PDA

View Full Version : Why is font color gray?

ceejay
01-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Is there a particular reason why the font in these forums is gray instead or black? It makes the text faint and harder to read.

vansmith
01-08-2012, 05:19 PM
I can't speak to the design of the website but you can set your browser to override the default colours set by web designers. Which browser are you using?

ceejay
01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Safari or Firefox.

But I'd rather not have to make a global setting change to accommodate one website's design choice. Am I the only one that thinks gray is a poor choice for a font color?

RavingMac
01-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Safari or Firefox.

But I'd rather not have to make a global setting change to accommodate one website's design choice. Am I the only one that thinks gray is a poor choice for a font color?

Probably . . . ;)

At least you are the first to complain. FWIW the font looks fine on my monitors and iPad. Maybe you need to boost contrast or adjust brightness on your monitor?

cwa107
01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Is there a particular reason why the font in these forums is gray instead or black? It makes the text faint and harder to read.

We're working on some changes to the overall design of the forum and I think you'll be pleased with the result.

ceejay
01-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Great! The gray is fairly legible, but black will be better. It's not that I actually have a hard time reading the forums, but I think the change will help.

Wow, talk about responsive! ;D

Thanks!

harryb2448
01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Leave it be!

RavingMac
01-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Leave it be!

Have to agree with Harry in this. Don't know if it is because I'm old and getting averse to change, or what. But, I happen to like the way the font looks and find it soothing on the eyes.

cwa107
01-08-2012, 06:53 PM
There are indeed some changes in the works. I can't give much detail, but I think you'll all be pleased.

ceejay
01-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I think reasonable people can disagree about something like this.

It would be nice as a user configurable option.

PS, which is easier to read? I just noticed that you can change the color of your own posts.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

RavingMac
01-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Both equally easy once your eyes shift contrast. Again, I personally find the gray on light gray easier on the eyes.

CrimsonRequiem
01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Grey. Design and studies have been done on these stuff. :D

osxx
01-08-2012, 09:31 PM
A slightly darker gray would be nice.

dtravis7
01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Well, we could make the font Pink with a Yellow background! I bet many more would complain! :D

My eyes over the last few years have changed a bit. I can read the Gray but a bit darker would help me, but I get around it with the computer.

cwa107
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Personally, I like light text on a black background for a backlit display. Paper and E-Ink is a different story.

You simply can't please all of the people all of the time, so you have to aim for some of the people most of the time ;)

dtravis7
01-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Personally, I like light text on a black background for a backlit display. Paper and E-Ink is a different story.

You simply can't please all of the people all of the time, so you have to aim for some of the people most of the time ;)

VERY true. On my Atari ST I used to use White text on a Black background for ASCII BBS systems. Was very easy on my eyes. I am fine with it now but the new look will be interesting for sure.

On the Amiga when I first got it I was using JR Comm and remember some strange color combos that had when calling BBSs.

cwa107
01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
VERY true. On my Atari ST I used to use White text on a Black background for ASCII BBS systems. Was very easy on my eyes. I am fine with it now but the new look will be interesting for sure.

On the Amiga when I first got it I was using JR Comm and remember some strange color combos that had when calling BBSs.

Brings back memories. I believe the guy that wrote JR Comm upgraded it later and renamed the program "Terminus" or something to that effect. I spent many hours using that program and remember it fondly.

On another Mac-related note - we ought to put together a "Show us your Terminal.app" thread!

I have a semi-transparent black background with a green font color. Reminds me of the old WYSE dumb terminals we used to have at work.... pretty sweet.

dtravis7
01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I have not set the colors in Lion yet but in SL and Leopard Black with White text like the old days.

I remember Terminus. Used it for sure.

vansmith
01-08-2012, 10:04 PM
A fix:

Safari
1. Open up TextEdit > Format > Make Plain Text.
2. Paste the following into the TextEdit window and save it as whatever you want with the .css extension:
/* http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5110249/wildcard-in-css */
div[id*='post_message_'] {
color:black;
}
3. Go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Style Sheet > choose the css file you just saved.
4. Restart Safari and enjoy black text in the posts.

Firefox
1. Go to Home Directory > Library > Application Support > Firefox > Profiles > [the folder here - it differs from profile to profile but should look like a bunch of random characters with .default at the end].
2. If it doesn't exist, create a folder called chrome.
3. Copy that css file you created for Safari to this chrome folder and call it userContent.css.
4. Restart Firefox and enjoy.

I tested both of those and they should work if you follow the instructions.

cwa107
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Ugh... here you go again, Vansmith. Where's the nice GUI front-end with the toggle, preferably in the guise of a Safari extension?

Your Jedi powers are getting weaker, old man!

CrimsonRequiem
01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Can we set it up so that people can customize their own themes or something?

dtravis7
01-08-2012, 10:13 PM
CWA, want to start that Terminal thread? I have my terminal colors pic.

I started one.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/262990-show-us-your-osx-terminal.html#post1352412

Van take note! TERMINAL!!! :D

vansmith
01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Ugh... here you go again, Vansmith. Where's the nice GUI front-end with the toggle, preferably in the guise of a Safari extension?

Your Jedi powers are getting weaker, old man!Challenge accepted?

CWA, want to start that Terminal thread? I have my terminal colors pic.Ooooh, are we posting custom bash profiles now? Yay! :P

dtravis7
01-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Challenge accepted?

Ooooh, are we posting custom bash profiles now? Yay! :P

Started one. URL in my other post/

cwa107
01-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Challenge accepted?

Man, I really know how to push your buttons, don't I? ;D

Ooooh, are we posting custom bash profiles now? Yay! :P

One word: Nerdvana :D

vansmith
01-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Man, I really know how to push your buttons, don't I? ;D

One word: Nerdvana :DYou've succeeded - here's (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger.safariextz) a Safari extension that changes the colour of the post font to black. All you have to do is install it. Ugh, I can be so easily persuaded to take on these challenges. Haha. :P

cwa107
01-08-2012, 10:50 PM
You've succeeded - here's (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger.safariextz) a Safari extension that changes the colour of the post font to black. All you have to do is install it. Ugh, I can be so easily persuaded to take on these challenges. Haha. :P

OMG, that is awesome!

There ya go, ceejay - all you have to do is persuade Van. Call his Jedi powers into question!

dtravis7
01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Van, I am BEYOND impressed!!! Thank you!

Installed it. WOW. Come to Modesto so I can buy you dinner! :D

vansmith
01-08-2012, 11:05 PM
OMG, that is awesome!

There ya go, ceejay - all you have to do is persuade Van. Call his Jedi powers into question!It does seem to work well. I'll have to let my supervisor know about this. ;)

Van, I am BEYOND impressed!!! Thank you!

Installed it. WOW. Come to Modesto so I can buy you dinner! :DFree dinner? This might have been worth it!

chscag
01-09-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm likewise impressed! Great job Van! :D

vansmith
01-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks! I do like my little challenges. I'll see what I can do to refine this a little more when I get some free time tonight.

ceejay
01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
You've succeeded - here's (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger.safariextz) a Safari extension that changes the colour of the post font to black. All you have to do is install it. Ugh, I can be so easily persuaded to take on these challenges. Haha. :P

"Color" me impressed, Van!

Holy cow, that's awesome! You are a magician. Or a witch. I am not sure.

Thanks!

ceejay
01-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks! I do like my little challenges. I'll see what I can do to refine this a little more when I get some free time tonight.

What's there to refine? User selectable colors?

vansmith
01-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Quotes are still grey along with a few other things. I'll fool around to see if I can get all lighter colour text dark.

Glad you enjoy it!

Holy cow, that's awesome! You are a magician. Or a witch. I am not sure.I think I'm going to go with Jedi as proposed earlier. ;)

Ghost Rider
01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
When I first came onto this site I was like what's up with this gray color? Now I agree it is a lot easier on the eyes and my guess is that the new updates to this site will allow you to change the font color. I will elect to keep it gray.

toMACsh
01-10-2012, 09:07 PM
You've succeeded - here's (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger.safariextz) a Safari extension that changes the colour of the post font to black.

I like it! I think the grey text causes me some eye strain. I tried making my posts black, but, well, never mind.

MacDude121
01-11-2012, 02:44 AM
I really think I'd prefer black. Grey is okay but doesn't have that sharp contrast that I think would make it easier on the eyes.

vansmith
01-12-2012, 12:23 AM
As promised, I've updated the extension to make more text black without going overboard. Also, as an added bonus (because I'm such a nice guy :P), I've made Chrome and Opera versions. Sorry Firefox users - my dislike for your browser and its complicated extension development system has prevented me from porting it over to the Mozilla platform.

Safari version (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger/Safari-MFFontColourChanger1.0.safariextz), Chrome version (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger/Chrome-MFFontColourChanger1.0.crx), Opera version (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384321/MFFontColourChanger/Opera-MFFontColourChanger1.0.oex).

Updates since last time: quotes, codeblocks and smaller text around the forums (including user info on the left) are now black. If you grow tired of the change, you can disable each through their respective extension management pages/panes. You'll notice that links are still grey - it would seem that changing those requires changing all links and changing all links to black looks terrible in some spots. I'm working on this.

Feedback is welcome and appreciated. The extensions look good here but we all know how software may work for one person and not for another. ;)

dtravis7
01-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Looks even better. Thank you for the Chrome and Opera version also.

JimboMac
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Leave it be!

Agreed!

vansmith
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Looks even better. Thank you for the Chrome and Opera version also.Thanks! It was really easy to make the other extensions since the code was the same and I figured I might as well make them for other browsers since we all use different ones.

Agreed!No one's forcing you to use my extensions. ;)

dtravis7
01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
No one's forcing you to use my extensions. ;)

Does he mean the forums color or your extension? Your extension ROX! :D

vansmith
01-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks! I'll see if I can fix the link colours tonight. :)

DrEwTiMe42o
01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I like the grey color, i would actually really like the exact scheme used where you type to post. That's much easier on the eyes then the white/grey or white/black contrast. And the black and white contrast is actually bad for the eyes. Many articles say that if you spend long hours on a computer to change the background to something greyish so that your eyes have an easier time with the screen. Just what i read :)

Slydude
01-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks! I'll see if I can fix the link colours tonight. :)

Major props for the work so far. Wish I had checked the thread when it first started.

BTW If your alchemist/Jedi talents extend to turning common objects into gold, I'll support your bid for world domination. As long as I get a cut of the proceeds of course.

vansmith
01-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks! More importantly, I appreciate the bid for world ruler (a benevolent dictatorship of course). ;)

Slydude
01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
I just noticed this morning that the current color scheme, with the extension on, makes urls stand out a bit more than they do without the extension.

cwa107
01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
You know what would be cool? If the extension had a 'color wheel', where you could choose any color that suited your fancy.

C'mon Van... do I need to bring up the Jedi thing again?

vansmith
01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
I just noticed this morning that the current color scheme, with the extension on, makes urls stand out a bit more than they do without the extension.I don't know how that's possible since I don't manipulate links but good to know! Haha.

Slydude
01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
You'll notice that links are still grey - it would seem that changing those requires changing all links and changing all links to black looks terrible in some spots. I'm working on this.

I think this is the reason the links are standing out more now. With the previous setup the grey in the post text and grey in the links was the same or almost the same.

BTW Does all this feedback would be appreciated and benevolent dictatorship mean wewon't be ruling with an iron fist?

vansmith
01-14-2012, 04:21 PM
You know what would be cool? If the extension had a 'color wheel', where you could choose any color that suited your fancy.

C'mon Van... do I need to bring up the Jedi thing again?No, the prospect of being reminded is enough to get me to try it. ;)

I think this is the reason the links are standing out more now. With the previous setup the grey in the post text and grey in the links was the same or almost the same.

BTW Does all this feedback would be appreciated and benevolent dictatorship mean wewon't be ruling with an iron fist?Benevolent for some, iron fist for others. :P

Ghost Rider
01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the extension to make everyone happy. Life is good with choices and my choice is to stick with the gray color. It is easy on my old Mr Magoo eyes :)

http://dearestscooter.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/mr_magoo-29549.jpg

dtravis7
01-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Good one GR! I forgot all about good old Mister Magoo! My eyes are getting like that I fear. Still with me, Black works better. Everyones eyes are different.

Love that Pic!

RavingMac
01-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Benevolent for some, iron fist for others. :P

With just enough randomness thrown in to keep everyone guessing. ;)

vansmith
01-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Of course, no one can know what side they're on. That's no fun.

I fooled around with adding color selection capabilities last night. I hit one roadblock which, if fixable given my skills, should just about finish it.

Lifeisabeach
01-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Both equally easy once your eyes shift contrast. Again, I personally find the gray on light gray easier on the eyes.

I have to agree with this. I would have thought the black text would be easier to read, but on comparing the two, I think the black text is too highly contrasted against the white. A slightly denser shade of gray MIGHT be a little better, but I'm against full-on black now.