PDA

View Full Version : Newbie community?

tragerjs
12-26-2011, 11:00 PM
I know I have been hanging out in the Switcher's area a lot, but maybe a Newbie community would be really good for people who really don't know anything about a Mac. For instances, topics could be:

1. how can I upgrade the memory in my Macbook Pro?
2. What programs should we NEVER install because they will screw things up?
3. What is everyone's preferences for word processing/spreadsheets. Does everyone use MS Office for Mac?
4. How should I be treating my mac? Is it okay to leave the power on all the time if the power supply is always plugged in and I rarely work off the battery?
5. At what points should i at least put it in hibernate mode verus shutting it off? If I use my computer every night, but it needs to sleep all day, what mode should it go in?

IMHO, a Newbie community might be a nice place for some of these questions.

Thanks!
Jen

BrianLachoreVPI
12-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi Jen - Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. In fact, the Switcher's hangout is designed to do exactly what you've described - provide a place for folks who are new to the Mac OS to ask questions and find answers. In fact - I can tell you that I've seen threads addressing each question you've posted above - and all relatively recently. I think if you try using the search function you'll see what I mean. The Switcher's hangout is there specifically for the newcomers or newbies. :)

cwa107
12-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Also, we have a low tolerance for "flaming" in that forum (i.e. ridiculing another member for asking what some might consider to be a silly or frequently asked question). So, please feel comfortable discussing any questions you might have there. We were all new once!

In fact, if you dig deep enough, you can find my first post in that very same forum (from before I even bought my first Mac).

EDIT: Found it... here's one if you want to laugh:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/47863-i-think-its-time-switch.html

Ghost Rider
12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I am a newbie in a newbie community :(
I think the switcher forum is exactly what us newbies need. No need for other forums as we may get confused and we are confused enough already :)

Heck even cwa107 was a newbie once :)

tragerjs
12-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I guess my main concern is there is often terminology used that don't understand. I don't know if it's Mac-specific, or computer-geek-specific. :-) Even though I've been using Windows for a long time, I've never upgraded any hardware (memory, etc) and I don't know any computer language. I can update and remove software, but that's about my limit.

I just wanted to make sure I was posting in the right place!!

Demapples
12-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess my main concern is there is often terminology used that don't understand. I don't know if it's Mac-specific, or computer-geek-specific. :-) Even though I've been using Windows for a long time, I've never upgraded any hardware (memory, etc) and I don't know any computer language. I can update and remove software, but that's about my limit. I just wanted to make sure I was posting in the right place!!
These are unusually friendly, patient forums. All questions welcomed.

dtravis7
12-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I am a newbie in a newbie community :(
I think the switcher forum is exactly what us newbies need. No need for other forums as we may get confused and we are confused enough already :)

Heck even cwa107 was a newbie once :)

I was the newbie once here also! :D Have to start somewhere.

Welcome to Mac Forums and we will do our best to help you out.

Ghost Rider
12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I was the newbie once here also! :D Have to start somewhere.

Welcome to Mac Forums and we will do our best to help you out.

Holymoly Dtravis, you've been here since the Reagan administration!

I 2nd that this is a very friendly forum. Others I have been on do nothing but bashing other users and their questions. Try to bring up Mac question on a Pc forum and watch what happens.

vansmith
12-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess my main concern is there is often terminology used that don't understand. I don't know if it's Mac-specific, or computer-geek-specific. :-)As others have noted, we were all new to this at once so you're amongst people who can relate. One thing to keep in mind - some people may correct your usage of terms. This is not done out of malice but rather to help you learn. I'm sure you know that things can get read the wrong way sometimes so I thought I'd just give you a heads up. :)

MacAddict.
01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
1. Go to crucial.com and you should find memory there that you can easily install yourself and you can even get ram memory for under 50 dollars!

2. Never install any Microsoft programs or sketchy ones from online that are strange

3. The best for that would be Pages Numbers and Keynote. Those are all part of iWork and you can get them on the mac appstore for 20 dollars each.

4. Don't worry about running your computer out of power, Macs have great quality batteries and if you have insurance there is nothing to worry about

5. I would recommend just putting it in sleep mode they both work just great

And 1 more thing-If you don't have OSX Lion yet I highly recommend it, it works great!

vansmith
01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
2. Never install any Microsoft programs or sketchy ones from online that are strangeThere's nothing wrong with installing Microsoft applications. In fact, Office 2011 is a great office suite. You need to remember that being a supporter of one company doesn't mean that you hav to be against another. The same applies here - being pro-Apple doesn't require you to be anti-MS.

Andres87
01-05-2012, 12:43 AM
2. Never install any Microsoft programs or sketchy ones from online that are strange

I dont agree 100% with that, some of us need Microsoft office for work and office 2011 is actually pretty nice and solid.

dtravis7
01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I dont agree 100% with that, some of us need Microsoft office for work and office 2011 is actually pretty nice and solid.

Very true for sure!

Some very much need Office for their work, School, ETC and it's a solid product.

BigEd82
02-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm a newbie here too!!! I'm Ed and i'm also apple mad. You should see me around more often i should imagine!! Good to be here!

chscag
02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Welcome to our forums. Please be sure to read the Sticky posts at the top of each forum and enjoy your stay.