PDA

View Full Version : splitting up macbook forum...

MacLicious
01-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I am not sure if this would interest anyone else, but I personally would like to see a separate sub forum for MacBook Air's as they are not as popular as the MacBook Pros and when I peruse the MacBook sub forum, it seems most post are about the MacBook Pro's.
Or, maybe what I am proposing is a lot of work for the mods. If so, I'm sorry, but I would find it helpful.

Thanks,
Cathy

cwa107
01-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Thanks for your feedback, Cathy.

One of the things that we try to think about when we consider the structure of the forums is whether it's streamlined enough. If the subjects are too granular, it can get overwhelming for those members that are trying to find the right place to post. For that reason, we do like to keep the topic general enough that the topics easy to choose from.

Now, we do have the ability to add thread "prefixes" - in other words, when someone posts a new thread, they can choose from a drop down list of model types (MacBook, Air, Pro, etc) and they will be displayed in the thread list with their various model types. What do you (and others) think about implementing something like that?

Kevriano
01-13-2012, 02:36 AM
I like the drop down menu idea, that would work very well indeed, and maybe could be spread to other sections if there is a need.

chscag
01-13-2012, 02:53 AM
I'm not sure it's a good idea. We have new users complaining all the time about not knowing how to post a question. In other words, they can't find the "new thread" button.

Adding complexity to the forum selection by using drop down menus may actually make it more difficult for the new user.

The drop down menus would also have to include those Mac notebooks that are not in popular usage but ones which we get questions on all the time. Powerbooks, iBooks, etc.

MacLicious
01-13-2012, 08:44 PM
I like the idea of the dropdown menu's when posting. If a user can't navigate to that, so be it. But I think most people on this forum would be capable of that. I do not consider myself knowledgeable in any way compared to the likes of all you who have posted above me and also in general compared to most frequent posters on this forum. So I definitely think most would be able to do this. Just my 2cents.