Where has it gone!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
I just received my 1st Mac about 3days ago. It’s a new PowerBook. Before getting a Mac I have only really used and owned PC's so I don’t really know all that much about what’s going on. I know this might sound like a stupid question but when you install something where does it get filled? I installed MSN Messenger and I can't find the folder that contains it on my hard drive anywhere! When I run it I also get a file on the desktop that looks like some sort of a drive, which has a hole in the front of it. What is this?

I’m also trying to run Starcraft, which is a really old game. When I pop in the CD and try to install it it says that I have "no classic system folder" and that I have to install OS 9. What’s all this about and how do I go about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
The virtual drive icon you see on your desktop means that the program is mounted, and also not installed. To install a program, you double click it and you will see the virtual drive icon appear.

Click on that, and then drag and drop the visible program that appears in the window to your applications folder.

Once it has transfered, drag the virtual drive icon to your recycle bin to eject it or eject it from finder menu at the left hand side. The program is now installed and can be run by clicking on it from your applications folder. If you use it regularily, drag it to your dock from the applications folder (although a copy will remain in your applications folder too.)

Sometimes, you may get a program that uses an installer l(like windows apps do). Not sure if messenger uses and installer, but to run an installer, click on the virtual drive and double click the installer to install it. It usually installs to your applications folder. Once installed, drag the virtual drive to the recycle bin or eject it from finder menu at the left hand side.

To run Starcraft, you will need to put your OSX restore disk in and click on "install applications (and support?)" - I think that is what it is called (not install OSX), and it should install OS9 which the older game needs to run.

Once installed, when you run your game, your computer will go to OS9 mode with OSX in the background.

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Is it possible that a program can only be run mounted and not installed? When I click on the MSN messenger virtual drive it opens up but theres no option to install it. Is this normal? I also have a file called Messenger500.dmg whats that? (Sorry I really don't know much, this is all new to me) Whats the difference between mounting a program and installing it? Does OSX have a program registar like Windows does?

I have no idea what is gonig on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
When you open MSN messenger I presume you click on the icon to launch it?

Well, that icon is the actual program. You drag and drop that icon type file into your applications folder.

Then you can bin the virtual drive. Everytime you want to launch MSN messenger, you then either click on it from applications, or drag it to your dock and it will stay there permanently for you to launch it from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.