Upgrading 10.5.8 and also a itunes question.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new here and this is my first post - i am really sorry if these questions have been asked 101 times but i couldn't find the right answer so here we go...

Firstly,
I am wiping my 2008 white mac and starting again, but first i am transferring all my music to a external hard drive, once i have reinstalled the OSX i would like to run my music in itunes via the external hd rather than copy it all back onto my mac hd. I have changed the location under the settings to the external and also now consoldating the files and they are copying over to my external.

So basically my question is once ive reinstalled the osx how do i go about adding all my music into the newly d/w'ed itunes with the mac copying all the tracks to into the internal hd?
Hope that makes sence! :\

:Blushing:

Also, i am running 10.5.8 - is it worth me upgrading to snow leopard? ive read reviews where people say that its best to stick with 10.6.8 rather than upgrading as SL runs very slow on a 2008 white mac?

Thankyou so much for any advice :p

Dave.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As far as your iTunes/music question goes..once you've moved the files to the external source and your iTunes library is updated to look for it there, make sure you can play all of your music with the External HD.

Then make a copy of your iTunes folder which contains the library and go about the re-installation and then return the iTunes folder to get your library back which should point to the external drive and you should be back in business.

What are the specs on your 2008 Mac? If you can upgrade it to the highest options, SL might work well enough..but I don't have one so I don't know..

OP
P
Reaction score
Thankyou so much for the quick reply!

OK so i am now consolidating the tracks which is copying them to the external. So once i have reinstalled a osx and reinstall itunes how do i add my library to itunes but stop it from copying the files over?

my 2008 mac is:

Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
HD: 160GB

C

chas_m

It would definitely be worth it to jump up to Snow Leopard. You could even go on to Lion if you wish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.