Need Help Bad (Switching Screwup)

Reaction score
Well, as the title says I'm in a big bind. I was messing around with my Boot Camp (Windows 7) partition trying to increase it's storage space. I managed to add more in VMware Fusion, but it wasn't reflected because it was unallocated space. I made it into a partition and tried setting it as the active partition after backing it up into the drive (hopefully transferring my files over).

Instead I've got a big problem now. After restarting the computer won't boot into the Windows partition, and above that my original Macintosh drive has disappeared from the drive selection.

My main priority is to get the Mac drive back, if possible. I'm trying right now to see if I can change the active partition back, but please if someone else knows how as well please respond asap. I'm in my senior year of college and I can't afford to have all my files gone.

:\

OP
N
Reaction score
Now a worse realization might have appeared. I did an image restore on the bootcamp partition, and judging from the size of the disk I did the restore on, I'm fearing I might have saved over my Macintosh HD with the extra space drive.

In case I cannot figure out how to get it back does anyone recommend a good recovery tool?

Reaction score
You may not be able to recover the Mac portion of your hard drive and may have to reinstall. In the future, to resize a Boot Camp partition you either need to delete the partition and recreate it at a different size, or to do it dynamically you need third party software, such as Camptune by Paragon. You cannot do it dynamically through Boot Camp or the disk software Apple provides. Working through Fusion won't do anything because that's just a file on the Mac portion of your hard drive.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.