• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MacBook or iPad ?!

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm a newbie to Macs and this forum.

If I was looking to get get a Mac, what should I get.
MacBook or and iPad?

I appreciate some differences but don't know what I cannot do with an iPad, that you can do, on a MacBook?

So, your opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Macbook all the way. Nice as the iPad is, it's not a computer in any real sense.

OP
Rik.
Reaction score
So, I assume that you cannot load programmes like Fusion 4 to be able to run Windows programmes?
There's not DVD Drive on an iPad, so, I assume that you cannot do all the things that you can, with a MacBook?

How do you load various Mac programmes like Office for Mac, or can you not?

That's the sorts of questions I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Basically the iPad will let you do basic (and by that I mean it has limits when it comes to some things) browsing of the web, and run iPod style apps.
Now, granted the apps are fantastic, and useful, and no doubt that there are equivalents apps for those programs you mention, that will do a very good job, but you really can't do probably a quarter of the things that you could with a Macbook.
I would consider the iPad to be a luxury item, that you would buy as a secondary item after buying a main Mac computer.
One thing to consider, unless you are going to purchase all of your music via download to the iPad, you will need a main Mac/Pc to sync to and load things from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro PowerBook G4 ipod classic imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
My self i would have to go for the MacBook to me a lot more versatile than a ipad, but thats just me

OP
Rik.
Reaction score
Any advice is helpful.

From what I gather, the iPad is a Luxury item (as the Mac Forum members have told me) and if you want to do anything serious, the it's the MacBook.

From what I can see, it's surprising that things like SD Card and USB Ports are missing.

Surely this would add tremendous power to the iPad.

Or is it me that doesn't understand the Mac world?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
The iPad is kinda a content consumption device. Watching movies, browsing the web, checking email, playing with Apps. It's perfect for people like my parents, who had a laptop for each of them to check email, watch films on flights, and play games. The iPad does it all for a little lower cost, a lot less weight to carry, and the 3G connectivity is nice to have.

The MacBook is going to be for all of the above things but more. The ability to create content (detailed multi page papers, web pages, etc) with a MacBook is going to be it's selling point.

I have one of each. MacBook Air for work, iPad for play. Both are great devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.