Lytro- Light Field Camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
Hey all, I'm not a huge photography buff but i couldn't resist posting about the new "light field camera" from Lytro. Like i said i don't know much about photography but i wanted to get some opinions from the members here. Do you think this technology is as revolutionary as they claim?

cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I think that as this technology progresses, it will yield some very interesting and impressive results, when it finally hits a more useful format than the extremely limited one it represents now.

I wouldn't pay $500 for that awkward shaped device in which the only real purpose is to shoot for social media and the likes. Just hope they don't promote it as such a thing, else it might burn out real quick.

Constant f2 is awesome, but obviously you're limited to how much you can mess with the depth of field. How does it do in low light I wonder?

Meh. For $700 I'll take an Sony NEX 5N with the 18-55mm lens. Heck, I'd take the Sony over most DSLR's for that matter.

The Lytro is a nice toy, but that's all it is right now IMHO. The technology is very cool, but for the price(s), just doesn't seem very practical to me.

Doug

C

chas_m

Being able to refocus after the fact is an AMAZING bit of technology, I can see this becoming incorporated into other cameras. If you do a lot of portraiture this could be a HUGE timesaver.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I'll be interested to see what comes of this. At the minute, it seems to be a bit of a novelty, but it could possibly become something very interesting in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.