately want this combination of applications to work in the capacity to which they are designed. The alternative is similar set of programs that perform the same function/s; which is streaming audio. It's an old OS and old apps so this may be a pointless endeavor.

I just learned about AirPlay. It's imbedded with iTunes and functions in a similar matter. The differences is that its wireless only and works more as a push. Devices that stream from the MAC have to be connected to the wireless network. I tested it last night - I installed an app on my Droid called AirBullble and used it grab audio playing from iTunes. The Droid has to be connected to the home wifi then you have to enable the connection from iTunes but after that - streaming. I would like to find and app like that but one that will work over the wired LAN.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.