Windows 7 not finding RAM

Reaction score
Hey,

I have installed Windows 7 (32-bit) via bootcamp on my Mac Pro 2008. I have installed 20 Gb of RAM but it says just under 2 Gb is usable.

I have 2 processors of 4 cores each. 2x2Gb RAM and 4x4Gb RAM.

I first noticed this issue when installing "Lightworks", a video editing program. This application is why i've installed Windows 7, so i am running a fairly clean system.

I've not had much experience with hardware and software specifics, i come from a mainly a mac background. However, i am a fledgling editor - and have some experience with windows (being that i know where to find the "administrative tools" on XP and 7 - impressive huh :p ).

I've read about the Max Memory for XP and thought that this did not exsist for 7?

Could there be issues in registering the 2 processors (as dangerous as they are, i'm assuming that the RAM is Processor specific)? i've checked the device Manager and it seems to be registering both (but i am new to the more technical side of computing).

Is there anything esle i should be aware of?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You're using the 32-bit edition of Windows 7. Theoretically, a 32-bit OS should be able to utilize up to 4GB of RAM, but in reality, some of that memory map is allocated to other devices like your graphics card(s), so it takes away from the overall available system memory.

The only fix would be to upgrade to the 64-bit editions of Windows 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.