Live Recording - Audio Interface???

Reaction score
Hi

I've just purchased Yamahas P155 digital piano and would like to record the actual piano sounds from the P155 in real audio in to GaragBand. Do i need to go from Left to Right LINE OUT from the P155 in to Left to Right Line In of an Audio Interface to make the recording? I'm working on a Macbook 5.1 OS-X Leopard 10.5 and there is no 1/4 inch jack audio input on the Mac only a mini jack.

Do i need an Audio Interface?

Thanks.

Reaction score
You could probably get by with an adapter to plug your cable from the piano into your MB but it's not going to sound as good as if you did have a USB or firewire audio interface. I'm not familiar with the mini audio in on your MB but unless it's is stereo in you would want to just use one cable coming from the mono out on your keyboard, but if the mini in on your MB is stereo then you could run 2 cables meaning both left and right into the MB with the appropriate adapter.

But if you can afford it I strongly suggest an audio interface. You can get inexpensive USB interfaces from 20.00 bucks and ll the way up to very elaborate and expensive. If you have any more questions just let me know and I'll help as much as I can. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

stratguy

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Hi

I've just purchased Yamahas P155 digital piano and would like to record the actual piano sounds from the P155 in real audio in to GaragBand. Do i need to go from Left to Right LINE OUT from the P155 in to Left to Right Line In of an Audio Interface to make the recording? I'm working on a Macbook 5.1 OS-X Leopard 10.5 and there is no 1/4 inch jack audio input on the Mac only a mini jack.

Do i need an Audio Interface?

Thanks.

To get the best sound out of your piano, an interface would be the way to go, with some nice Mics.

But thats expensive, and you could get the same result with a cable like this 2x 1/4" jack to stereo minijack (1/8") adapter:

3.5mm-stereo-mini-jack-to-2-x-6.35mm-1-4-mono-jack-lead-cable-3m-364-p.jpg

(Thats presuming your P155 has two mono 1/4" outputs for left and right.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.