MEPEG-4 Upload

Reaction score
Okay wasn't sure to put this here or in the movie section, but because ultimately it's a video podcast I went here.

Okay so here is the deal. I am starting to get into podcasts and am also doing video podcast.

I am using iMovie and connecting a Sony HD Camera via firewire so the video captured is from the external camera. Everything is working awesome and I export the video from iMovie as an MPEG-4.
I need to upload the file to my hosting CPanel and link directly to it on my blog for this video to fall into my RSS Feed for Podcasts. I log into my CPanel and select the file for upload. It shows that it's an MPEG-4 but after it uploads I see it in CPanel and it's no longer an MPEG-4, but it's a Text file.

So I figured maybe I should try via Filezilla, and this does the same thing. If I try and put the file onto an external hard drive to try and play it on my PC, it also changes to a Text file.

I click on the file on my Mac and "Get info" it says it's an MPEG-4.

Why is this file changing to a Text file when I try to do anything with it? More importantly, I really just want to get it uploaded so I can add it to my Podcasts.

Thanks for any help.

Donald

OP
E
Reaction score
WOW! What luck

Okay so I have been playing with this monster for two days now and I have it figured out just now.

I can't beleive how easy this really was, so here it is for anyone else who need it.

I opened Garage band and started a Podcast, dragged the MPEG-4 into the "Art Track" and then exported the podcast. I uploaded the podcast to my host and there it is!

Mind you the file is also much smaller too.

God I love Mac, it really is so easy to do things, I work with both, and sometimes, I need to remember that Mac is a different game all around.

i end up making things harder than they really are.

Well thanks anyhow :eek:)

C

chas_m

Thanks very much for posting a follow-up with the answer. I'm sure that will help someone else in the future

(I don't do video podcasts but was about to make that very suggestion of using GB!)

OP
E
Reaction score
I figured as ong as I needed help, the answer could be useful to someone with the same problem.

I use both Mac and PC, and I do photography and video, plus do voice work too, and I always use Mac for that stuff, I can't even put the HD footage on my PC laptop, but the little macbook pro just has no problem with HD footage.

I am new to doing video for podcasts. Yes I could have uploaded the video to Youtube or to a video hosting service I use, and then embed the code into the blog post and those who subscribe to the Blog RSS would have seen it, but that's NOT the same.
I use a plugin on my Blog for podcasts that lets me have the player hosted right on my blog (it's called blubrry). This also lets me have an RSS for just Podcasts as well as keeps my podcasts in order, and for some reason I just don't know why the MPEG-4 was changing to a Text.

It's all good though because garage band makes it a REAL podcast, and thus I can keep things nice and neat.

I look forward to looking over this forum, and maybe i can be of help to someone.

Regards,
"D"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.