Newbie community?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, i5, 8gb 13"
I know I have been hanging out in the Switcher's area a lot, but maybe a Newbie community would be really good for people who really don't know anything about a Mac. For instances, topics could be:

1. how can I upgrade the memory in my Macbook Pro?
2. What programs should we NEVER install because they will screw things up?
3. What is everyone's preferences for word processing/spreadsheets. Does everyone use MS Office for Mac?
4. How should I be treating my mac? Is it okay to leave the power on all the time if the power supply is always plugged in and I rarely work off the battery?
5. At what points should i at least put it in hibernate mode verus shutting it off? If I use my computer every night, but it needs to sleep all day, what mode should it go in?

IMHO, a Newbie community might be a nice place for some of these questions.

Thanks!
Jen

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Hi Jen - Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. In fact, the Switcher's hangout is designed to do exactly what you've described - provide a place for folks who are new to the Mac OS to ask questions and find answers. In fact - I can tell you that I've seen threads addressing each question you've posted above - and all relatively recently. I think if you try using the search function you'll see what I mean. The Switcher's hangout is there specifically for the newcomers or newbies. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, we have a low tolerance for "flaming" in that forum (i.e. ridiculing another member for asking what some might consider to be a silly or frequently asked question). So, please feel comfortable discussing any questions you might have there. We were all new once!

In fact, if you dig deep enough, you can find my first post in that very same forum (from before I even bought my first Mac).

EDIT: Found it... here's one if you want to laugh:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/47863-i-think-its-time-switch.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I am a newbie in a newbie community :(
I think the switcher forum is exactly what us newbies need. No need for other forums as we may get confused and we are confused enough already :)

Heck even cwa107 was a newbie once :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, i5, 8gb 13"
Thanks everyone. I guess my main concern is there is often terminology used that don't understand. I don't know if it's Mac-specific, or computer-geek-specific. :) Even though I've been using Windows for a long time, I've never upgraded any hardware (memory, etc) and I don't know any computer language. I can update and remove software, but that's about my limit.

I just wanted to make sure I was posting in the right place!!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I guess my main concern is there is often terminology used that don't understand. I don't know if it's Mac-specific, or computer-geek-specific. :) Even though I've been using Windows for a long time, I've never upgraded any hardware (memory, etc) and I don't know any computer language. I can update and remove software, but that's about my limit. I just wanted to make sure I was posting in the right place!!
These are unusually friendly, patient forums. All questions welcomed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am a newbie in a newbie community :(
I think the switcher forum is exactly what us newbies need. No need for other forums as we may get confused and we are confused enough already :)

Heck even cwa107 was a newbie once :)

I was the newbie once here also! :D Have to start somewhere.

Welcome to Mac Forums and we will do our best to help you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I was the newbie once here also! :D Have to start somewhere.

Welcome to Mac Forums and we will do our best to help you out.

Holymoly Dtravis, you've been here since the Reagan administration!

I 2nd that this is a very friendly forum. Others I have been on do nothing but bashing other users and their questions. Try to bring up Mac question on a Pc forum and watch what happens.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thanks everyone. I guess my main concern is there is often terminology used that don't understand. I don't know if it's Mac-specific, or computer-geek-specific. :)
As others have noted, we were all new to this at once so you're amongst people who can relate. One thing to keep in mind - some people may correct your usage of terms. This is not done out of malice but rather to help you learn. I'm sure you know that things can get read the wrong way sometimes so I thought I'd just give you a heads up. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Answers

1. Go to crucial.com and you should find memory there that you can easily install yourself and you can even get ram memory for under 50 dollars!

2. Never install any Microsoft programs or sketchy ones from online that are strange

3. The best for that would be Pages Numbers and Keynote. Those are all part of iWork and you can get them on the mac appstore for 20 dollars each.

4. Don't worry about running your computer out of power, Macs have great quality batteries and if you have insurance there is nothing to worry about

5. I would recommend just putting it in sleep mode they both work just great

And 1 more thing-If you don't have OSX Lion yet I highly recommend it, it works great!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
2. Never install any Microsoft programs or sketchy ones from online that are strange
There's nothing wrong with installing Microsoft applications. In fact, Office 2011 is a great office suite. You need to remember that being a supporter of one company doesn't mean that you hav to be against another. The same applies here - being pro-Apple doesn't require you to be anti-MS.

Reaction score

I dont agree 100% with that, some of us need Microsoft office for work and office 2011 is actually pretty nice and solid.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I dont agree 100% with that, some of us need Microsoft office for work and office 2011 is actually pretty nice and solid.

Very true for sure!

Some very much need Office for their work, School, ETC and it's a solid product.

Reaction score
I'm a newbie here too!!! I'm Ed and i'm also apple mad. You should see me around more often i should imagine!! Good to be here!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums. Please be sure to read the Sticky posts at the top of each forum and enjoy your stay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.