Confused - EyeTV 200, USB or Miglia USB?

J

jcw

I am wanting to buy a TV adaptor for my Mac to enable me to record TV. I have the Sky FreeSat package. I believe compatible products are the EyeTV 200, the small EyeTV for DTT or the tiny Miglia USB. However, I'm new to all this and very confused! The EyeTV 200 has good reviews, but costs over twice the price of the other two products. I've read that the supplied aerials for the smaller products are rubbish and need to be attached to my Sat box. Could anyone be kind enough to advise me of the pros and cons? Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The biggest advantage to the EyeTV 200 is that it is a hardware encoder, so all of the processing of the video is done in the box. The EyeTV for DTT and Miglia USB don't encode on the unit, so it requires more processing power

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've tried both the miglia and the eyeTV for dtt (we have them on display at work) and the antenna seemed to get better reception of the eyetv...
The bundled remote was also more thought out IMO.

OP
J

jcw

Thanks, that's great. Do all of them work with Satellite? I've noticed the Miglia EvolutionTV too. I'm also confused as to the difference between an analogue (the EyeTV 200) and a digital tuner. Any more advice? Really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ah, no:
They both use DTT (or DVB-T as it's called here). Free-to-air digital terrestrial TV.
For satellite you need Elgato's 310

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
sorry to do this but why would you go for something like the EyeTV610 then as you dont get the unit you need to record digital sky with it?

that was the only product i saw in the range till i went to the Elgao website (think thats who makes them)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.