Share Your Aperture 3 Workflow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Mine is moderately organized but I've been thinking more about it lately and Im not sure if this is the set up I want or not.
I know lots of people classify everything by shoot/data/day/month/year. Do you name the shoot something specific and then the day/month/year?

All in a single library or multiple for every shoot you do?

Here is mine as best I can explain:
Aperture3>
Library>(FOLDER)
Personal>(basically a sub folder inside library folder)
Animals>(project) lots of sub folders/albums, cats/dogs, etc
Family>(project) more subfolders/albums

and it keeps going on with different categories, and such.

Im thinking about starting over, with each time I take pictures, and then have a name for that and then by date/month/year

Wanted to share mine and see how everyone else stays organized! I have a little bit of OCD, so I really like to keep on top of it :)

Reaction score
I only take a few photos a week using my iPhone or less often the Nikon DSLR, very rarely the iPad.

I think my approach is similar.

Connect device to iMac.
In Aperture, import the photos to a project called "For sorting'". Or drag them them there from PhotoStream.
Batch rename them in groups or individually to something descriptive.
Drag them to a final storage project. I set up a folder structure in my Aperture library like "Family", "Pets", "Hobby", etc., then final storage projects within those folders.
Do post processing then. Sometimes I process on the iPhone first when I take them on that device, but not often.

For syncing to iPhone and iPad, I created a series of albums in a folder called iDevice and named them named House, Family, etc. All I to do is drag a modified version of a photo I want on my iPad from the final storage project into one of those albums. The master is untouched in Aperture's library, and a version stays in the final storage project I first put it in. Then in iTunes I click on the Photos tab for each iDevice (iPad and iPhone in my case) and limit photo syncs to those albums. iTunes resizes the photos to fit the iDevice automatically when I sync the iDevice to my iMac. Very slick. The photos are stored in those same albums on each iDevice.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My workflow (being honest):
1) Import into Folder named InBox (with appropriate project name)
2) Procrastinate and never get around to sorting and reviewing
3) Promise myself I will do better in future

;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
My workflow (being honest):
1) Import into Folder named InBox (with appropriate project name)
2) Procrastinate and never get around to sorting and reviewing
3) Promise myself I will do better in future

;)

Haha, what a great workflow!

I find it really nice to be organized ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.