Another 5.1 surround question

Reaction score
I've seen several users post questions regarding getting 5.1 surround on Macs. I've read every question I could find to see if it contained an answer that would help me, but I'm still at a loss. If you think that my questions have been asked and answered, please feel free to steer me to the post, and I do apologize if that is the case.

My gf and I each have a computer that we'd like to be able to use in conjunction with my home theater to watch 5.1 content. Mine is a MacBook Pro from mid 2010 (minidisplayport does not support audio out, so I use the mini-optical out); hers is a Macbook Air circa 2011 (minidisplayport DOES support audio out). Both of us have Perian installed.

My problem: try as I might, I cannot get my MBP to pass bitstream or PCM 5.1 content through the optical out. It only passes 2 channel sound, which my receiver can then process to be artificial 5.1. I've tried to use both Quicktime and VLC to play avi files that contain a 5.1 audio track (verified by inspector and/or "get info", and noting that the audio track says AC3 and lists 5 channels; also verified by loading it onto a PS3, which plays it in true Dolby Digital). I am 100% positive that the content is 5.1 . I also have verified that my receiver (a Denon 3808ci) is configured to accept video through an HDMI input and audio through an optical input. And I've tried several settings on both Perian and Apple Midi Setup to include using the Perian AC3 passthrough "hack" (Record and Reverie » Blog Archive » The Correct Way to Enable AC3 Passthrough with Quicktime). I am very confident that the problem is in how the MBP is handling the audio track of the movie, and not the source AVI files or the receiver configuration.

Has anyone successfully used Perian with or without the "hack" to pass 5.1, and if so, can you tell me how you configured Perian and/or Apple Midi Setup? Is tere anything I can do from inside Quicktime or VLC to enable 5.1 output (either as a passthrough or decoded on the Mac and sent as PCM)?

GF's problem: We can get her computer to output PCM 5.1 audio through the minidisplayport when watching movies with Quicktime by configuring Perian as follows. Audio Options -> Audio Outpout -> Multi-Channel output. (The "hack" mentioned above is not used.) Apple Midi Setup is set to 8ch 24 bit, with 48 khz sampling. Unfortunately the channels are mixed up! Dialogue that should come out of the center channel instead comes out of the rear left channel. I've read that this can be a problem because Apple assigns 5.1 channels in a different order than the rest of the industry, and that when watching movies with Quicktime this can happen. Does anyone know how to reorder the channels, possibly using iMovie, Front Row, or Garage Band?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.