Bootcamp isn't utilizing full partition space available.

Reaction score
Anyone want to try to help me make sense of this?
The C drive is said to have a size of 75 GB which is correct and what I partitioned it for, however judging from what the C:/ drive for bootcamp is telling me, I only have 8GB available for use and only 4GB free. Anyone know whats going on here? How do I get bootcamp to utilize the full 80GB? I have barely anything at all installed on Windows and I somehow only have 4GB free.
partition.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears you may have unformatted space on the C drive. It's hard to tell from the system information but that's what it looks like.

Open Disk Manager from within Windows and take a look at what it shows. Disk Manager will show both formatted and unformatted space. I don't know what else it could be? It's not a partition error or the entire partition would be munged and not show up as 75 GB.

OP
B
Reaction score
Disk manager shows: Bootcamp (C:), Partition, Basic, NTFS, Healthy (Boot), 70.99 GB Capacity, 4.74 GB Free Space, 6% free.
Theres only 129 MB unallocated. This is a very new fresh reinstall of windows xp and there is very little installed on it so I can't see how I would only have 6% free.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something's definitely wrong. Unless you have one real large swap file using up all that space, I don't understand what could be eating it up.

Open up a command prompt (from RUN, cmd.exe) and type in chkdsk /f. The system will tell you that it will run check disk on the next boot. Reboot Windows and let check disk run. Let's see what it says. I have a feeling that you may have to kill that partition from the Boot Camp assistant and start over.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did the chkdsk and upon reboot I checked the properties of my c drive and the free space jumped up to 70GB. So it appears that fixed it. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al right! Good old check disk worked. I'll bet the partition free space counter set was wrong. That's one of the things that it checks along with matching free space.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed as I was thinking it might take a reinstall which can be a royal pain. Have fun and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.